What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Season prediction thread

I totally agree with this. I seem to be the only one who is worried about AFA though
Probably because they went 5-7 two years in a row in the Mountain West Conference and they don't have a Monken type coach.

Far too many predictions of a Nebraska loss at home. Even if you actually believe that ****, keep it to yourself and predict a W

I don't think we lose that game. I do think Martinez goes on a tear running the ball, but I don't understand the hype. I think Frost will get them to be contenders again, but they aren't there yet.

CSU - W
Nebraska - W
Air Force - W
@ASU - L
Arizona - W
@Oregon - L
@Wazzu - L
USC - W
@UCLA - W
Stanford - W
Washington - L
@Utah - L

7-5. I think it’ll actually be 6-6 with a loss to USC or Nebraska, but I couldn’t bring myself to predict either of those. So an optimistic 7-5.

Edit: Washington game is at home, not away.

Last edited:
I'm bored at work so, slightly more detailed:

CSU: This should definitely be a W. They're bad, but it's game 1 and they're a rival so could be semi close, but bad.

Nebraska: We beat them last year at their house. I'm not sure how much they've improved, but I like our chances here better than our P12 schedule. They didn't win a single game on the road last year. Year 2 for Frost at USF was quite the improvement on year 1, though..

Air Force: Option is annoying, but they're bad. If we're disciplined we should have this one fairly easy.

@ASU: We suck on the road. We suck at the road in the heat in Tempe. They only lost once at home last season. This will be an interesting test. Can MT get us to be non garbage on the road?

Arizona: Tate scares me, but hopefully our discipline from playing AFA and Nebraska will help us here. And Sumlin inexplicably turning him into a pocket passer. Also, at home. P12 teams suck on the road generally, so, should be a W.

@Oregon: Oregon on the road should be tough. They should be pretty good this year, possible top of the first round QB leading them. We'll probably get rolled.

@Wazzu: Wazzu will never scare me, but Leach randomly has that thing rolling. Idk who their QB is, but I'm sure Leach can find one to run that offense along his walk to work or something. If the DBs aren't a mess, maybe. And if we fix road woes. I do feel like the bottom will fall out from under Wazzu one of these years and they'll go back to being a meh team.

USC: Just can't predict a W over Trojan. Helton is probably fired by this point in the year and they'll go on a run under their inspired new interim coach somehow. It is at home, though.. and someday we're bound to beat those guys.

@UCLA: idk, the Chipper era started out rough, but their schedule last year was tough too. DTR looked solid last year, but isn't really "scary" yet. If the wheels are falling off the Chipwagon this might be a nice road win. Also, road game.

Stanford: I think they're going to be really good this year, but I kinda think that every year. Costello is really good, if they take the training wheels off and let him play they could be challenging UO/UW for the north. It is a home game, though.. and we might be desperate for a win. Best chance for a big upset here.

@Washington: I think they could be really good this year with Eason at QB. If he steps in and plays to his talent level, they could be playoff contenders. and on the road. No chance unless Eason is a disaster.

@Utah: I'm not buying the hype. They might be the best South team this year, but that isn't saying much. They do have an actual QB for once and as always the stout DL, but we seem to always play them hard. We might have to win this to get to a bowl so I like our chances here.

So..
2 for sure wins, CSU and AFA
3 I like our chances: Nebraska, UCLA, and Arizona
4 could go either way but probably lose more than we win here: ASU, Wazzu, USC, Utah
3 likely L: Washington, Oregon, Stanford

2 + 2 of the 2nd group + 1-3 from the 3rd group and 0 from last group = 5-7 wins, somewhere in there.

I think it gives a talented team a little extra motivation when everybody is writing you off. This team is better than most people than people think and really under performed last year. I don't think it will be a repeat of 2016, but this is not a 3-4 win team.

CSU - W
Nebraska - W
Air Force - W
@ASU - W
Arizona - W
@Oregon - L
@Wazzu - L
USC - W
@UCLA - W
Stanford - L
@Washington - L
@Utah - W

I'm bored at work so, slightly more detailed:

CSU: This should definitely be a W. They're bad, but it's game 1 and they're a rival so could be semi close, but bad.

