What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scrimmage Notes 10/25

From that standpoint I do agree. The problem I saw last year was that we tended to have those infuriating dead periods when we looked like a team that had never been coached in running an offense. In those times we would often see a swing of 10-15 points in favor of our opponents.

I don't know how we solve that problem but having a guy who is willing to work and do the dirty work offensively can't hurt.

That said if we can't be effective scoring with the guys we have available this year then maybe we have found the ***** in Tad's armor.

Tad hasn't had a true point to run the offense since Tomlinson graduated. Spencer was always a combo, who played point better than Ski, but was still learning the position even as a Jr. When he took over a game, it was as a combo not as point. Collier seems like the first talented true point recruit. Just hope that's not a high ankle sprain he has, he can benefit as much as XT, from working against the rest of this roster in practice, until he's ready.

Interesting.... Were guys rotating and cutting or was it more ball movement by quick passes? The "idea" always seemed to be to try to create iso's by ball movement or catch a guy out of position on a rotation. None of this really worked b/c the ball didn't move fast enough and with slow ball movement and no cutters you're pretty easy to defend. One of XJ's comments made it seem like CU was going full on motion offense, did it seem like that was at all happening or possibly the intent?

Pleaseeeeeee

Yes, it was a full motion offense. A lot of pass and screen away rather than ball screen, a lot of cutting, pin downs for Jelly, XJ, Wes, and DT to catch on the perimeter and face up. Both Pri and Rohn emphasized keeping the ball moving and cutting harder. They also made an effort to get into transition often, even after makes. I can't wait to see it when all of the horses are on one team!

Other than Fortune (holy hell), the two guys that impressed me the most were DT & Fletch. Obviously, Jelly was a stud, and XJ, Wes & Ski had flashes, but DT & Fletch jumped out to me. Fletch looked good on D using his condor arms to pick up a few steals. As Snow pointed out to me, there was only one moment where he looked like he didn't really trust his knee and that was on the layup he botched. Other than that, he looked solid. As for DT, I was absolutely terrified when I heard he was going home for the summer. I was fully expecting him to come back out of shape and looking bad, but he looked great out there. Lost quite a bit of weight and seemed more confident. It was a nice surprise there and I feel dumb for doubting him.

I wasn't as sold on XT at the scrimmage as some of you guys. He looked ok, I guess, but he was just kind of there. He didn't do much of anything to stand out.

Other than Fortune (holy hell), the two guys that impressed me the most were DT & Fletch. Obviously, Jelly was a stud, and XJ, Wes & Ski had flashes, but DT & Fletch jumped out to me. Fletch looked good on D using his condor arms to pick up a few steals. As Snow pointed out to me, there was only one moment where he looked like he didn't really trust his knee and that was on the layup he botched. Other than that, he looked solid. As for DT, I was absolutely terrified when I heard he was going home for the summer. I was fully expecting him to come back out of shape and looking bad, but he looked great out there. Lost quite a bit of weight and seemed more confident. It was a nice surprise there and I feel dumb for doubting him.

I wasn't as sold on XT at the scrimmage as some of you guys. He looked ok, I guess, but he was just kind of there. He didn't do much of anything to stand out.

Speaking of Fortune, I was so happy to see our offense actually running a guy around and through baseline traffic to get open 3pt looks.

Only 18 days until the first game!
I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements of all the kids that were frosh last year.

Yes, it was a full motion offense. A lot of pass and screen away rather than ball screen, a lot of cutting, pin downs for Jelly, XJ, Wes, and DT to catch on the perimeter and face up. Both Pri and Rohn emphasized keeping the ball moving and cutting harder. They also made an effort to get into transition often, even after makes. I can't wait to see it when all of the horses are on one team!

This makes me really really happy to hear (and despite your 12 posts I know you from the twitter, so I am not taking this with a grain of salt!) This is what CU needs, ball screens are all well and good and have their place in an offense obviously, but you don't create a lot of confusion for the D. They can see it coming. Screening away can create wide open guys as well as defenders with odd switches defending places on the floor they aren't comfortable. Love it -

This makes me really really happy to hear (and despite your 12 posts I know you from the twitter, so I am not taking this with a grain of salt!) This is what CU needs, ball screens are all well and good and have their place in an offense obviously, but you don't create a lot of confusion for the D. They can see it coming. Screening away can create wide open guys as well as defenders with odd switches defending places on the floor they aren't comfortable. Love it -

:nod: Hope this is something they commit to, and not revert back to the same old after conference play starts.

My biggest complaint with the O last year was, while there was motion, there wasn't much point to it. Relied on players creating their own shot off the dribble, and too often resulted in a bad miss at the end of the shot clock.

Back