What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Solder

You think that was the implication?

That is why the talent didn't match the measurables or film on Mandarich. It's the first thing I thought of on why it doesn't make sense to compare Solder to him.

That is why the talent didn't match the measurables or film on Mandarich. It's the first thing I thought of on why it doesn't make sense to compare Solder to him.

It wasnt only steroids that were responsible for his lack of success, but he was just a high profile example of somebody with size and athleticism that was expected to dominate at the next level. He was also much more dominant that Solder, so it was a poor example. A better example would be Bruce Campbell from Maryland, but I dont know who would recognize the name. There is more to being an NFL LT than long arms and quick feet. I'll be curious to see if our OL coaching was that bad.

Worked with Tony Manderich. You must know what you are talking about.

I'm a powerlifter and have been around many rampant steroid users (google shawn frankl if you are curious) Solder (prob) doesn't use.
Watching the video in the first page, adds to my feelings of Hansen being a average qb. His instincts are suspect.
Solder's sacks:
The first sack, Travon was wide open across the middle. The second sack was easily avoidable- Hansen should have stepped up. Third sack, Hansen should have rolled left.

Not Solder's: the fourth... is just a face palm.

Last edited:
I'm a powerlifter and have been around many rampant steroid users (google shawn frankl if you are curious) Solder (prob) doesn't use.
Watching the video in the first page, adds to my feelings of Hansen being a average qb. His instincts are suspect.
Solder's sacks:
The first sack, Travon was wide open across the middle. The second sack was easily avoidable- Hansen should have stepped up. Third sack, Hansen should have rolled left.

Not Solder's: the fourth... is just a face palm.

When I watched the video I thought a lot if it was on Hansen as well. Yes, he got burned a few times, but sometimes he was so fast he got pushed out of the box. Hansen doesn't seem to step up into the pocket. The thing that bothered me though is that Solder didn't make any adjustments, even though the DE did. You can fix that. Can't fix your QB's awareness.

I was watching the UO game against OSU last week. It didn't matter if they were pass blocking or run blocking they pushed forward, just never past 3 yards if they were passing. It really muddled what the O was doing. Our guys take 3 steps back every time. We lack any aggression on the OL. Solder could have managed his guy better had he pressed instead of backpeddling so much. That's a coaching issue.

I was watching the UO game against OSU last week. It didn't matter if they were pass blocking or run blocking they pushed forward, just never past 3 yards if they were passing. It really muddled what the O was doing. Our guys take 3 steps back every time. We lack any aggression on the OL. Solder could have managed his guy better had he pressed instead of backpeddling so much. That's a coaching issue.

That constant backpedaling they were taught was really frustrating to watch.

When I watched the video I thought a lot if it was on Hansen as well. Yes, he got burned a few times, but sometimes he was so fast he got pushed out of the box. Hansen doesn't seem to step up into the pocket. The thing that bothered me though is that Solder didn't make any adjustments, even though the DE did. You can fix that. Can't fix your QB's awareness.

Rep. Exactly. While Solder didn't play great, a more aware qb would have been able to make something happen those plays. I don't know if Hansen's shakiness is from a general lack of knowledge about defenses, lack of instinct, or coaching; whatever it is I hope it gets fixed.

Rep. Exactly. While Solder didn't play great, a more aware qb would have been able to make something happen those plays. I don't know if Hansen's shakiness is from a general lack of knowledge about defenses, lack of instinct, or coaching; whatever it is I hope it gets fixed.

I think it's a combination of 2 things. 1)I don't think he is an outstanding qb. and 2)I think it was obvious that he thought he had a very short leash and was playing tentatively trying not to piss of the coach and get pulled.

He also bends from the back instead of the legs, and instead of sliding sometimes he runs with a blocker. Its easy to blame on coaching, and I know Solder is a smart guy so you assume he is coachable. But ,hopefully we will see improvement next year from Miller and the boys, and be able to blame it all D Johnson.

He also bends from the back instead of the legs, and instead of sliding sometimes he runs with a blocker. Its easy to blame on coaching, and I know Solder is a smart guy so you assume he is coachable. But ,hopefully we will see improvement next year from Miller and the boys, and be able to blame it all D Johnson.

