What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SLING

Buffs1990

Cancelled dish last week....Got Sling with Roku...paid $5 for sports package.....bill is $25 dollar a month....ESPN, ESPNU, ESPNRecruiting, ESPN2, ESPN Campus, PAC12 Arizona, PAC12 Bay Area, PAC12 Mountain, PAC12washington, PAC12LA, Big 10 (all of them) SEC (All of them), FOX, NBA, HOCKEY, NFL Network, etc.....works like a dream....make sure you have a strong WIFI

Cancelled dish last week....Got Sling with Roku...paid $5 for sports package.....bill is $25 dollar a month....ESPN, ESPNU, ESPNRecruiting, ESPN2, ESPN Campus, PAC12 Arizona, PAC12 Bay Area, PAC12 Mountain, PAC12washington, PAC12LA, Big 10 (all of them) SEC (All of them), FOX, NBA, HOCKEY, NFL Network, etc.....works like a dream....make sure you have a strong WIFI
I'm on Sling Blue since we sometimes multi-stream, but that doesn't have the ESPN channels. I will upgrade to add Sling Orange and the Sports Extra pack for Sep-Dec.

Oh yes...Sling Orange...forgot that......I also use my parents Dish Username and password to piggy back ABC NBC and CBS for when the National TV Games are televised.

Interesting. I think I had some promotional offer for Sling but I didn't give it much thought as I didn't think they had much capability. To get all those sports channels for that low cost is quite impressive...

I concur....I was doubtful on what I could get....there are College Team specific channels as well (No CU), but USF, OU, Ohio St, etc...amongst cricket, fishing, blah blah...so far pretty impressed....super easy to set up....we have Amazon Prime as well...so we are pretty much covered.....4, 7, and 9 though I'm pretty sure you cant get

Enjoyed Sling TV last year and would have done again if I didn't sign a new lease with Comcast that included the Pac-12 Network, FS1, and ESPN family of channels for no additional cost to my internet only bill.

Pac-12 will have another streaming partner for this upcoming season. Maybe DirecTV Now?

Hard to stream without great wifi in my experience. Got this for traveling and it was great and cheap- until watching the game super choppy, having it pause,popping on to twitter to see what I missed etc

They have all sorts of free trials and concept is great- not great with hotel wifi though

Enjoyed Sling TV last year and would have done again if I didn't sign a new lease with Comcast that included the Pac-12 Network, FS1, and ESPN family of channels for no additional cost to my internet only bill.

Pac-12 will have another streaming partner for this upcoming season. Maybe DirecTV Now?
Please elaborate. You're only paying for internet and you have the television package?

Please elaborate. You're only paying for internet and you have the television package?
When I cancelled cable TV with Comcast and went internet only, they actually charged me $5 less to maintain a non-HD basic cable package when I went in and returned my equipment.

It is conceivable I could bump that package up with HD and sports channels for $25/month as a trade off for dropping Sling TV. It is an interesting concept - especially now that Comcast is beta testing the Roku app that I can download and use as opposed to renting their equipment (at least for now - they might charge per endpoint for it when it comes out of Beta - which is nuts).

Looking at Sling Orange and it seems that they have all the regular channels I'd want for $25/mo, add the Sports package to get P12 and NFLN and RZ for $10/mo, then have to add the News for $5 and the Lifestyle package for $5 (for the fiancé), plus HBO and Showtime for $15 and $10 respectively, to maintain the standard of viewing I currently have with Dish. That's a total of $70/mo for just about everything compared to the ~$105/mo I currently pay for Dish. However, we like ordering OnDemand movies which Sling doesn't really offer and then there's the unreliability of streaming. I'd have to increase my wifi internet service to the next tier to ensure its a strong and fast connection, so that'd probably cost me another $15-$20/mo.

Tl/dr - At the end of the day, Sling might save me $15-$20/mo but comes with limitations that I don't really have right now. I guess it comes down to whether or not those limitations are worth saving ~$200/year.

Looking at Sling Orange and it seems that they have all the regular channels I'd want for $25/mo, add the Sports package to get P12 and NFLN and RZ for $10/mo, then have to add the News for $5 and the Lifestyle package for $5 (for the fiancé), plus HBO and Showtime for $15 and $10 respectively, to maintain the standard of viewing I currently have with Dish. That's a total of $70/mo for just about everything compared to the ~$105/mo I currently pay for Dish. However, we like ordering OnDemand movies which Sling doesn't really offer and then there's the unreliability of streaming. I'd have to increase my wifi internet service to the next tier to ensure its a strong and fast connection, so that'd probably cost me another $15-$20/mo.

Tl/dr - At the end of the day, Sling might save me $15-$20/mo but comes with limitations that I don't really have right now. I guess it comes down to whether or not those limitations are worth saving ~$200/year.
OnDemand movies shouldn't factor into your equation at all. There are many services to rent or buy movies on streaming boxes and game consoles. iTunes Movies, VUDU, Amazon, PlayStation Store, Xbox store and many more.

Sling was a little flaky for me when I first subscribed, but it was rock solid for the last football and basketball seasons. I rarely use it for anything other than football and basketball since I prefer to watch programming without commercials on Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and Amazon Prime even if it means I have to wait a year for the latest seasons of some shows.

OnDemand movies shouldn't factor into your equation at all. There are many services to rent or buy movies on streaming boxes and game consoles. iTunes Movies, VUDU, Amazon, PlayStation Store, Xbox store and many more.

Sling was a little flaky for me when I first subscribed, but it was rock solid for the last football and basketball seasons. I rarely use it for anything other than football and basketball since I prefer to watch programming without commercials on Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and Amazon Prime even if it means I have to wait a year for the latest seasons of some shows.
Yeah it's not a huge consideration, but the other one that is (for 6 months out of the year) is the Rockies network (now AT&T sports). I could probably get used to not watching them, that's a channel that I don't believe can be had through Sling.

I've complained about Sling a few times on here. I figured out what the issue was as my chromecast was having the same problems with HBO go. Never turned my non-Comcast netgear router/modem into a modem only (bridge mode) so it was causing issues for some reason.

Whatever. Moral of the story, sling is great! I'll add it here in September for the CU games.

Back