What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo and Lindgren Cause of CUs Misery

We suck because of multiple reasons/players/coaches, but repeatedly those two have done nothing to win games we could and should have.
Bolded is pretty silly coming off a game where Lindgren directed the O to over 500 yards and 31 points. Done more? surely. Done nothing? Inane.

While the defense has been gashed and given up big yards, over the past two years, they have kept CU in games but faltered late due to completely inept play calling and/or execution by Sefo.

Lindgren and Sefo are equally to blame from bad play calling to bad execution. I looked back at CU's 10 winnable games in the last two years and came up with these items starting from recent to past:

'15 Arizona-Buffs go 5 straight series of Punts of 6 plays or less after going up 24-17 early in the 3rd
'15 Oregon-4 Punts and a Fumble when CU has the chance to put pressure on Ducks
'15 Hawaii-Start the game with 4 Punts, INT and a fumble. To end game, we get fumble, FG, Downs, 4 Punts and Downs to end the game
'14 Utah-INT for Pick 6 and 3 Punts to end the game
'14 Zona-2 Punts and 2 Fumbles after opening TD. 3 Punts, Int and Downs to End game
'14 Washington-Fumble, INT, Fumble, 3 Punts and Downs to End Game (7 series of no scores)
'14 UCLA-Started game w/ 5 Punts and INT, Start 2nd half w/ 3 Punts. How we went into OT is beyond me!
Ommitted due to not being on offense but '14 CAL-Late TD by Sefo hurt when we could have kept pressure instead of playing catch-up. But again omitted
'14 OSU-Punt, Downs, Int, Downs in critical juncture
'14 ASU- 3 Punts and Int to start game, 3 Downs and Interception out of last 5 drives
'14 CSU-3 Punts and Downs to End Game

Late to the party here, but seriously STFU.

God forbid we ask a defense to continue to hold an opponent under 30 points when we have a lead. I know we haven't seen that in a while here at CU, but it can (and regularly does!) happen in other parts of college football.

I don't get the stockholm syndrome **** that's going on in this thread for the defense. They've been ****ty for at least 5 years, and are (maybe) marginally less ****ty this year. Lord Almighty, if this is how CU fans react after a QB averages 8 YPA, completes 65% of his passes and accounts for ALL FOUR TDs the offense could muster with 0 turnovers, I hate to see how we'd react if Jordan "Captain Checkdown" Webb were still driving the offense.

I'll wait to tell Sefo "good job" when he suits up at safety and prevents consecutive 90+ yard drives.

I don't care who the quarterback is, they are going to look terrible when they are always running for their lives because the OL can't block a three man rush.

I don’t understand all the Sefo hate. Give him an o-line and he is an average college quarterback and the best one we’ve had since Klatt. I will take him over Bernard Jackson any day.

He isn't the solution but at this point who on the roster is the solution.

How many college teams have a QB who changes significant numbers of games into wins. Most are happy to have a guy who gives them a chance.

When you look at it "solution" QBs are rare. I'd love to have one and CU hasn't done a good job of recruiting guys who even have a chance of being one but it isn't like they are falling off trees. Look how many NFL teams don't even have a decent QB much less college programs.

This is why I love the annual "Let's go recruit a superstar QB from the JUCO ranks" threads. Not exactly a lot of those guys either and the ones who are there tend to have much more appealing offers than CU.

Sefo isn't the solution but he isn't the problem either. We are much less effective on the LOS, both offensively and defensively, than we are at QB. That is where games tend to be won or lost.

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
AZ - Anu Solomon
114 182 1404 62.6 7.71 70 13 0 10 151.0 5-2, 2nd in Pac 12 - South
ASU - Mike Bercovici
160 273 1846 58.6 6.76 93 14 5 21 128.7 4-3, 2nd in Pac 12 - South
CAL - Jarod Goff
150 225 1970 66.7 8.76 75 17 9 14 157.2 5-1, 2nd in Pac 12 - North
Ore - Vernon Adams
57 96 853 59.4 8.89 48 6 2 9 150.5 4-3, 4th in Pac 12 - North
Stanford - Kevin Hogan
89 135 1286 65.9 9.53 93 12 3 7 170.8 5-1, 1st in Pac 12 - North
U$C - Cody Kessler
135 197 1818 68.5 9.23 83 17 5 15 169.4 3-3, 4th in Pac 12 - South
Utah - Travis Wilson
93 137 980 67.9 7.15 54 7 3 7 140.4 6-0, 1st in Pac 12 - South

I count 7. In one conference.
Compare to:
CU - Sefo Liufau
144 237 1730 60.8 7.30 72 8 3 19 130.7 3-4, 6th in Pac 12 - South

The only one who is even close is ASU - and we've seen that head's up. Call me when Sefo wins us a game. ANY game. Every win he's had with us has had little to nothing to do with him. Maybe CSU his freshman year. Maybe. Since then???

Why is it ok for us to lose to a team that swaps QBs in the 4th q, yet it is COMPLETELY INSANE to even SUGGEST we try the same thing? If Randall is so bad he can't beat Solomon in practice, how could he EVER do ANYTHING on the field?

