What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sparaco gone

I never really understand the helicopter thing. My older kids probably suffered in club sports due to my unwillingness to be that dad, actually, but I digress.

My thought is, if you're a helicopter dad and you've convinced your kid to leave the P5 school he's at for greener pastures, so to speak, why do you let him go to an FCS school? What's the end game?

You have to think that a couple of years of playing at a P5 school is better for the potential pro prospects than being a guaranteed starter for 3 years at a Big Sky school. Plus, if it's a position change situation, chances are that if your coaches in the Pac-12 think your speed and body type translate more to an inside game than an outside one, you're probably not going to hear differently from pro scouts.

I never really understand the helicopter thing. My older kids probably suffered in club sports due to my unwillingness to be that dad, actually, but I digress.

My thought is, if you're a helicopter dad and you've convinced your kid to leave the P5 school he's at for greener pastures, so to speak, why do you let him go to an FCS school? What's the end game?

You have to think that a couple of years of playing at a P5 school is better for the potential pro prospects than being a guaranteed starter for 3 years at a Big Sky school. Plus, if it's a position change situation, chances are that if your coaches in the Pac-12 think your speed and body type translate more to an inside game than an outside one, you're probably not going to hear differently from pro scouts.
Helicopter dads fly themselves. Fact.

I wish him luck, but there is always a problem when a kid always moves on to greener pastures. It never works out.

With his history of moving around, I could see him at Montana State so he could play, and not have to sit out a red shirt year like he would have to at a D1 school. Then he jumps to a D1 school for his junior year. If that school doesn’t workout he could redshirt at another D1 school.

With his history of moving around, I could see him at Montana State so he could play, and not have to sit out a red shirt year like he would have to at a D1 school. Then he jumps to a D1 school for his junior year. If that school doesn’t workout he could redshirt at another D1 school.

If he moves back up to the BCS level he will have to sit a year automatically. Can't go from FCS to BCS and play immediately.

What are the chances of him finishing the rest of his playing time at Montana State?

I'd guess better than 50/50.

At Montana State he should be one of the most talented players on the team, be a full time starter and get the opportunity to make a lot of plays.

If he were to leave there for anything other than dropping down to D2 he would have to sit for a year. Unless he is an absolute stud at the FCS level I don't think he would have BCS schools lining up for him.

Considering the advice he has apparently been getting so far a more likely more would be for them to (realistically or not) try an early entry into the NFL draft.than going to another school.

Hey guys, MSU fan here - always like to read message board input about transfers into our program. There are typically two types of transfers, reasons for transferring aside - guys who think they can drop down and dominate, and guys who just love football and want to play as much as they can while they still can. The first kind usually fizzle out pretty quickly, and transfer out within a year, usually to D2, or just quit football. I'm always curious to see if I can't discern which kind they are before they set foot on campus.

Why don't you think he will finish his career here?

It will be an interesting battle at buck end, which is where most think he will end up at. He will have to beat out Bryce Sterk, at UW junior transfer, 6'5 265, who is ran as the #1 all spring, and Jacob Hadley, a 6'5 225 sophomore from Billings. Senior Grant Collins started all last year, but underwhelmed in the pass rush department (hence the Sterk transfer), and may be shelved for a portion of the year with an injury. Collins is 6'4 245.

Long story short, a starting spot isn't guaranteed if he lands at buck. MSU has had two defensive player of the year in all of FCS at buck end in the last 8 years, and before that sent Dane Fletcher to the NFL from the spot. We haven't had elite player there in about 4 years though, so we are trying to return to those ways.

Hey guys, MSU fan here - always like to read message board input about transfers into our program. There are typically two types of transfers, reasons for transferring aside - guys who think they can drop down and dominate, and guys who just love football and want to play as much as they can while they still can. The first kind usually fizzle out pretty quickly, and transfer out within a year, usually to D2, or just quit football. I'm always curious to see if I can't discern which kind they are before they set foot on campus.

It will be an interesting battle at buck end, which is where most think he will end up at. He will have to beat out Bryce Sterk, at UW junior transfer, 6'5 265, who is ran as the #1 all spring, and Jacob Hadley, a 6'5 225 sophomore from Billings. Senior Grant Collins started all last year, but underwhelmed in the pass rush department (hence the Sterk transfer), and may be shelved for a portion of the year with an injury. Collins is 6'4 245.

