What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Folsom go back to artificial turf?

Should Folsom go back to artificial turf?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Grass. Cost and enviro should be left out of the equation. It's a small piece of land. All about game day experience, player performance and safety.

Spent a lot of time during my college career on that field. Love that it is grass and hope they keep it that way. Only improvement I would make to the field, would be to remove a couple rows of seats so they can widen the sidelines.
Widen the sidelines??

I think that widening the sidelines would make Folsom viable for other sporting events, like soccer and lacrosse.
Basically this. Also the way they are currently configured, it is quite dangerous to the athletes IMO. There isn't much room for a running back or receiver to decelerate before getting the edge of a metal bench directly into his knee.

I think that widening the sidelines would make Folsom viable for other sporting events, like soccer and lacrosse.

Basically this. Also the way they are currently configured, it is quite dangerous to the athletes IMO. There isn't much room for a running back or receiver to decelerate before getting the edge of a metal bench directly into his knee.

haha...in order to do this you would need to take out the structure in the south endzone and west stands and move everything to the west...i don't see this happening in the near future.

haha...in order to do this you would need to take out the structure in the south endzone and west stands and move everything to the west...i don't see this happening in the near future.
I don't either. And I think the noise level in Folsom is enhanced with the way it is. For safety, though, I think they should look at a different design for the benches, though. There has to be something they could have that would be functional seating and wouldn't be a safety hazard if you crash into it.

Actually, the ones that provide heating & cooling look like they're better for this and would be an allsome Folsom upgrade.
ABABAB.jpg

Rubber pellets are definitely annoying, and the heat generated from turf is also a drawback for early season day games.
Natural grass is going away in northern stadiums. And the heat thing is probably overstated, considering that places like UT, Ole Miss and UA have turf.

Natural grass is going away in northern stadiums. And the heat thing is probably overstated, considering that places like UT, Ole Miss and UA have turf.
They have turf, and they deal with it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get hot as hell. It's a full rubber surface that is filled with about an inch of black rubber pellets that absorb heat.

I've been on field turf on a late September afternoon. It was hot.

Not totally sure about Ole Miss or uTerus but it seems that zona plays their early season home games at night.

Turf is becoming ever more a natural surface. The old adage that it causes injuries is out. You can put padding underneath now that is actually safer than natural grass.

I think everyone would prefer natural grass, but synthetic turf has a lot more positives than natural grass. I would imagine eventually they will do this with added events taking place in Folsom.

Turf is becoming ever more a natural surface. The old adage that it causes injuries is out. You can put padding underneath now that is actually safer than natural grass.

I think everyone would prefer natural grass, but synthetic turf has a lot more positives than natural grass. I would imagine eventually they will do this with added events taking place in Folsom.
That's where I'm at. One of the thing people talk about is how turf is really hard when you hit it. Not the case any more and if we're talking about cold weather, I don't think there was ever a playing surface tougher on my body than frozen hardpan grass fields. It's also not true any more about the artificial turf surfaces being so grippy that they led to knee injuries. The technology has improved a lot.

That's where I'm at. One of the thing people talk about is how turf is really hard when you hit it. Not the case any more and if we're talking about cold weather, I don't think there was ever a playing surface tougher on my body than frozen hardpan grass fields. It's also not true any more about the artificial turf surfaces being so grippy that they led to knee injuries. The technology has improved a lot.
The technology is consistently changing, like anything else. If you have the budget for it, you can now use coconut fibers and corks as the infill, instead of crumb rubber infill.

If you are worried about the water consumption they just need to install some underground cisterns to trap rainwater and then reclaim the water they use to water the field. That is if trapping rainwater is legal. I know there are some weird laws out there.

Last edited:
By the way...the CU campus is pretty much irrigated with raw (surface) water that was historically used for agricultural irrigation purposes, not potable water. The university owns some serious water rights which they capture in several storage facilities (ponds) and pump around campus through a network of distribution mains. Those water rights are an extremely valuable commodity and part of the University's overall portfolio. They manage their resources very well.

And rainwater harvesting at that scale is still not legal in Colorado because of the water rights history in the state.

By the way...the CU campus is pretty much irrigated with raw (surface) water that was historically used for agricultural irrigation purposes, not potable water. The university owns some serious water rights which they capture in several storage facilities (ponds) and pump around campus through a network of distribution mains. Those water rights are an extremely valuable commodity and part of the University's overall portfolio. They manage their resources very well.

And rainwater harvesting at that scale is still not legal in Colorado because of the water rights history in the state.
Good point. No way will they ever give up even a fraction of their water rights.

I never played on this new stuff so I wouldn't know what it's like, played on the old stuff though. That **** wasn't pleasant.

The new stuff is fine. Imagine how much money the AD could bring in with a summer concert series to go along with the Bolder Boulder. The proximity to pearl street is perfect for that to go along with the setting.

Well stated

The new stuff is fine. Imagine how much money the AD could bring in with a summer concert series to go along with the Bolder Boulder. The proximity to pearl street is perfect for that to go along with the setting.
With so many hotels being built in Boulder right now and more coming with 2 or 3 planned for the Hill along with a conference center, Boulder is making much more sense than ever as an event city.

With so many hotels being built in Boulder right now and more coming with 2 or 3 planned for the Hill along with a conference center, Boulder is making much more sense than ever as an event city.
What hotels are being built? I know there's one going in at the old Benigans, but I wasn't aware of any others.

Boulder is very under served by hotel space.

How long is the Bolder Boulder? I was watching it on Altitude I think and they never did say.

What hotels are being built? I know there's one going in at the old Benigans, but I wasn't aware of any others.

Boulder is very under served by hotel space.
Marriott adding a second property (Residence Inn) in the McGuckin lot on the Canyon side.
At 28th & Canyon where Ead's/The Buff/ Best Western motel used to be, there are 2 hotels going in. One is Embassy Suites, not sure on the other.
On the Hill, the whole block where Bova's and Cosmos are will turn into a big independent hotel.
There's also a boutique hotel going in somewhere on the Hill.
And CU is moving forward with a conference center & hotel at Broadway at Grandview (see below).
grandviewfootprint.jpg

And CU is moving forward with a conference center & hotel at Broadway at Grandview (see below).

There isn't much I miss about Stillwater and Oklahoma State. But they did get one thing right. Okie Lite runs a hotel on campus and ties the operations of the propery as part of a degree in hotel and hospitality management.

With as big an industry tourism and hospitality is in Colorado, it seems like adding a strong hotel and tourism component to CU's degree options makes sense.

Now I understand that CU is a research university and service industries or vacational type training might appear to be shooting low for the academics. But given the role that technology and environmental concern plays in hotel and resort management, it seems like there may be something here. Aerospace brings them. Tourism gives them a quality lodging experience.

The students making calls to donors could probably learn a thing or two from customer management.

I'd like to see any campus hotel and convention do something bold in this space.

Back