What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

September 24 - Colorado @ The Ohio State - GAME THREAD

When will we win a road game?

• Stanford

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Washington

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Arizona st

• UCLA

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Utah

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 20 32.3%

• 2014 +

• Never

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
Just like that?
GENIE-1.gif

Will be really interesting to see how Embree responds to this game. Will he replace a lot of starters?

WSU is a huge game. Not that I'm expecting a good season, but if we lose that one, it's scary to think how bad it could get. Teams like Oregon and Stanford will probably blow us out if we play like we did today. We could have been down by five TDs by half time if OSU had an explosive offense.

Will be really interesting to see how Embree responds to this game. Will he replace a lot of starters?

WSU is a huge game. Not that I'm expecting a good season, but if we lose that one, it's scary to think how bad it could get. Teams like Oregon and Stanford will probably blow us out if we play like we did today. We could have been down by five TDs by half time if OSU had an explosive offense.

He has no choice Stewart and Orms are hurt. Big game for CU. A bowl appearnce should be the goal.

Even as disappointed as I am I still see some positives out of this game. Most of our best players are young guys, it is the Srs. who are letting us down frequently. As bad as today was I saw a lot of players who didn't quit, they kept trying even when down in the fourth quarter, last year this would have been anothe Mizzou type disaster, Ohio State would have gladly put 50 on us.

I am frustrated by a lot of the seemingly simple mistakes, the bad KOs, the holding calls behind the play, the failure to line up correctly. Unfortunately these and worse have been the norm for five years and aren't going to change instantly.

Embree is also hamstrung by a gross lack of talent. We all complain about Manke but this team has a roster full of Mankes, guys who may try hard but are simply to small, slow, or unskilled to belong on the field against AQ conference teams. It is easy to say bench a guy but not so easy when you realize that the guy you put in belongs on the roster at Northern Colorado or at best at CSU.

I am not and will not give up hope or support for these Buffs. We already have better talent coming in next year than Hawkins recruited/developed over his last 3 years at least (with a few rare exceptions.) Would I like to see some different things done? Yes, but I am going to support Embree till he proves that I shouldn't be supporting him.

The hardest thing to change, the hardest thing to replace, the hardest thing to overcome is attitude. That is Embrees huge challenge. I know that he has some plans to do that but it is hard when you start thin and then start playing match the pieces on the O-line, when the most physically gifted guy you have at CB goes out with an ACL before the season even starts, etc.

I am frustrated and I imagine I will be frustrated all year, this team has to much schedule and to little game for this year. I stuck with them through Slick Rick tearing them down, I stuck with them while Barnett got the Duke lacrosse treatment without administrative support and stopped recruiting. Most dissapointing I stuck with them through the delusions and fantasies of the boys from Boise. I will give Embree at least a fair shot in light of all that before I turn on him and the team.

New coaches, same results. Poor coaching offensively and special teams. Too many penalties, still the slow start offensively, and questionable play calling at times.

I really thought we'd seen the end of rugby style roll out punts. But obviously CU has decided that they're taking a chance on NFL experienced coaches who now have on-the-job training at the college level. The defense played well enough to win, that is of course without the offensive and special teams blunders. Ohio State is obviously the better team - talent wise and especially coaching. This team has a long, long way to go, and that is more than just talent related.

Even as disappointed as I am I still see some positives out of this game. Most of our best players are young guys, it is the Srs. who are letting us down frequently. As bad as today was I saw a lot of players who didn't quit, they kept trying even when down in the fourth quarter, last year this would have been anothe Mizzou type disaster, Ohio State would have gladly put 50 on us.

I am frustrated by a lot of the seemingly simple mistakes, the bad KOs, the holding calls behind the play, the failure to line up correctly. Unfortunately these and worse have been the norm for five years and aren't going to change instantly.

Embree is also hamstrung by a gross lack of talent. We all complain about Manke but this team has a roster full of Mankes, guys who may try hard but are simply to small, slow, or unskilled to belong on the field against AQ conference teams. It is easy to say bench a guy but not so easy when you realize that the guy you put in belongs on the roster at Northern Colorado or at best at CSU.

