What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Skiers Primed For NCAA Title Run (BUFFS WIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!)

Still no official point update I can see, and I'm heading out for awhile. Unofficially, for the 6 top ranked teams coming into the championships, I've got the scoring at-

Utes 241 points
Buffs 237
DU 232
New Mexico 204
Vermont 192
Dartmouth 159

If that's even close to accurate, as close as it for the top 3 are (and even 4th and 5th are still in it), it's pretty much a dead heat going into the last 2 days of the championships.

Last edited:
Still no official point update I can see, and I'm heading out for awhile. Unofficially, for the 6 top ranked teams coming into the championships, I've got the scoring at-

Utes 241 points
Buffs 237
DU 232
New Mexico 204
Vermont 192
Dartmouth 159

If that's even close to accurate, as close as it for the top 3 are (and even 4th and 5th are still in it), it's pretty much a dead heat going into the last 2 days of the championships.

Official point totals are now published (http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results15/EISA/ncaa2015tm.pdf), and the above totals are confirmed as accurate.

Those top 6 ranked teams I listed above are also the top 6 so far in the championships, although Montana State at 149 points isn't that far from Dartmouth.

Last edited:
The problem is that Skiing is not a sport that The PAC-12 supports. The Buffs and Utah are in the RMISA. Stanford has a fencing team (NCAA approved sport) and probably cup-stacking, too, but you wouldn't expect the PAC-12 Network to cover their matches.

thats not the problem at all. At least according to the PAC 12 Net. The problem is the cost of producing the coverage from the side of a mountain.

The women's longer (15K Classic) Nordic race started a bit ago. They've recently completed the 1st lap of 3.

Direct link to video stream- http://www.ncaa.com/championship/liveplayer/player?gameId=623345&date=2015/03/13

Per live timing (http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results15/ncaa2015-7.htm), with a LONG way to go, Buffs looking pretty good, with 1st 2 Buffs (Bibs 15 (SOLBAKKEN) and 12 (HYNCICOVA)) in 7th and 8th and only 7-8 seconds behind the lead, while the 3rd (Bib 18 (JOHNSEN)) is in 14th, ~28-29 seconds back. Utes have the leader, 4th and 23rd, Pioneers 3rd, 30th and 39th.

Last edited:
Lap 2 of 3 timing now coming in- Buffs still looking good- bibs 15 and 12 are in 5th and 6th. The 3rd Buff is in 8th. If they can come close to keeping those positions, that would be a GREAT result for the young women's Nordic team.

Overall, looks like the top 2 overall, (including a Ute and Lobo) have broken away and have a 28 or so second lead over the 2 Buffs.

And the skiers finish! The Lobo passes the Ute in the last 100 meters or so for a great finish for the win.

Buffs end up in 4th, 6th, and 9th. What a GREAT job by the 2 freshmen and 1 sophomore!

So, looking like that was a good race for both the Utes and Buffs. As expected, the Utes probably increased their point lead, but not as much as in races earlier in the year. Per http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results15/ncaa2015tm.htm , The Utes earned 87 points vs. the Buffs 80 points in this event. As reference, in the recent RMISA conference championships (which of course didn't even include any eastern school skiers), the Buffs were outscored 72 to 91 by the Utes in the Classic race, so this race's 7 point gap was a good improvement from the conference race's 19 point difference. Overall, the Utes lead is now 11 over the Buffs and 62 over the Pioneers heading into the race featuring the Buff's strongest team, Men's Nordic. (Note- re DU, women's Nordic seems to be their weakest points area, and they only earned 34 points today, so as noted above fell back some. However, their Men's Nordic team is OK, and they have the top ranked men's and women's slalom teams in the country by quite a bit, so they are definitely not out of it.)

Individually, with their Top 10 finishes, all 3 women Nordic Buffs earn their 2nd All-American honors from these championships, with Maja Solbakken earning 1st Team for her 4th place finish, and Ms's. Hyncicova and Johnsen earning 2nd team. Special props to the Buff's 9th place finisher Ane Johnsen. I believe a cubuffs.com article from a couple days ago mentioned these championships were her 1st races back since January, as she'd been fighting some illness. What a comeback!

