What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams Again... TOld you so

ill say our special teams are the most consistent unit on the entire team... just because they are ****ty doesn't mean they are any less consistent... just means they are consistently ****ty

ok kicker77...why the hell are you chatting here? If you are such a great commodity why don't you have a ST job? Are you just another internet poser?

ok kicker77...why the hell are you chatting here? If you are such a great commodity why don't you have a ST job? Are you just another internet poser?

To be honest, I quite enjoy kicker77's perspective and many of us know who he is. Special teams players and statistics are of interest to me, so I hope he continues the discussion.
I was intrigued by one of his recent points: that our special teams could be strong again with the same players we have now. Obviously, not every player in the unit is great, but do we have the talent pool (properly coached) to have special teams be something of which the buffs can be proud again? Who is not being used to their potential, and who is having the talent coached right out of them?

Game day depth chart seems off or outdated - we've all been told Kirkwood is the guy this week but I guess that "OR" can mean anything.

Oct. 11 Gameday Depth Chart

Special Teams
PUNTER
15 Zach Grossnickle, 6‐2, 190, Fr.‐RS
40 Justin Castor, 6‐3, 190, Fr.

PLACEKICKER / KICKOFF
40 Justin Castor, 6‐3, 190, Fr. OR
13 Aric Goodman, 5‐10, 195, Sr.‐5** OR
38 Marcus Kirkwood, 6‐6, 220, Jr. (L)
Where the hell is Dillan Frieberg? Until this depth chart he was #2 punter.
Good kid, big leg, great stats, so ... seriously now, what did they do with him? Crap.
PUNT RETURN
2 Travon Patterson, 5‐9, 175, Sr.‐5*
17 Toney Clemons, 6‐2, 210, Jr.

KICKOFF RETURN
17 Toney Clemons, 6‐2, 210, Jr.
22 Arthur Jaffee, 5‐11, 210, Jr.*
16 Will Jefferson, 5‐11, 190, Soph.*
2 Travon Patterson, 5‐9, 175, Sr.‐5*
(20 Brian Lockridge, 57, 185, Jr.**injured)

Not sure where Dillan is.. I agree though he is a pretty good kicker. Not a big leg..yet. Def has a lot of potential to be a great college kicker/punter. Better chance as kicker. Ill put a film on here of a high school senior client of mine and show you a big leg. Better than most D1 kickers and punters. I would put him against any punter in the nation, kicking...has one of the fastest legs I have ever seen, Pros included. needs to be more consistent, kickoffs can hit 75-80 now. By the way my seniors already kick off the ground and off one inch blocks on kickoffs.

Whole Lee Crap.

They burn Justin Castor's redshirt last week on one blocked kick.
They spend a week pumping up Kirkwood as starting kicker --- he even had the "starting kicker" video on the big screen prior to the game.

And then, they put Goodman back in for every kicking opportunity. After telling him that he'd lost the position one week ago.

I checked: Kirkwood was not sick or injured today. Nor was he told prior today that he was not the starter, after being told this week he was. It was a surprise when Goodman was warming up and went out for the first FG.

How do you like them apples?

Did Hawkins adopt Goodman or something?

Honestly, if you want to screw with some kickers' heads, do exactly what this staff did in a 10-day period.

• Yank the poorly-performing starter,

• throw in the unprepared true freshman,

• have the special teams coach announce there is an open kicking competition,

• have the head coach ONE HOUR LATER tell the press that a walk-on junior is starting kicker,

• then tell the freshman he's out after burning his shirt and attempting a single kick,
  • announce the walk-on junior is the guy, put his face on the big screen video and promote,

• organize media interviews and video with the junior who will be starting his first game,

• THEN at game time put the senior with the 25% accuracy on FGs back in the game,
  • and -- rather than have anyone kick - run unsuccessful 2-pt attempts instead of XPs.

I cannot understand a SINGLE decision they made on kicking this week and last. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Think Kirkwood was surprised by the turn of events? This article ran on CUBuffs 10/14/2010:
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Kirkwood, a junior who is left-footed but right-handed, will go into Saturday night eager and excited. He came out of August camp believing he had been competitive with Goodman and Castor - Kirkwood called it "an absolute battle" - and coach Dan Hawkins acknowledged the competition was "close."[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]When practice resumed Tuesday, Kirkwood had moved to the front of the line. And unless something unscripted happens, Saturday's first shot goes to Kirkwood, who at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds will be the school's largest kicker on record (as if size matters at this position).[/FONT]

Guess somebody changed their minds before kickoff.
Pretty crappy way to treat your players IMO. All of them.

Think Kirkwood was surprised by the turn of events? This article ran on CUBuffs 10/14/2010:
[FONT=Cambria, serif]When practice resumed Tuesday, Kirkwood had moved to the front of the line. And unless something unscripted happens, Saturday's first shot goes to Kirkwood, who at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds will be the school's largest kicker on record (as if size matters at this position).[/FONT]

Is anything scripted with this team anymore???? :huh::rolling_eyes::wow:

Is anything scripted with this team anymore???? :huh::rolling_eyes::wow:

If you are NOT playing Kirkwood, why announce it? Why run video interviews on cubuffs.com with the kid, excited as all get-out to get his chance?

Hell, I'd prefer saying "we will decide at gametime" to screwing with the kickers' (and I mean plural) mental preparation this way.

You guys just don't get the big picture.

I have sources. They tell me that Kirkwood forgot his lunchpail on Tuesday. he was suspended from the game today. Oh, and he only got one horn out for Thurday practice.

Honestly, if you want to screw with some kickers' heads, do exactly what this staff did in a 10-day period.