I don’t understand all the Sefo hate. Give him an o-line and he is an average college quarterback and the best one we’ve had since Klatt. I will take him over Bernard Jackson any day.

I agree. I still have some qualms with Sefo but I would love to see him behind that 2001 offensive line. Hell DBT could probably win some games QBing behind that line.

AZ - Anu Solomon
ASU - Mike Bercovici
CAL - Jarod Goff
Ore - Vernon Adams
Stanford - Kevin Hogan
U$C - Cody Kessler
Utah - Travis Wilson

Compare to:
CU - Sefo Liufau

The only one who is even close is ASU - and we've seen that head's up. Call me when Sefo wins us a game. ANY game. Every win he's had with us has had little to nothing to do with him. Maybe CSU his freshman year. Maybe. Since then???

Why is it ok for us to lose to a team that swaps QBs in the 4th q, yet it is COMPLETELY INSANE to even SUGGEST we try the same thing? If Randall is so bad he can't beat Solomon in practice, how could he EVER do ANYTHING on the field?
1. Bolded is completely insane. Hilariously insane when you think about when Sefo started actually playing football for CU. Credibility builder!
2. Maybe our backup QBs aren't as good as zona's?

AZ - Anu Solomon
ASU - Mike Bercovici
CAL - Jarod Goff
Ore - Vernon Adams
Stanford - Kevin Hogan
U$C - Cody Kessler
Utah - Travis Wilson

Compare to:
CU - Sefo Liufau

What part of "Team game" don't you understand. This isn't some video game, this is a game where a QB (and RB and WR) are dependant on other players to do their job and to accumulate statistics.

The statistics you quote are meaningless without the context of the team around them. I know Oregon fans who think Adams is terrible and he must be, Oregon has lost more games this year than last year and it is all about the QB of course.

That is why this whole argument is stupid. Nobody is reasonably arguing the Sefo is a great or even good QB. Put any of those QBs on your list on the Buffs though and how many more wins do we have? Maybe one or two, I'm going with one so far.

Fans always love to talk QB because that is what fans watch, he is the guy who handles the ball. He isn't god though, how the other 11 guys on offense play, how his entire team plays has a big influence on if he wins or loses.

To think that replacing Sefo would magically make us a bowl contender is laughable, we could and probably should be better at QB, but we are a bad team. Not just a team with a bad QB.

AZ - Anu Solomon
ASU - Mike Bercovici
CAL - Jarod Goff
Ore - Vernon Adams
Stanford - Kevin Hogan
U$C - Cody Kessler
Utah - Travis Wilson

Compare to:
CU - Sefo Liufau

First of all, I'm glad all 7 of those QBs are winning games on their own with zero support around them.

Secondly, if you've paid attention to previous threads and posts, you'd know that Randall is their "change of pace" QB that they often bring into the game to add the QB run element to their offense. He isn't a polished passer, but he is a much better runner than Solomon, hence the face that he is AZ's 2nd leading rusher. CU doesn't have a QB on the roster with the same abilities.

That is why this whole argument is stupid. Nobody is reasonably arguing the Sefo is a great or even good QB. Put any of those QBs on your list on the Buffs though and how many more wins do we have? Maybe one or two, I'm going with one so far.

I think we beat Hawaii and Arizona with a lot of those QBs replacing Sefo. I still think we lose to ASU and Oregon. So 1 or 2 sounds pretty solid to me.

I have been pretty critical of Sefo's missing open receivers. There is no denying that he has not been accurate on too many throws. Some that have killed drives or missed on big gainers. That said, you can't blame him solely for the team's woes, even with the inaccuracy he brings a lot to the team in fight and leadership.

Gehrke is much less accurate, so if a change is to be made it would have to be Apsay and I am not sure Apsay would survive the punishment that Sefo takes week in and week out. I also think Sefo underplayed his shoulder injury. Look for his accuracy to improve as he heals. We should have given him a few games, or at least a few snaps, off and let Apsay get experience while Sefo was hurt. That made no sense to me at all. I hope Sefo is 100% for OSU. We need him to hit some passes this week.

Reactions: aik
We should have given him a few games, or at least a few snaps, off and let Apsay get experience while Sefo was hurt. That made no sense to me at all.
This. especially the bolded. Get Apsay some meaningful snaps. Don't ask him to win the game. Don't ask him to play the whole game. Let him spell Sefo for a couple series and also get some real game experience. It would be good for both of them.

This. especially the bolded. Get Apsay some meaningful snaps. Don't ask him to win the game. Don't ask him to play the whole game. Let him spell Sefo for a couple series and also get some real game experience. It would be good for both of them.
Totally reasonable to get the backups actual snaps. But, as we know, this staff doesn't do that.

Totally reasonable to get the backups actual snaps. But, as we know, this staff doesn't do that.

J-Mac has played.

120px-Transparent_Trollface2.png

The buffs don't play complimentary football. Their offense and defense never click at the same time.
Absolutely correct!!

Same thing every game. Start slow, get better and score a couple times in a row, then do nothing in the fourth.

