What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So Who's Better Than Les Miles & Why ?

I'm trying to compare Carroll's 1st NFL HC failure to VJ's current failure and speculate the possibility of VJ having the same success at CU that Carroll had at SC.
Note: this is to stimulate conversation, not saying I support VJ for our next HC.

I'm trying to compare Carroll's 1st NFL HC failure to VJ's current failure and speculate the possibility of VJ having the same success at CU that Carroll had at SC.
Note: this is to stimulate conversation, not saying I support VJ for our next HC.
If for comparison, maybe pick a current NFL head coach with a winning record. Carroll was 33-31 with 2 playoff appearances in 4 years as a HC when USC hired him.

If for comparison, maybe pick a current NFL head coach with a winning record. Carroll was 33-31 with 2 playoff appearances in 4 years as a HC when USC hired him.
Ok, good point. I've always operated under the well circulated opinion that Carroll was a "failure" with the Jets/Patriots.
And regardless of record, you can't deny that was the prevailing opinion around the league and the SC hiring was a "WTF moment" at the time.

I suppose it’s possible that VJ becomes an elite college coach like Carroll, but he could just as easily become Lovie Smith.

Rex would be a really interesting college coach.

Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards came to my mind as energetic middling NFL coaches who got hired for college jobs.

I'm big on past NFL coaches if you can swing one. That kind of status alone opens up big doors of opportunity.

I'll say it again. Mike Shanahan. Basically same age as Carroll and Miles. Tanned, rested, and ready.

A whole bunch of people because Led had all world talent every year at LSU and couldn't field a competent offense. Plus, he's not going to recruit at that level at CU. CU actually has standards when it comes to education. LSU, like Bama, admits anyone with a pulse and makes sure they stay eligible via tutors.

A whole bunch of people because Led had all world talent every year at LSU and couldn't field a competent offense. Plus, he's not going to recruit at that level at CU. CU actually has standards when it comes to education. LSU, like Bama, admits anyone with a pulse and makes sure they stay eligible via tutors.

But does he need to recruit at that level at CU? LSU was a legit threat to land the #1 recruiting class year-in and year-out. That is not realistic for CU. But a guy who prioritizes recruiting (as Les probably would) should be able to land Top 25-30 classes on a regular basis. That's what you expect Miles or any other coach to do. Moot point now.

But does he need to recruit at that level at CU? LSU was a legit threat to land the #1 recruiting class year-in and year-out. That is not realistic for CU. But a guy who prioritizes recruiting (as Les probably would) should be able to land Top 25-30 classes on a regular basis. That's what you expect Miles or any other coach to do. Moot point now.
Les has shown an ability to underperform his recruiting in a big way. You want that with 25-30 recruiting classes?

He's a dud.

I'll say it again. Mike Shanahan. Basically same age as Carroll and Miles. Tanned, rested, and ready.
I love Mike Shanahan... but excuse while I dry heave.
I think Shanny would be a great college coach.

He is a workaholic, no question about his willingness to put in the effort. He would be good with the boosters and a very credible name.

More importantly he is a guy who is used to and wants to be in charge of the entire program, in the pros that overextended him, in college that is an asset.

I think he would be an excellent closer as a recruiter and he wouldn't settle for lower quality classes. He would recruit then he would coach them up.

His biggest drawbacks would be his lack of specific knowledge of the college game and his lack of connections to build a great college staff, his focus (intense focus) for decades has been the pro game.

He isn't a legitimate candidate, no indication he has any interest in being a college coach but I guarantee that if he were we wouldn't have another OSU debacle.

To answer the OP: Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Phil Fullmer. But of course, none of them are coming and most likely not going to coach again.

Greg Schiano or Jim Mora probably fits the "NFL redemption" type description better than Vance Joseph since VJ was never a HC until he got the Broncos gig and was only a coordinator for 1 year.

ITB's tour de fear 2018 continues. Widespread Panic is a band, not a way of life.
giphy.gif

Anybody else have the creeping feeling we're going to f*** this up? I'm a fairly positive dude, but something about the early rumor, RG's silence, certain player quotes, and Mac's jackhole presser yesterday has me very uneasy.

Josh Heupel! He is young and did wonders with the Missouri QB's and there has been absolutely no drop off at UCF from Frost to Heupel. He was Asst OC at Oklahoma, Asst HC/OC at Utah State, OC/QB coach at Missouri and as HC is making UCF look better than they were last year under Frost. With the talent on Offense at CU, this hire would ignite the offense.

Josh Heupel! He is young and did wonders with the Missouri QB's and there has been absolutely no drop off at UCF from Frost to Heupel. He was Asst OC at Oklahoma, Asst HC/OC at Utah State, OC/QB coach at Missouri and as HC is making UCF look better than they were last year under Frost. With the talent on Offense at CU, this hire would ignite the offense.
He’s following a team that went undefeated last year - I want to see more than one season out of him as a HC before we give him too much credit there.

Back