Nebraska: We beat them last year at their house. I'm not sure how much they've improved, but I like our chances here better than our P12 schedule. They didn't win a single game on the road last year. Year 2 for Frost at USF was quite the improvement on year 1, though..

Air Force: Option is annoying, but they're bad. If we're disciplined we should have this one fairly easy.

@ASU: We suck on the road. We suck at the road in the heat in Tempe. They only lost once at home last season. This will be an interesting test. Can MT get us to be non garbage on the road?

Arizona: Tate scares me, but hopefully our discipline from playing AFA and Nebraska will help us here. And Sumlin inexplicably turning him into a pocket passer. Also, at home. P12 teams suck on the road generally, so, should be a W.

@Oregon: Oregon on the road should be tough. They should be pretty good this year, possible top of the first round QB leading them. We'll probably get rolled.

@Wazzu: Wazzu will never scare me, but Leach randomly has that thing rolling. Idk who their QB is, but I'm sure Leach can find one to run that offense along his walk to work or something. If the DBs aren't a mess, maybe. And if we fix road woes. I do feel like the bottom will fall out from under Wazzu one of these years and they'll go back to being a meh team.

USC: Just can't predict a W over Trojan. Helton is probably fired by this point in the year and they'll go on a run under their inspired new interim coach somehow. It is at home, though.. and someday we're bound to beat those guys.

@UCLA: idk, the Chipper era started out rough, but their schedule last year was tough too. DTR looked solid last year, but isn't really "scary" yet. If the wheels are falling off the Chipwagon this might be a nice road win. Also, road game.

Stanford: I think they're going to be really good this year, but I kinda think that every year. Costello is really good, if they take the training wheels off and let him play they could be challenging UO/UW for the north. It is a home game, though.. and we might be desperate for a win. Best chance for a big upset here.

@Washington: I think they could be really good this year with Eason at QB. If he steps in and plays to his talent level, they could be playoff contenders. and on the road. No chance unless Eason is a disaster.

@Utah: I'm not buying the hype. They might be the best South team this year, but that isn't saying much. They do have an actual QB for once and as always the stout DL, but we seem to always play them hard. We might have to win this to get to a bowl so I like our chances here.

So..
2 for sure wins, CSU and AFA
3 I like our chances: Nebraska, UCLA, and Arizona
4 could go either way but probably lose more than we win here: ASU, Wazzu, USC, Utah
3 likely L: Washington, Oregon, Stanford

2 + 2 of the 2nd group + 1-3 from the 3rd group and 0 from last group = 5-7 wins, somewhere in there.
The Washington game is in Boulder.

Not just you - the last 3 or 4 posters incorrectly show that game on the road.

This team has lots of front line talent, not a lot of depth in some areas. It will be as good as the weakest link, which is the DL and DBs. I don't know know what we have there even among some starters, but we damn sure don't know what we have thru the rotation. I'm less concerned with DBs than I am with DL. So essentially, our season will be as good as Brumbaugh allows.

Arizona will be a little tougher this year. Tate had a lot of nagging injuries last year and he became a pocket QB because of that. I fully expect to see '17 Tate this year, until he gets hurt.

We could also improve and have a lot better record. I actually think we are being thrown under the radar a little too much, which could be a good thing.
We were not a terrible team last year and had Viska not got hurt, we easily win 2 or 3 more games. Arizona, Oregon St, Cal are all likely wins last year with a healthy Viska and a very decent chance we would have beat Washington as well.
If he stays healthy and this team responds well to Tucker and is physical, we could surprise. Of course Montez is still our QB, but I don’t think we are as bad as some are saying and we could surprise.
I can tell you I like our chances at going to a bowl more than the “experts” are saying Nebraska wins their division.
thrown under the radar?

Last edited:
To me, this season comes down to how this team responds to adversity. Last year's team was humming along until a second half collapse and a couple of injuries later brought a terrible conclusion to the season. The team and coaching staff didn't have the backbone to bounce back from adversity.

Will this team? I could see us having an early loss and watching the team spiral. (I have too much PTSD from seasons past not to have this reaction every time we lose) Or I could see us bouncing back and proving ourselves after a loss or injury. All signs point to improved conditioning, improved leadership and attitude in the program and I think that helps. There are winnable games in the second half of our schedule, and we will need to show that we can bounce back from a loss in order to make a bowl.

