What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Silver linings

The only silver lining I see isn't from this game, but from other games this weekend. A lot of teams that I thought were pretty good struggled and looked pretty bad: OU-UTEP, UGA-Buffalo, UF-Bowling Green, Iowa-Northern Illinois, Pitt-Youngstown.

One thing to look bad, another thing to lose while doing it. We got our butts handed to us on the field and on the scoreboard. Winning teams figure out how to take care of the scoreboard even when they look bad.

Another gut wrenching loss. Way too many of these types of losses the past decade. I felt we had better players which makes the loss a lot more difficult. Coaching, or the lack of it on the CU side, cost us the game.

Like everyone else, I thought the OL was pathetic. In the first half, they were getting no pressure and Webb was starting to click. They make a halftime adjustment with their simple blitz package and we couldn't find an answer to that. Brookhart had a tough game but the one that pissed me off the most was when CSU did the onside kick that would have worked if they hadn't screwed up. To not even have your kids prepared for that is horrible coaching and game awareness. CSU couldve had 5 different players recover it as all our players were 10 yards downfield already. They had just scored and that could have changed the game right there. Not good.

That being said there were some positives from the newcomers.

Bonsu looked good. Best we've seen since his fresh,an year by far.
Brady Daigh needs to be the field a lot more. All he did was make plays.
Was that actually a Kirk Poston sighting? I thought he played good, much better than Parker.
Gerald Thomas has some wheels. Now find a way to get it into his hands more often and with some creativity.
Spruce and McCullough are ok but not as the top 2 receivers on a PAC 12 football team.
Crowley looked big , fast and is going to be a playmaker for us. Really wish we had more depth so we could redshirt he and Wright.
Moseley looks fast and big. Another exciting player for us, hopefully, in the near future.
CUD looked much bigger and faster. Wish they could move him around and keep the offense wondering where he was coming from.
Webb looked fast and aggressive.
Oneill looked good as did Oliver.

Trying to find anything positive but you've got to blame the coaches for this. Marshall is a real liability right now, both in game planning and recruiting. I think we know why Cal fans were so excited for him to be gone.
EB has got to step it up big time. Of all the coaches, I'm most disappointed with and expect a hell of a lot more soon.

Bad coaching plus freshman mistakes plus no depth equals a loss and really long season. We waited over 200 days for
this? Ugh.

Go Buffs.

silver lining to this weekend? My nine year old is getting the hang of mowing the lawn.....

OK, so we have some young talent on the team. It doesnt matter if their coaches dont know how to produce a winning scheme. They look like HS coaches against a crappy ewe team.

Scheme is a coordinator function. We have two guys in those positions who have no track record and obviously no talent, skill or vision to be successful. Love EB, but he should be demoted.

There are no silver linings in this ****ing loss. Just plain ****ing embarrassing for the fans and the school.

This losing sh it is getting so old.

i agree, but this program is facing a significant set of uphill battles. Online message boards are places where people care about the image their preferred school, current university, or alma mater shows with its athletic teams. Many students and faculty at the University of Colorado would rather that the football program never see success.

This week, I was having lunch in Boulder and overheard a young lady who's also a recent CU grad speaking with her boyfriend. She was talking about the survey she received from Bohn about facility improvements. She kept saying that she did not feel like she should have to pay for anything because the university is "rolling in money" from the football team. We are not running a program that's losing money YET, but where will we be in 5, 10, or 20 years without facility upgrades? The world of big time college football is growing smaller and more competitive. The arms races are getting more expensive to fund.

Interestingly enough, the schools who do the best on the football field are the ones bringing in significant monies for their athletic department and the general university. People are more excited to make donations to a school when they do well athletically. We all know this to be the case. But, the surrounding environment at the University of Colorado is working against the football team. We have to recruit a caliber of player who will have options that are often better than us because he has talent and brains. The stars who've taken a chance on us over the last 6-7 years have done so because of the promise of early playing time.

The name of the game nowadays is to find superstar young talent to combine with the experience of older above average and stud players. Continuity is often what breeds success for many programs. That's why there's always a push for an internal hire after a long-tenured coach departs. But, today we want everything right now. We compete against schools with more money, more aggressive boosters, and a generation of players who see certain schools consistently getting guys to the NFL. That kind of program used to define us at the University of Colorado.

Nowadays, we are getting surveys about improving our stadium when a school district just spent $60mm on a stadium where one high school will play its home games. Today, we clamor for young talent to even consider our school. We are especially jazzed when the kid has AN OFFER from a program above ours. Embree was right that we have to believe in our ability to win. The University of Colorado has to believe in the football team's ability to win. We can whine and complain until the cows come home. What will never change is the prevailing attitudes of those who are actually in charge.

Saying things like "X must go" or "Y should not be allowed to" are all well in good on a sentimental level. Your complaints on this or any other message board do nothing. We are here to commiserate (mostly) and celebrate (hopefully, in the future). That's it. In the end, we have to hope that the people in charge do enough to make our teams better than they were the year before. In the case of this year's CU football team, that can happen with a 4-8 record. As I was told by one of my professors at CU, "if you hope for the best and expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed". I think that's what we'll need to do with our dear old CU football team.

Its a relief CU is so far from the top 25 that the loss isn't being covered by ESPN college football weekend reviews. This game would have sucked worse if CU had actually earned the respect of the pundits before the game.

Its also a relief CSU is off the national radar. When looking at the national TV media, its as if this game never happened.

Back