What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Simpson Earns Elusive Membership In The Thousand Dig Club" (Volleyball, cubuffs.com article)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Article- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210354837

"
BOULDER – When she made the play, seemingly an easy dig in the right front corner, it wasn’t a big deal. It was something she’s done 1,000 times before. Or, more to the point, something she had done 999 times prior to that play.

In the first game of a 3-1 win over Montana State Friday afternoon at the Coors Events Center, the first of two matches played on the day, junior Cierra Simpson’s somewhat standard dig put her in a club that’s been an elusive one to join.
“I’m really excited, honored, of course I couldn’t do it without my blockers helping me out,” Simpson said. “It’s one of those things, I didn’t realize it was coming, but now that I know, I’m going to strive for more.”

If she can accomplish that, she will obliterate the school record, one that has stood for over 20 years. Tina Murray became the first CU player to reach 1,000 digs early in the program’s history and she finished just over the 1,500 mark with 1,523 by the time she graduated in 1990.

In 1991, the player with her name atop a solid majority of the CU record book, Karrie Downey, came to CU and by 1994 she had eclipsed that mark with 1,540 career digs. Those were the days before the libero was part of college volleyball, and many thought when that full time back-row player came into being, those dig records wouldn’t hold.
"

Once again, congrats to Ms. Simpson!

With over 1-2/3rd seasons left in her college career, looks like she should have a VERY good chance of easily becoming the Buff career leader in digs, as she had 519 last year alone, so even with no improvement per set should have another 800+ vballs left to dig as a Buff, which would place her way above the current 1,540 mark quoted above.

Back