Like most of you, I see us somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5.

Game by game:

csu - W This is the biggest talent gap between the two teams I've seen in a while
nubs - W Too much momentum at home, and nu is very overrated on defense
afa - W Tucker stops the option
@asu - W tough road environment, but asu has question marks at QB, and will be coming off a roadie to michigan st.
ariz - W coming off a bye, Tucker finally figures out Kahlil Tate.
@oregon - L tough road environment, and a short week too
@wash st - L we struggle in the Palouse. Also, this is a must win for WSU as it's a home game sandwiched in between 4 road games.
usc - W The trojans will be exposed by this point in the season and there will be talk of firing Clay Helton
@ucla - L Buffs lose focus after finally clinching bowl eligibility
stanford - L Trees coming off of a bye and 3 straight winnable home games, they could either be rolling, or have gotten soft.
washington - L Washington's schedule is pretty ideal. Both teams coming off a bye here too.
@utah - L Utah is legit. Especially in cold games in November.

6-6
Bottom tier Pac-12 bowl game: W. I don't care who we play.

This is a nasty schedule for the Buffs, in fact it's the worst in conference schedule of all 12 teams. There are 5 road games while Colorado misses CAL and OSU in the North, arguably the 2 worst teams in that division. Utah has their turn at 4 conference road games and misses both Stanford and Oregon. ASU also has their turn at just 4 conference road games and misses UW and Stanford(must be nice). UCLA has 5 conference road games like CU, but they don't play UW or UO. The Buffs could be improved this season and not show it in W-L. Oregon is in a similar boat. Y'all need to beat one of USC/Stanford/UW at home.

Last edited:
This is a nasty schedule for the Buffs, in fact it's the worst in conference schedule of all 12 teams. There are 5 road games while Colorado misses CAL and OSU in the North, arguably the 2 worst teams in that division. Utah has their turn at 4 conference road games and misses both Stanford and Oregon. ASU also has their turn at just 4 conference road games and misses UW and Stanford(must be nice). UCLA has 5 conference road games like CU, but they don't play UW or UO. The Buffs could be improved this season and not show it in W-L. Oregon is in a similar boat. Y'all need to beat one of USC/Stanford/UW at home.
Yes we have 5 road games but we also don't leave the state for the OOC with essentially 3 home games so it evens out. Losing OSU sucks but we still lost to them Lol, so it isn't like we are just trading a win for a harder team. Cal was decent last year and they should compete for the best defense in the conference against this year. Listen Oregon is recruiting at a high level, there is no doubt about that but people seem to be skipping over how disappointing they looked on the field last season. Their fans will say they got really unlucky against Stanford, but they also got lucky as hell against Washington and this season they have to go to Stanford, Washington, USC, ASU and what is essentially a road game against Auburn. They played really poorly on the road last year and they are breaking in a new coordinator from a G5 school.

Now I am in no way saying we are going to beat Oregon this year, I had that as our hardest game along with @ Utah and at home against Washington. But outside of those three games there isn't a team that should scare anyone. Stanford isn't bringing back a lot and they haven't been themselves recently. USC could potentially be a tough team I guess but they could also fall apart with that coaching staff. UCLA is young and losing talent by the year. Arizona should be a win in Boulder. Nebraska is a tough rivalry game but we get it at home and early when those kids are going to be huffing and puffing at altitude. @ WSU early in the season before it gets cold is a good break. There are a lot of possibilities there.

CSU- These idiots will never be good. - W
NU - I don't like our chances. Viska will get his, but Nebby gets a dub - L
Air Force-W
@ ASU- Herm actually surprised me and although close I think we go down - L
Arizona- Dumpster Fire - W
@ Oregon- Too much O for our D - L
@ Wazzu- Pirate is a stud - L
USC - L
@ UCLA- Kind of a toss up game - W
Stanford-L
Washington-L
@ Utah-L

Mel hopefully can get us progressing, but that's a tough schedule and our D is incredibly thin. More than anything I just want to see us progress.

Back