What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scoreboards

what were they trying to do and what really happened, if you don't mind sharing? I went back and read the articles and they weren't really sure.

They would climb up to the top of the crane and then swing off it using a rope. Both were experienced climbers and had jumped the very same crane several times before. I don't know what what went wrong, but the guy swung into the side of the building.

They would climb up to the top of the crane and then swing off it using a rope. Both were experienced climbers and had jumped the very same crane several times before. I don't know what what went wrong, but the guy swung into the side of the building.
Believe it was a rope getting tangled on drop and swinging him in the wrong direction.

I once dropped my soap-on-a-rope and ended up swinging in the wrong direction. You can't be too careful.

The rope is there so you don't drop it. It makes it very difficult to drop it. You obviously wanted to. NTTAWWT.

I remember my brother and I thinking that that guy must have been wasted to try something like that.

I'm sure they had had a few beers, but they were always doing crazy stuff and most certainly were not necessarily wasted.

When I visited Rome, there's a little gift shop at the Vatican. I really wanted "pope on a rope". Alas, they had none. I was very disappointed.

I think I read somewhere that the boards are the size they are because of wind concerns. Any larger and they'd present too big of a surface.

That said, I think it would be cool to extend the ribbon boards all the way around the South side of the stadium.

First I would say the new boards are going to be a great addition to the fan experience at the games.

But I don't think wind load is such a problem. At Nebraska we have a large board, and it is exposed to strong North winds too. Believe me when I say the winds blow hard in Nebraska just like they can in Boulder.

Seems who ever set up the deal for new boards didn't want to spend the jack. Extending the ribbon boards around the south side would be awesome!

First I would say the new boards are going to be a great addition to the fan experience at the games.

But I don't think wind load is such a problem. At Nebraska we have a large board, and it is exposed to strong North winds too. Believe me when I say the winds blow hard in Nebraska just like they can in Boulder.

Seems who ever set up the deal for new boards didn't want to spend the jack. Extending the ribbon boards around the south side would be awesome!

Does Lincoln regularly get winds over 90 mph that will rip the roofs off of buildings?

Serious question. I don't know.

Does Lincoln regularly get winds over 90 mph that will rip the roofs off of buildings?

Regularly? Great question! We get high winds on a regular basis. Especially when thunder storms roll through or winter storms blast their way from the Canada. I would say 70 mph or more is not un heard of. 85-90 mph certainly can happen. We get nasty tornadoes too.

Structural Engineers get paid well to solve wind load problems. Does Colorado have a solid engineering program to draw from?

Regularly? Great question! We get high winds on a regular basis. Especially when thunder storms roll through or winter storms blast their way from the Canada. I would say 70 mph or more is not un heard of. 85-90 mph certainly can happen. We get nasty tornadoes too.

Structural Engineers get paid well to solve wind load problems. Does Colorado have a solid engineering program to draw from?

What an ass.

Perhaps you've heard of NASA in Lincoln? You can look it up. Colorado has great engineers to go along with our lousy classless fan base.

I gotta hand it to Surveyor... For being the smarminess-backhand-compliment-dishing Husker I've ever come across, he knows exactly where the line is at all times and never crosses it

To be fair, regular winds are not really the issue. You want to look at max wind speed over like 5 years. It only takes one time for the ****ing thing to blow down.

And honestly, I don't much care if we have smaller boards than the nebraska. I think everyone would agree that we had the better stadium BEFORE the boards were improved. As long as you can see a replay, it's good enough. I also don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the ribbon boards. They generally just run ads anyway. I'd rather do without them.

Get ready for neg rep (like I just received)....why does that idiot hang out here?

Got ya covered.

I've said it before.. Surveyor is the ugly girl you you slept with when you were young, dumb, and drunk. No matter how many times to tell them it is over and to get off you porch they keep showing back up.

And honestly, I don't much care if we have smaller boards than the nebraska. I think everyone would agree that we had the better stadium BEFORE the boards were improved. As long as you can see a replay, it's good enough. I also don't understand why everyone is so hung up on the ribbon boards. They generally just run ads anyway. I'd rather do without them.

if all they show are ads, i agree.

Got ya covered.

I've said it before.. Surveyor is the ugly girl you you slept with when you were young, dumb, and drunk. No matter how many times to tell them it is over and to get off you porch they keep showing back up.

images

BS, is this you?

To be fair, regular winds are not really the issue. You want to look at max wind speed over like 5 years. It only takes one time for the ****ing thing to blow down.

Good point. The winds coming off the mountain slopes are something else.

+1........................To many places run ads constantly and take away from the game. I actually like what is being constructed for score boards and ribbon boards in Boulder. As I said before, they will really add to the fan experience. And they will be a compliment to the stadium and not be a distraction to the game.

+1........................To many places run ads constantly and take away from the game. I actually like what is being constructed for score boards and ribbon boards in Boulder. As I said before, they will really add to the fan experience. And they will be a compliment to the stadium and not be a distraction to the game.

Nice work. Your first attempt at math. Small steps.....

The strong winds in Boulder are a direct result of the incredible suckitude of the Nub state.

Last edited:

That's what I meant by "regularly". Every year, Boulder gets several 65+ mph. Every couple years we see some in the 80s. And a couple times a decade we'll see downslope winds that clock in at over 100 mph.

Back