Long story short, a starting spot isn't guaranteed if he lands at buck. MSU has had two defensive player of the year in all of FCS at buck end in the last 8 years, and before that sent Dane Fletcher to the NFL from the spot. We haven't had elite player there in about 4 years though, so we are trying to return to those ways.
Sparaco showed some flashes, I am convinced he is a very good player. I have no inside info, but the rumors are he was not too enthused with the new DC who took over last year. Also, he had his RS burned in the first game, but then played very little. Who knows? The moving around comments come from the fact he moved around a lot in HS. IMO, you got a very good defender added to your squad. Good luck.

We question whether he will stay based on his history. He played at three (four?) high schools. He was a Colorado kid who played his junior season at Cherry Creek, which is the largest public high school in Colorado (4,000+ enrollment) and decided he wasn’t getting enough exposure or proper training so he transferred to IMG in Florida for his senior year. He’s a solid player and he makes plays, so I think he will do well up there. The issue appears to be with his father, who by most accounts is the walking definition of helicopter dad.

Good player, though. He would have contributed at CU this year.

Well we brought in Tyler Bruggman, a 4 star high school QB who started his career at Wazzou as a heralded Leach recruit, transferred to Louisville, not even sure he made it through spring ball, transferred to a CC and put up mediocre numbers, transferred to MSU, got beat out by a 17 year old true freshman as the season progressed and who, I'll be honest, is a terrible passer but a serious running threat. Then graduated from MSU, and for his 5th and final year walked on on Texas A&M. Probably the strangest path you'll ever see a college football player take - FBS -> FBS -> CC -> FCS -> FBS - pretty much a dud, good kid though. Got his degree, just didn't have the mental strength required to be a QB.

So hopefully this kid doesn't follow the same mold, and hopefully if he can't beat out Sterk and doesn't get a ton of player time this year, he doesn't leave.

At least his dad is an MSU grad and former player himself, which would help in this situation.

Thanks for the input!

Well we brought in Tyler Bruggman, a 4 star high school QB who started his career at Wazzou as a heralded Leach recruit, transferred to Louisville, not even sure he made it through spring ball, transferred to a CC and put up mediocre numbers, transferred to MSU, got beat out by a 17 year old true freshman as the season progressed and who, I'll be honest, is a terrible passer but a serious running threat. Then graduated from MSU, and for his 5th and final year walked on on Texas A&M. Probably the strangest path you'll ever see a college football player take - FBS -> FBS -> CC -> FCS -> FBS - pretty much a dud, good kid though. Got his degree, just didn't have the mental strength required to be a QB.

So hopefully this kid doesn't follow the same mold, and hopefully if he can't beat out Sterk and doesn't get a ton of player time this year, he doesn't leave.

At least his dad is an MSU grad and former player himself, which would help in this situation.

Thanks for the input!
Are you guys playing a 3-4 or a 4-3 defensive front? Sparaco's a good guy and a good player. I think he'd be a monster as a 4-3 DE immediately. But what probably hurt his prospects for the number of snaps he could play at CU this year was that he wasn't going to play much OLB unless it was pretty much with his hand on the ground in a short yardage or pass rush situation. And he'd need to put on quite a bit of weight still to hold up as a 3-4 DE/DT, where I think he'd be a monster in a couple years if he'd stayed and made that transition.

Are you guys playing a 3-4 or a 4-3 defensive front? Sparaco's a good guy and a good player. I think he'd be a monster as a 4-3 DE immediately. But what probably hurt his prospects for the number of snaps he could play at CU this year was that he wasn't going to play much OLB unless it was pretty much with his hand on the ground in a short yardage or pass rush situation. And he'd need to put on quite a bit of weight still to hold up as a 3-4 DE/DT, where I think he'd be a monster in a couple years if he'd stayed and made that transition.

Yeah, I agree that his future is as an athletic down lineman but he needed to get a lot bigger to hold up at the P5 level.

Against FCS level athletes he may be able to make the transition much faster and dominate with his athletic ability. If he can settle down and stay someplace he could end up a very, very good player.

We run a 4-3, and the buck position is a hybrid DE/LB, have to be able to rush and play the edge with your hand down, but also drop back into coverage. Traditionally we've funneled plays to the position, but since we haven't had a dynamic playmaker there in a few years we've had to mix our schemes up a bit.

The Big Sky has traditionally been a pass-heavy league, although there are a few teams who are starting to stray away from that. You need LBs who can run sideline to sideline more than just clog up lanes. I think Sparaco could fit the buck nicely, able to rush the passer but also make plays in space. I'm not sure he is a pure LB in this league.

Back