Old habits die hard though. It'll be a few years until we get our younger OL on the line to see the real improvement. I only expect modest gains this year.

Mike Mayock from NFL network just said he has Solder (although he pronounced it Soder) is his #1 SR OT in the draft.

In the end fatbuff may be right, there is no such thing as a sure thing in the NFL draft when you are talking about linemen (or virtually any other position.) Plenty of guys have come in looking to have all the ingredients to be at worst solid, longtime pros only to dissapoint and Solder may be one of those.

At the same time even with his mistakes he plays reasonably well and has had some very good games against other guys who are highly thought of as pro prospects. The big thing to realize is that he has only been playing left tackle for a very short time compared to a lot of other guys and is already as effective as they are. I don't see any college tackles this year who are absolutely dominant every game, all have had some off days.

The big thing Solder has in his favor is his potential for improvement, the famous "upside." In this department he stands above the other guys out there.

The saying "Potential means you haven't done it yet." can certainly be applied as it can to most players. Nobody pays me for my opinion and I'm not going to lose my job if I'm wrong but objectively if I had the pick and needed a left tackle I wouldn't hesitate to take Solder. I think the chances of him being a star are much higher than of him being a bust.

IMO, Solder has all the potential in the world. He hasn't played up to it yet, but an NFL team will see it and take him early. He will either be a franchise LT for a decade if he can realize his potential, or a guy that washes out in a couple of years. Hopefully it's the former.

Why do CU fans think Solder's play was so mediocre? I have never understood this.

I don't understand it either. Unanimous All Big XII selection. considered the top OT to go in the draft. Graded out top notch. What more do you want?......Out Land Trophy Winner??? R. He was an OutLand Trophy finalist on a mediocore CU team. Miller is going to be the same way. I expect Bahktiari to blossom as well.

Apparently he also garnered a Heisman vote from some reporter in either Cali or Florida who in protest of the inevitable Cam Newton win, decided to vote his as a "Boy Scout" ballot: #1-guy who won Academic Heisman, #2-Solder, #3-Sam Acho.

Heard it on a radio show, so no link.

I think people think he is overrated because the line was not very good most of the time so I think that he would have to take on more than one assignment. That's just my guess but all the people who say he's terrible what do you want? him to win the Heisman?

Kind of like a reciever who is terrible because he doesn't catch the passes that skip 10 yards away from him because he doesn't have a quality QB. All solder can do is his job which he does very well. He isn't perfect but I haven't seen a lot of others who are. He also can't help what his teamates and coaches do around him.

Nate had 246 pancake blocks this year, ****tards. 246! Teams double teamed him because he was so good. Triple teamed at times. He did not get a single penalty called against him all year. The CU maintenance department had to replace 4 door headers because he busted them with his head while walking through the door. The CU planetarium was shocked, one day, to see a solar eclipse, only to realize that Nate was walking across campus, thus blocking out the sun. Nate knocked down 37 passes with the back of his head! What a bunch of asswhipes.

Nate had 246 pancake blocks this year, ****tards. 246! Teams double teamed him because he was so good. Triple teamed at times. He did not get a single penalty called against him all year. The CU maintenance department had to replace 4 door headers because he busted them with his head while walking through the door. The CU planetarium was shocked, one day, to see a solar eclipse, only to realize that Nate was walking across campus, thus blocking out the sun. Nate knocked down 37 passes with the back of his head! What a bunch of asswhipes.

Ummmmm, why would you double and triple team an offensive lineman???

:lol:

Apparently he also garnered a Heisman vote from some reporter in either Cali or Florida who in protest of the inevitable Cam Newton win, decided to vote his as a "Boy Scout" ballot: #1-guy who won Academic Heisman, #2-Solder, #3-Sam Acho.

Heard it on a radio show, so no link.

One of the items in the newsroom had this about the heisman voting, "Colorado left tackle Nate Solder was on two ballots."

Pretty interesting year for the stiff-arm trophy.

Back