The defense definitely deserves some blame, no denying that. That said, for the first time in a long time, I feel we are getting a stop if the opposing team needs more than 3 yards on 3rd down. That alone is improvement imo. Nowhere near good enough, and we don't force enough 3rd and medium/long but we are getting there in a conference with a lot of good offenses and a number of injuries to an already bad front 7.

What part of "Team game" don't you understand. This isn't some video game, this is a game where a QB (and RB and WR) are dependant on other players to do their job and to accumulate statistics.

The statistics you quote are meaningless without the context of the team around them. I know Oregon fans who think Adams is terrible and he must be, Oregon has lost more games this year than last year and it is all about the QB of course.

Fans always love to talk QB because that is what fans watch, he is the guy who handles the ball. He isn't god though, how the other 11 guys on offense play, how his entire team plays has a big influence on if he wins or loses.

To think that replacing Sefo would magically make us a bowl contender is laughable, we could and probably should be better at QB, but we are a bad team. Not just a team with a bad QB.

Put any of those QBs on the roster and we have 3 more wins, THIS YEAR. Hawaii, ORE and AZ.

Put any of them on the team last year, and we win at least 2 more. UCLA / CAL.

First of all, I'm glad all 7 of those QBs are winning games on their own with zero support around them.

Secondly, if you've paid attention to previous threads and posts, you'd know that Randall is their "change of pace" QB that they often bring into the game to add the QB run element to their offense. He isn't a polished passer, but he is a much better runner than Solomon, hence the face that he is AZ's 2nd leading rusher. CU doesn't have a QB on the roster with the same abilities.

So, an All Pac-12 WR, another 4* (Fields) are zero support? Best RB to come out of Colorado in 5 yrs?

Without looking it up, name a WR on CAL.

There are NO QBs on CU's roster than run better than Sefo? Are you serious? I want some of what you're smoking.

I'm 40 and I can probably out run Sefo.

I have been pretty critical of Sefo's missing open receivers. There is no denying that he has not been accurate on too many throws. Some that have killed drives or missed on big gainers. That said, you can't blame him solely for the team's woes, even with the inaccuracy he brings a lot to the team in fight and leadership.

Gehrke is much less accurate, so if a change is to be made it would have to be Apsay and I am not sure Apsay would survive the punishment that Sefo takes week in and week out. I also think Sefo underplayed his shoulder injury. Look for his accuracy to improve as he heals. We should have given him a few games, or at least a few snaps, off and let Apsay get experience while Sefo was hurt. That made no sense to me at all. I hope Sefo is 100% for OSU. We need him to hit some passes this week.

His accuracy was horrible in the Hawaii game, BEFORE his injury. He is so afraid to make a mistake, he can't or won't throw the ball when he needs too. He has always locked on to receivers, can't make it past the 2nd read, has happy feet. He runs the read option, yet never keeps the ball? Not hard for D coordinators to figure that out.

You ask if Apsay can "take the punishment" - first off we'll never know cause he never sees the field. second, if he can't, he shouldn't be on the roster. Third, did Randall play the whole game? Nope. He's a change of pace. Why aren't we smart enough to even TRY that?

Zandi loves Amendment 64,

Any of those other QBs and we beat Hawaii, Oregon, and Arizona. Why not throw in Arizona State as well, heck why not just state that we would also go ahead and beat Utah, Stanford, USC, UCLA.

Great solution, bench Sefo and we go undefeated, I never knew it was that easy. Why isn't your name in the Next coach thread.

I'd love to see Zandi and tini together in a room. Who can make the most statement of absolutes that are absolutely ridiculous.

So, an All Pac-12 WR, another 4* (Fields) are zero support? Best RB to come out of Colorado in 5 yrs?

Without looking it up, name a WR on CAL.

There are NO QBs on CU's roster than run better than Sefo? Are you serious? I want some of what you're smoking.

I'm 40 and I can probably out run Sefo.
Best RB to come out of Colorado in the last 5 years? Who are you speaking of? Lindsay? I think Kalen Ballage and Christian McCaffrey might have something to say about that...

And no, CU doesn't have a QB on the roster that can come even remotely close to the running ability of Randall for AZ and make a difference for us like he did.

As for my supporting cast comment, I'm referring to more than just 3 offensive skill players. All those QBs you listed have Offensive Lines that are head and shoulders better than CU's and they all have 2nd and 3rd string front 7 players that would be runaway starters here.

Poor execution plus playcalling which inexplicably fails to adjust to fit the way the game is going plus being unable to close on recruits also being offered by peer institutions does not equal the makeup of a football team that's going bowling. It would be magical if our quarterback could play mistake-free for 60 minutes and be perfectly healthy to offset everything else we have working against us. That's never happened.

I'm in full agreement that building up the lines should be at the top of our very long to-do list. Holding the point of attack will give our quarterback time to make decisions and not throw off his back foot while running for his life. It will give our linebackers time to judge the play and move toward the ball. It will help scheme cover up for our many, many other deficiencies. The staff just needs to commit to it and bust their ass recruiting it. Otherwise, we're going to end up with every future quarterback getting battered beyond recognition and making rushed throws while running for his life. Then we'll keep putting the losses disproportionately on that performance and that of his coordinator.

Back