What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Folsom go back to artificial turf?

Should Folsom go back to artificial turf?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
There isn't much I miss about Stillwater and Oklahoma State. But they did get one thing right. Okie Lite runs a hotel on campus and ties the operations of the propery as part of a degree in hotel and hospitality management.

With as big an industry tourism and hospitality is in Colorado, it seems like adding a strong hotel and tourism component to CU's degree options makes sense.

Now I understand that CU is a research university and service industries or vacational type training might appear to be shooting low for the academics. But given the role that technology and environmental concern plays in hotel and resort management, it seems like there may be something here. Aerospace brings them. Tourism gives them a quality lodging experience.

The students making calls to donors could probably learn a thing or two from customer management.

I'd like to see any campus hotel and convention do something bold in this space.

Really want CU to offer a degree in fermentation sciences and open a micro brewery attached to Folsom. Craft beer is a huge part of the state's culture and the flagship university is under represented in that area.

There isn't much I miss about Stillwater and Oklahoma State. But they did get one thing right. Okie Lite runs a hotel on campus and ties the operations of the propery as part of a degree in hotel and hospitality management.

With as big an industry tourism and hospitality is in Colorado, it seems like adding a strong hotel and tourism component to CU's degree options makes sense.

Now I understand that CU is a research university and service industries or vacational type training might appear to be shooting low for the academics. But given the role that technology and environmental concern plays in hotel and resort management, it seems like there may be something here. Aerospace brings them. Tourism gives them a quality lodging experience.

The students making calls to donors could probably learn a thing or two from customer management.

I'd like to see any campus hotel and convention do something bold in this space.
The thing about that field of study that would be very appealing, I'd think, is that it draws a lot of international students. UNLV has had a lot of success with that major and no one is better positioned than them for it, but it would probably work here. We've got Vail Properties and some others located close by. None of them are an MGM, but there is a legitimate foundation.

The thing about that field of study that would be very appealing, I'd think, is that it draws a lot of international students. UNLV has had a lot of success with that major and no one is better positioned than them for it, but it would probably work here. We've got Vail Properties and some others located close by. None of them are an MGM, but there is a legitimate foundation.

Honestly cannot think of a good reason to not offer that field of study other than the real estate needed for a new hotel. Even then, they could just partner with one of the ones going in on the hill and be done with it.

Honestly cannot think of a good reason to not offer that field of study other than the real estate needed for a new hotel. Even then, they could just partner with one of the ones going in on the hill and be done with it.
Also, Millennium's US office is HQ'd at the Boulder hotel. It's not their London office, but it is their US HQ. Sage Hospitality owns a bunch of hotel properties and is based in Denver with 2 of those new Boulder hotels coming from them (and they already own the Homewood Suites in town). Intrawest, which owns several ski resorts including Winter Park, is in Denver. KSL, which owns CA's Alpine Meadows & Squaw Valley is HQ'd in Denver. And, as I mentioned before, Vail Properties is in Broomfield. That's what I could find with a quick search. There seems to be enough critical mass to make this happen. I would think that Millennium and Vail would be the key relationships for a Hospitality School along with the university's own hotel & conference center.

Also, Millennium's US office is HQ'd at the Boulder hotel. It's not their London office, but it is their US HQ. Sage Hospitality owns a bunch of hotel properties and is based in Denver with 2 of those new Boulder hotels coming from them (and they already own the Homewood Suites in town). Intrawest, which owns several ski resorts including Winter Park, is in Denver. KSL, which owns CA's Alpine Meadows & Squaw Valley is HQ'd in Denver. And, as I mentioned before, Vail Properties is in Broomfield. That's what I could find with a quick search. There seems to be enough critical mass to make this happen. I would think that Millennium and Vail would be the key relationships for a Hospitality School along with the university's own hotel & conference center.

Partnership between CU and Vail Resorts would be HUGE.

Really want CU to offer a degree in fermentation sciences and open a micro brewery attached to Folsom. Craft beer is a huge part of the state's culture and the flagship university is under represented in that area.

UC-Denver could expand their Landscape Architecture program to include vertical farming and hydroponics and partner with CU-Boulder B-school for a dispensary management program too.

UC-Denver could expand their Landscape Architecture program to include vertical farming and hydroponics and partner with CU-Boulder for a dispensary management program too.

Probably a little more difficult to convince enough regents to add a new program in agriculture vs adding a new program in chemistry. However the income potential could make it justifiable.

Probably a little more difficult to convince enough regents to add a new program in agriculture vs adding a new program in chemistry. However the income potential could make it justifiable.

vertical farming and urban agriculture is really the integration and synergistic relationship between architecture, landscape architecture, and agriculture...i think it's viable for the CU system to be at the forefront of that.

Doesn't the state have to approve new degree majors at CU? I seem to remember that with how engineering specialties are parsed out to different state university systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are certain areas that are considered within CSU's mission (agriculture & veterinary, for example) and other areas that are considered within CU's mission and this is overseen at the state level.

Doesn't the state have to approve new degree majors at CU? I seem to remember that with how engineering specialties are parsed out to different state university systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there are certain areas that are considered within CSU's mission (agriculture & veterinary, for example) and other areas that are considered within CU's mission and this is overseen at the state level.
That would probably make more sense honestly. Would explain why so few degree programs get added.

vertical farming and urban agriculture is really the integration and synergistic relationship between architecture, landscape architecture, and agriculture...i think it's viable for the CU system to be at the forefront of that.
I think a vertical farming component would be a very good fit in the architecture school.
In the utopian future, wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a 20 story building that is not only energy self sufficient, but also provides for most of the nutritional needs of its occupants? As arable land becomes increasingly scarce, these kinds of solutions will be more widely used. Why not be at the cutting edge of that?

It should be in here. Title 23
Big doc. Not in a position to fully review ATM.

I think a vertical farming component would be a very good fit in the architecture school.
In the utopian future, wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a 20 story building that is not only energy self sufficient, but also provides for most of the nutritional needs of its occupants? As arable land becomes increasingly scarce, these kinds of solutions will be more widely used. Why not be at the cutting edge of that?

when @Buffnik becomes a regent in the next term election, I'm expecting him to get on this right away.

I don't either. And I think the noise level in Folsom is enhanced with the way it is. For safety, though, I think they should look at a different design for the benches, though. There has to be something they could have that would be functional seating and wouldn't be a safety hazard if you crash into it.

Actually, the ones that provide heating & cooling look like they're better for this and would be an allsome Folsom upgrade.
ABABAB.jpg
I like the use of gold in this option:
images

I think CU should offer a vertical fibers major, that would dovetail nicely with the vertical farming.

Back