What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau No Longer Pursuing NFL, Will Finish Degree in Boulder

superdeluxe

Saw this article pop up here in the Seattle area, I didn't see it posted and I thought it would be interest for Buff fans!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/high-school/article194412929.html

Sefo Liufau is ready to live a regular life again.
The former Bellarmine Prep and Colorado quarterback said he is no longer pursuing an NFL career.
Instead, Liufau is returning to Boulder on Friday to enroll in two classes during spring semester to finish his undergraduate degree in economics.
“Actually it was a couple of days ago that I decided to walk away from the game,” Liufau said from the Bellarmine Prep campus at the Tacoma Athletic Commision’s distinguished achievement award ceremony on Thursday. “It was very tough. I have been struggling with it ever since I left Tampa Bay ... whether I should continue to pursue (the NFL) or not.
“(The decision) ultimately came down to injuries.”
Liufau, The News Tribune’s 2012 All-Area football player of the year, set or shared 99 team or individual records while a four-year starter with the Buffaloes.
The two biggest career marks Liufau owns is in passing yards (9,763) and total offense (10,702).
He signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent last May. He injured his knee in the final preseason game against the Washington Redskins. He was placed on injured reserve, and waived with the settlement two days later.
“There is so much more life to live. There are so many more things to do in life,” Liufau said. “Football has taught me a lot. It is time for me to move on from playing.”
As far as his immediate future, the 23-year-old Tacoma native said he is looking forward to “college life as a regular student” for the next four months.
After graduation in May, he isn’t sure what he will do next.
“People have told me I’d be a good coach,” Liufau said. “The door is definitely open for everything.”

I'm glad he's done. That kid got destroyed for CU. Never seen a tougher QB. I look forward to what he accomplishes.

Would expect that the characteristics that made him what he was as a Buff will serve him well. He doesn't quit, he is respected as a leader by others, he sets very high standards for himself then leads in reaching them.

How did he not graduate in 5 years? Is he finishing a second degree?
My daughter just graduated from the Leeds Business School and had Sefo in several classes. She didn't have the same admiration for him that I did based upon how he handled himself in those classes. I was very appreciative of Sefo but that was because I only saw him as a player. She saw him as a fellow student that also played football. She did say that his teammates absolutely loved him and would go through a brick wall for him, but he was one of the players she didn't much care for.

Guess that is what makes the college football experience so special since these kids may know the players as fellow students too, and their opinions can be stronger based upon that. I hope Sefo has all the success in the world, and appreciated everything he went through for CU!!

He's a great buff, and if he wants to coach......give him a quality control or GA spot. Having a guy like that around only benefits the program.

My daughter just graduated from the Leeds Business School and had Sefo in several classes. She didn't have the same admiration for him that I did based upon how he handled himself in those classes. I was very appreciative of Sefo but that was because I only saw him as a player. She saw him as a fellow student that also played football. She did say that his teammates absolutely loved him and would go through a brick wall for him, but he was one of the players she didn't much care for.

Guess that is what makes the college football experience so special since these kids may know the players as fellow students too, and their opinions can be stronger based upon that. I hope Sefo has all the success in the world, and appreciated everything he went through for CU!!
I knew Sefo in the classroom as well, and found him to be bright, engaged and prepared, for what it's worth. I wish him well.

Only the second three year captain in the history of the football program. 2016 was a joy to watch and he was the heart and soul of that team.

Best of luck in your future endeavors Mr. Liufau. Finishing your degree is never a bad idea.

He was two classes short in three and a half years. Now to take the final two and walk away with his degree. Great job Sefo!

You can ask the same question 2 probably close to half of the students who have gone through 4 years of CU. Those students didn't have to balance a full-time athletic schedule.

Football takes a huge chunk of time and being captain and QB takes even more.

Also depending on the major it can be hard to schedule all the required classes around the times required to be a varsity athlete. Certain jr. and sr. level classes are only offered once or twice a semester and sometimes only once a year. Run into a couple of those classes and try to wrap them around the time requirements of a sport and he did very well to get this far along this fast.

My brother has a buddy with an econ degree from the sheep school (though I'm sure he has an MBA by now) and is making bank, which is no slight on DBT's kid, but sometimes you just have to end up the right place at the right time.

That being the case, it helps to have connections, which as a former college football player, I'm sure he'll have.

Has anyone heard if he has any interest in being a grad assistant? Or if he isn't eligible for a GA position, another role on staff to start on the coaching path?

Back