Hopefully this women's performance will inspire the Buff's Men, whose race is starting at ~10:00 AM MT. (Hopefully also means the Buffs technical staff has nailed the wax choice for the conditions at Lake Placid!) If the men perform as good as they can, the Buffs should get back the overall points lead (albeit a relatively small one) heading into tomorrow's final slalom races. (As reference, at the recent RMISA conference meet, the Buffs scored 97 points in this Men's Classic event vs. Utah at 70 and DU at 69. Of course, today's race includes eastern skiers, so I'd assume all the point totals from the conference race to go down some for all teams.)

Last edited:
More than Half way through the race, and the top 2 Buffs are in the lead pack. Early yet to be a big deal, but a little worrisome that the 3rd Buff is currently in a non-scoring (35th) place position.

They're now into the last 5K lap. Top 2 Buffs still in the lead pack, which is now around 12 skiers.

They just showed a video from the course, with I assume ~3K left, the 2 Buffs still in the lead group, which is now down to 4 skiers!

Near the finish now. They just showed a picture above the treeline, and it looks like a beautiful picture postcard winter day- it's started to snow heavily.

Buffs look to get 2nd and 3rd! (The 2nd Buff slipped and crashed into another skier with ~30 yards left, but got up 1st and with the big gap the top 4 skiers had still got the 3rd place finish. Don't know if they have any rules about crashes effecting finishes?)

Just eyeballing the finishes and, if my suspect math skills are correct, looks like the Buffs, with 71 points from the 2-3 finish (assuming the 3rd place holds with the late crash), should take the overall points lead back by a FEW points over the Utes IF the unofficial results end up being official.

Looks like Northern Michigan, with a 1-7-11 finish, won the points race for this event, but they are quite a ways back in points overall, so aren't a threat for the overall championship.

I'm calculating Utah, with a 5-16-22 finish, earned around 53 points, so will only be ~7 points back from the Buffs, or effectively tied.

The Buffs did gain some more cushion on defending champ DU, who I'm estimating only earned 24 points with 8th and 30th place scoring finishers. I''m calculating the Buffs will have a helpful but not totally safe 98 point lead over the Pioneers gong into their strength- Alpine skiing. (To illustrate why DU can't be written off yet, their men and women outscored the Buffs by a combined 67 points in the Giant Slalom yesterday, and that was with 2 (the RMISA's 2nd ranked male and 9th ranked female) of DU's 6 skiers not finishing a run and so not earning any points.)

Edit- Should add that New Mexico had a good race as well and unofficially earned 66 points with a 4-13-14 finish, and they've passed DU into 3rd place in the overall points race, and are only 61 points behind the Buffs. Based on RMISA standings (http://www.rmisaskiing.com/team.php) and how they did in the conference championships (http://www.rmisaskiing.com/meet.php?m=220) they aren't as strong in Alpine as the Buffs, Utes or DU, but given the uncertainties of Alpine skiing, they can't be written off either.

Last edited:
Nice they're actually showing the awards ceremony on the video stream for today's races. Always beautiful and inspiring to see the CU flag being carried by the Buff athletes with the snow all around as they stand on the podium!

Well, they just did presented the men's podium, and the Buff's 2-3 finish seems safe. Congrats to sophomore Mads Stroem for the 2nd place finish, and Rune Oedegaard for 3rd!

And, extra thanks to Mr. Oedegaard (1 of only 2 seniors on this years 12 member Buff ski team that's at NCAA's) for all his great work as a Buff, with 19 wins over his collegiate career (2nd highest Buff total all-time behind only Maria Grevsgaard's 24), including 2 NCAA individual championships. (More info on Mr. Oedegaard's Buff career is available in a cubuffs.com article from a few days ago- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209951127 .)

