What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should CU drop women's tennis? Maybe add Triathlon & Beach VB?

Should CU drop women's tennis? Add beach volleyball and triathlon?

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
There's almost no fan support, the program does not have the facilities it would need to be good, and CU doesn't even have a men's team any more. It also didn't look like the plans for development of the South Campus included having tennis courts in the future.

Maybe RG was sending a message on this when he didn't offer HC Nicole Kenneally a multi-year contract?

Women's Tennis is 8 scholarships.

CU could drop those and more than make up for them with Title IX by adding women's sports for Triathlete (6.5 scholarships) and Beach Volleyball (6.0 scholarships).

CU would likely win national championships in Triathlon.

CU has a Top 25 volleyball program and there's no reason it couldn't replicate that on the sand.

Plus, both would generate more fan & community interest than tennis.

Probably already have the athletes for Triathlon. Starting to think volleyball needs beach to compete for players.

I don’t really care one way or the other. I have no emotional attachment to the tennis program. If dropping tennis and adding some other sport makes sense, go ahead.

I do not think this university should be discussing dropping any sports. We should be able to expand our sports without sacrificing current sports and screwing over those athletes. This is not 1980

Beach volleyball could be interesting

59677fd74f327a9f8ebc0daefde5c337--volleyball-colorado.jpg

Arguments make some sense though. We have player talent in state and the sport fits more with what is popular and what people think Colorado is. Boulder is already a mecca for endurance sports so the triathlon fit would be good as well.

Would prefer though that what @Buffalo Brad is saying be the case, figure out a way to get the money and add sports, not just switch them.

Adding a couple of women's sports would make the balance much easier if we get funding to add a new men's sport as well.

Beach volleyball could be interesting

59677fd74f327a9f8ebc0daefde5c337--volleyball-colorado.jpg

Arguments make some sense though. We have player talent in state and the sport fits more with what is popular and what people think Colorado is. Boulder is already a mecca for endurance sports so the triathlon fit would be good as well.

Would prefer though that what @Buffalo Brad is saying be the case, figure out a way to get the money and add sports, not just switch them.

Adding a couple of women's sports would make the balance much easier if we get funding to add a new men's sport as well.
Funny picture, but if Mesa can have sand VB, so can we. I saw CMU in a sand VB UA tournament in Tucson on the Pac-12 Net this month.
To the main point, there is no reason to drop tennis. We're should be adding more women's sports as the budget allows. Priority 1 should be sand VB.

Funny picture, but if Mesa can have sand VB, so can we. I saw CMU in a sand VB UA tournament in Tucson on the Pac-12 Net this month.
To the main point, there is no reason to drop tennis. We're should be adding more women's sports as the budget allows. Priority 1 should be sand VB.

My vote is beach volleyball.......for obvious reasons.

A top volleyball player in the metroplex just committed to LSU for beach volleyball. Last I checked, the closest beach to Baton Rouge did not have much sand.....I vote for beach VB for CU!

166181-004-BC81612B.jpg

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/emerging-sports-women

Triathlon is an emerging women's sport in the NCAA and would make sense in the Pac-12.

I do not think this university should be discussing dropping any sports. We should be able to expand our sports without sacrificing current sports and screwing over those athletes. This is not 1980

Screwing over those athletes? Unlikely. The athletes would be free to transfer to any other college that offers the sport without having to sit out a year and I believe the school would be required to honor the athletic scholarship of the athletes if they choose to stay at CU.

Oregon State doesn't have women's tennis either so the Pac-12 is at 11 schools including CU for women's tennis. No big deal if CU drops women's tennis since it would have an even 10 schools after the cut.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/emerging-sports-women

Triathlon is an emerging women's sport in the NCAA and would make sense in the Pac-12.

Screwing over those athletes? Unlikely. The athletes would be free to transfer to any other college that offers the sport without having to sit out a year and I believe the school would be required to honor the athletic scholarship of the athletes if they choose to stay at CU.

Oregon State doesn't have women's tennis either so the Pac-12 is at 11 schools including CU for women's tennis. No big deal if CU drops women's tennis since it would have an even 10 schools after the cut.

Bottom line we should not be considering cutting any sport and looking to expand the number we play in. Cutting sports is just ridiculous at this point.

And you and I will just disagree on it not screwing over the athletes. It most certainly does. They committed to the school. Most moved here from out of state. To pull the rug out from under them because for no other reason than to switch sports we participate in most certainly is dickish st the least and definitely puts them in a horrible spot. Can the transfer, sure. Still a sick move that I would be ashamed of as a CU fan.

Bottom line we should not be considering cutting any sport and looking to expand the number we play in. Cutting sports is just ridiculous at this point.

And you and I will just disagree on it not screwing over the athletes. It most certainly does. They committed to the school. Most moved here from out of state. To pull the rug out from under them because for no other reason than to switch sports we participate in most certainly is dickish st the least and definitely puts them in a horrible spot. Can the transfer, sure. Still a sick move that I would be ashamed of as a CU fan.
I said earlier that I have no emotional attachment to the tennis program. You’ve changed my mind. I agree with you on this. We shouldn’t be cutting any programs.

Good point. I'm not sure if there was that much of a backlash when Mike Bohn cut men's tennis.

Good point. I'm not sure if there was that much of a backlash when Mike Bohn cut men's tennis.

Agree but it was not done to add another sport. We are also in a much different situation today. The program might not be rich but it certainly is not broke or anywhere near broke.

Back