I am not and will not give up hope or support for these Buffs. We already have better talent coming in next year than Hawkins recruited/developed over his last 3 years at least (with a few rare exceptions.) Would I like to see some different things done? Yes, but I am going to support Embree till he proves that I shouldn't be supporting him.

The hardest thing to change, the hardest thing to replace, the hardest thing to overcome is attitude. That is Embrees huge challenge. I know that he has some plans to do that but it is hard when you start thin and then start playing match the pieces on the O-line, when the most physically gifted guy you have at CB goes out with an ACL before the season even starts, etc.

I am frustrated and I imagine I will be frustrated all year, this team has to much schedule and to little game for this year. I stuck with them through Slick Rick tearing them down, I stuck with them while Barnett got the Duke lacrosse treatment without administrative support and stopped recruiting. Most dissapointing I stuck with them through the delusions and fantasies of the boys from Boise. I will give Embree at least a fair shot in light of all that before I turn on him and the team.

Well said

Where did you go and how was it? If I still lived in Colorado I would not be wasting time watching football on beautiful fall Saturdays . . .

Where did you go and how was it? If I still lived in Colorado I would not be wasting time watching football on beautiful fall Saturdays . . .

why? Football is still fun when the game is in Boulder. Oregon is really the only team we should get blown out at home.

You mean the one that he had 10 actual recruiting days to put together and then his second that is still 5 months till signing day?

10 days? He was hired in December. He had roughly 2 months to recruit.

Regardless of how long he had to recruit - the 1st class wasn't well thought of, and our current crop for the 2012 signing period isn't exactly burning up the recruiting rankings (presently #11 in the Pac 12 according to Rivals).

At some point, the recruiting has to SIGNIFICANTLY improve, if all the excuse makers want to keep from painting themselves into a corner.

All the people talking about the talent, have you taken a look at Embree's recruiting classes so far?

I don't think last year's class was all that bad, all things considered. In a few years we can look back and really give it a good once over, but early returns seem pretty good. Certainly better than whatever Hawk was about to haul in.

As for this year.. as unleash said, hard to pass judgment on a class that isn't even complete yet, but I sure do hope we do better in the second half than we did in the first half.

Regardless of how long he had to recruit - the 1st class wasn't well thought of, and our current crop for the 2012 signing period isn't exactly burning up the recruiting rankings (presently #11 in the Pac 12 according to Rivals).

At some point, the recruiting has to SIGNIFICANTLY improve, if all the excuse makers want to keep from painting themselves into a corner.

nope, the majority of the time he was on the job it was the dead period and he still had to fill up more than half the class. There was only like 10 actual days he could contact players.

And I agree, recruiting needs to get better, but it is unfair to critique his class right now.

Mike Bohn, wake up and start scheduling games for this team to get WINS.
He did that, Eastern Washington, Montana St, Toledo and that didn't work out all that well either. All the same I'd rather take a beating at the hands of OSU than Montana St.

Just watched the game on DVR....scary, yes. Jon - fire your special teams coach.

Look at those dumb ass KSU pricks. An equivalent game (MIA- KSU) in my mind, to our game. They were outclassed in the talent dept, but they won. If we limited our penalties and special team blunders, we would have been in the game.

This is too much. He had like 10-15 active days and some of the guys already show the promise. And you are blaming that class?

I can see I had my expectations set too high. They aren't ready yet. This is starting to look similar in some ways as it did when coach Mac first started out. I hate to think it is going to take three or four years to see a team that is a threat to win week in week out but it seems like this is going to be the case. No quick fixes here from the look of it.

I'm not down on Embree, the rest of the staff or the kids. They program just isn't ready to be a winner yet. Too many years of losing and the scandal before that. Those two things really have burnt this thing to the ground. I think Embree is starting all over at this point

This is too much. He had like 10-15 active days and some of the guys already show the promise. And you are blaming that class?