Last edited:
Well, official (???) points now posted through day 3 of 4 at http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results15/EISA/ncaa2015tm.pdf . As I estimated in an earlier post, going to be an exciting (and WAY TOO CLOSE to call) final day tomorrow-

1. UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO CU 388.0
2. UNIVERSITY OF UTAH UU 381.0
3. UNIV OF NEW MEXICO UNM 327.0
4. UNIVERSITY OF DENVER DU 290.0
5. UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT UVM 272.0
6. DARTMOUTH COLLEGE DAR 224.0

Last edited:
Well, they just did presented the men's podium, and the Buff's 2-3 finish seems safe. Congrats to sophomore Mads Stroem for the 2nd place finish, and Rune Oedegaard for 3rd!

And, extra thanks to Mr. Oedegaard (1 of only 2 seniors on this years 12 member Buff ski team that's at NCAA's) for all his great work as a Buff, with 19 wins over his collegiate career (2nd highest Buff total all-time behind only Maria Grevsgaard's 24), including 2 NCAA individual championships. (More info on Mr. Oedegaard's Buff career is available in a cubuffs.com article from a few days ago- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209951127 .)

Oedegaard's the man!

Rep Aztec, his work this week has been top notch

Hope the Buffs come out tomorrow ready to rock

The last day of the championships has already begun (they must have moved the start time up some from the 7:00 AM MT listed in their schedule), and the men's slalom is done with its 1st run.

Buffs in 11th, 15th and 17th after the 1st of 2 runs; Utes (CORRECTED) 9th, 20th and 28th; DU 1st, 4th and 7th. In other words, everything is still in place for this event to not really change the expectations it will all come down to the women's slalom, with each position and their associated points CRITICAL. Of course, in Alpine skiing and the small margins of errors, EVERYTHING could change after the men's 2nd runs. If those results approximately hold after the 2nd run, the Pioneers would be ROARING back into these championships, with more than half of their relatively large 98 point deficit heading into the day eaten away, and the Buffs and Utes would still be Oh so close with the women's slalom pending. (Totally meaningless hypothetical points value for those 1st runs are DU 96 pts, CU 50 and Utah 36.) CORRECTION- Utes finishes would only be worth 36 points, NOT the number I gave originally.

Direct link to live stream of 1st runs (will still be useful for upcoming women's slalom 1st runs)- http://www.ncaa.com/championship/liveplayer/player?gameId=623347&date=2015/03/14

Link to 2nd runs for both men and women's video streams (scheduled to start 9:00 AM MT, CORRECTION- it's now showing 9:30 MT start) will be available at - http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2015/03/14

Direct link to Men's slalom live timing- http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=150781
Direct link to Women's slalom live timing- http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=150780

Last edited:
And the Women slalom's 1st of 2 runs has just begun with a good DU skier with Bib #1. Buff's are Bib (starting position) #'s 9, 12 and 14.

And all the Buff women have made it down safely, but are a ways back already, in 8th, 10th and 13 place out of the 15 racers who've finished their 1st runs (33 skiers in total in the Alpine competitions). (Assume CU coaches told both the men and women to be conservative in the 1st runs, and then adjust 2nd run aggressiveness based on their position in relation to their main rivals' skiers.)

Last edited:
Well, 1st of the 2 women's slalom runs are now done, and still nothing really determined. Buffs in 8th, 10th and 17th, Utes in 13th, 18th and 20th, and Pioneers in 2nd, 4th and 22nd. In the TOTALLY MEANINGLESS hypothetical points calculation, IF those results held for the 2nd runs, DU would earn 77 points, CU 57 points and Utah 42 points. Overall, in addition to the equally meaningless hypothetical men's points I mentioned in one of the above posts, that would give the Buffs the championship win, while the Pioneers would actually have come from way back to pass the Utes for 2nd. (AGAIN, WAY too early and too close to mean anything.)

Pretty impressive DU has put themselves into position to have a chance to win this thing, being down as much as they were going into the day. And, of course, the Utes are still right there also.

Edit- Since I mentioned them yesterday, wanted to follow up that New Mexico, in the totally worthless and hypothetical 1st run points exercise, would only have 21 in men's and 50 in women's slalom points after the 1st runs, so will need to perform great and get help from other teams in their 2nd runs to have any hope for a top 3 team finish.

Last edited:
Back