I'm not blaming. I'm not making excuses. In fact I'm sick and tired of the excuses. Just go out and play good, hard, smart football, and ****ing win. This team plays like garbage. I don't care if it is Hawkins players or Barnett's players or McCartney's players or Neuheisel's players -- how hard is it to line up correctly? How hard is it to kick the ball down the middle of the field? How hard is it to know the snap? There is not a lot of talent on this team but absolutely horrific penalties and even worse special team play would doom even a GOOD team. I've seen middle school teams that looked better than this CU team has looked so far this year, knew how to line up, knew the snap count, didn't commit silly personal foul penalties, didn't commit stupid holding penalties, etc.

You can run around making excuses all day long about how there's no talent -- but that excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and it only lasts for so long. Before too long, the players are all Embree's -- then what excuse will you have if they are committing a dozen penalties a game and playing absolutely horrific special teams?

Frank - chill. Your expectations are too high, IMO. If these guys suck this bad in 2 years, then let them have it. Now, you need to give them a break.

How hard is it to kick the ball down the middle of the field?

I've avoided watching any of the DVR of the game, but I think when they actually kicked it down the middle, OSU promptly ran it back 90 yds the other way. Unfortunately, outside of Oliver (who I give high marks to), whatever the special teams touches, turns to ****. The best thing OSU did on kickoffs was to keep it out of the endzone--CU couldn't run it past the 20.

I've sat next to my fair share of experts in Folsom. After every play that doesn't work they chime in some BS. I know everyone does it, but there are those guys who think they should be running a program, but are sitting in the stands with the rest of us.

After a failed 3rd Down Conversion- Run
"Why did they run? I would've passed there"

After a failed 3rd Down conversion- pass
"This coach is an idiot, you run the ball in that situation!"

I could go on and on forever. They are never ever wrong, because they can sit back and assess after the fact. Very irritating.

I'm not blaming. I'm not making excuses. In fact I'm sick and tired of the excuses. Just go out and play good, hard, smart football, and ****ing win. This team plays like garbage. I don't care if it is Hawkins players or Barnett's players or McCartney's players or Neuheisel's players -- how hard is it to line up correctly? How hard is it to kick the ball down the middle of the field? How hard is it to know the snap? There is not a lot of talent on this team but absolutely horrific penalties and even worse special team play would doom even a GOOD team. I've seen middle school teams that looked better than this CU team has looked so far this year, knew how to line up, knew the snap count, didn't commit silly personal foul penalties, didn't commit stupid holding penalties, etc.

You can run around making excuses all day long about how there's no talent -- but that excuse is a self fulfilling prophecy and it only lasts for so long. Before too long, the players are all Embree's -- then what excuse will you have if they are committing a dozen penalties a game and playing absolutely horrific special teams?

Listen, I am not making excuses. I am telling the reason why I feel your blaming is plainly wrong.

If that day comes, I will blame them with you. Now, let's just calm down and see what they can do in the remain of this year. Don't be mad at something not happening yet, please

I've sat next to my fair share of experts in Folsom. After every play that doesn't work they chime in some BS. I know everyone does it, but there are those guys who think they should be running a program, but are sitting in the stands with the rest of us.

After a failed 3rd Down Conversion- Run
"Why did they run? I would've passed there"

After a failed 3rd Down conversion- pass
"This coach is an idiot, you run the ball in that situation!"

I could go on and on forever. They are never ever wrong, because they can sit back and assess after the fact. Very irritating.

I actually don't think the playcalling was that bad. I think it's decent and acceptable. Fans are really good at everything --- in their imagination

I actually don't think the playcalling was that bad. I think it's decent and acceptable.

I thought the playcalling has been pretty good all year. Today is was okay, but not bad like you said. Not bad at all.

Fans are really good at everything --- in their imagination

I thought I had things down when it came to football, but these last years have shown I don't know ****. I've learned a ton here on AllBUffs, I think the most important thing I've learned is how much we as fans don't know.

Sure some here know more than others, but football has a funny way of showing how much you don't know.

Last edited:
Who cares who recruited who? It's a loser's argument. Is this team better than it was last year?

I still support the staff, but I agree with Slade. How hard is it to kick the ball down the middle of the field? How hard is it to select a competent person to field punts? To field a punt at the 2 yard line, and attempt to fair catch another punt with just seconds left in the half? It's ****ing inexcusable. I am terrified every time we punt that it will be blocked. What happened today is not about the players.

Last edited:
Back