• Yank the poorly-performing starter,

• throw in the unprepared true freshman,

• have the special teams coach announce there is an open kicking competition,

• have the head coach ONE HOUR LATER tell the press that a walk-on junior is starting kicker,

• then tell the freshman he's out after burning his shirt and attempting a single kick,
  • announce the walk-on junior is the guy, put his face on the big screen video and promote,

• organize media interviews and video with the junior who will be starting his first game,

• THEN at game time put the senior with the 25% accuracy on FGs back in the game,
  • and -- rather than have anyone kick - run unsuccessful 2-pt attempts instead of XPs.

I cannot understand a SINGLE decision they made on kicking this week and last. Just. Don't. Get. It.

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Kirkwood, a junior who is left-footed but right-handed, will go into Saturday night eager and excited. He came out of August camp believing he had been competitive with Goodman and Castor - Kirkwood called it "an absolute battle" - and coach Dan Hawkins acknowledged the competition was "close."[/FONT]

Any good kickers out there liking what they hear? Come play for Hawkins!

You guys just don't get the big picture.

I have sources. They tell me that Kirkwood forgot his lunchpail on Tuesday. he was suspended from the game today. Oh, and he only got one horn out for Thurday practice.

I'm afraid the honest answer is they were willing to screw with both Kirkwood and Castor in order to motivate golden shoes.
That is how seriously goofed up their logic is.

And the sad thing, in a way, is he made the damn FGs, so he's back to being our starter. Only don't expect the walkons to stay around forever being told they will get to be on game night, and then yanking their chance away without explanation.

Here's BG Brooks official version:

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Junior Marcus Kirkwood was supposed to make his placekicking debut and was on the field after CU's first score. But the Buffs lined up in their "Shoestring" formation, with Kirkwood on the left side of the formation, and holder/backup quarterback Cody Hawkins signaled for the two-point try rather than pulling the offense back into a kicking formation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Hawkins' pass fell incomplete and the Buffs settled for a 6-0 lead that lasted until Griffin and tight end Jerod Monk teamed for a 9-yard scoring pass with 5:32 left before intermission. Jones, whose 24-yard field goal attempt clanked off the right upright earlier in the second quarter, kicked the PAT and Baylor led 7-6.[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]CU retaliated with Stewart's 6-yard dive at the left pylon, capping an eight-play, 65-yard drive to push the Buffs ahead 12-7.[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Griffin's first pass on the next series was tipped by defensive tackle Will Pericak and intercepted by Sipili at the Baylor 24. But CU went into reverse with a Hansen sack that lost eight yards, and on fourth-and-14 at the 28, Aric Goodman - not Kirkwood - attempted and made a 45-yard field goal.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Dan Hawkins said the plan was to use Goodman "if we had to take a long shot. I think he hit a 57-yarder in warm-ups and sometimes you go by feel."[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]With Goodman's field goal - his second in five attempts this season - the Buffs went up 15-7, but Jones hit a 50-yard field on the final play of the half to cut the Bears' deficit to 15-10. And on their first possession of the second half, he added a 25-yarder to pull Baylor to within 15-13.[/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]I believe the plan is to see if they can get Kirkwood to quit, so only Goodman is left to kick FGs by default. They won't play Justin again, citing he is "not ready" for prime time. I am not being sarcastic. Worked with the walk-on QBs, didn't it? Just eliminate the competition.
[/FONT]

no words can explain how i feel, let alone marcus....... I dont know what to say other than nice loss.... nice 2 point conversions... and Marcus... shoulda gone to FSU or Penn state and get a bowl ring at least for getting F'd and kicked in the balls.. I am done supporting anything CU football does not sending any kickers their way

Alfred your dead on.. that is exactly what they want... i want to tell you what I know but cannot... this is the worst BS I have seen in the history of coaching... yea your the starter...wait... well go for 2 and kick you in the balls..... wait FG...no bend over... The fact is.. goodman will finish out 45%.. im done, I dont know what to say..........

Whole Lee Crap.

They burn Justin Castor's redshirt last week on one blocked kick.
They spend a week pumping up Kirkwood as starting kicker --- he even had the "starting kicker" video on the big screen prior to the game.

And then, they put Goodman back in for every kicking opportunity. After telling him that he'd lost the position one week ago.

I checked: Kirkwood was not sick or injured today. Nor was he told prior today that he was not the starter, after being told this week he was. It was a surprise when Goodman was warming up and went out for the first FG.

How do you like them apples?

kirkwood missed badly in the final 3 field goals in warm up... they werent even close... then after the players went in... it looked like they had an open competition with kirkwood castor and goodman...

Last edited:
The problem is that we have tons of guys that apparently suck. If any of them were reasonable, I have a hard time believing that the coaches wouldn't play them. It seems like it'd be pretty obvious as to what to do if we had a kicker that was consistent in practice.

Alfred your dead on.. that is exactly what they want... i want to tell you what I know but cannot... this is the worst BS I have seen in the history of coaching... yea your the starter...wait... well go for 2 and kick you in the balls..... wait FG...no bend over... The fact is.. goodman will finish out 45%.. im done, I dont know what to say..........
You mean to tell me....that...gasp! Our special teams suck? I don't think anyone on this board would dare go to that extreme. I caution you sir! You don't want to get clinic'd by our esteemed coach Riddle? Or do you!

:lol: Tell us something we don't know. Apparently all of our kickers we have on the roster suck. Cut them all and have open tryouts next week. Didn't TTU do this a couple years back?

Disregarding the whole ****ing over the walkon and true freshman part of things. What the **** is Hawk doing? We can make XPs just fine as well as short FGs. Goodman can't make them from 40+ out. Do they really think we're so stupid that we think we have a problem coverting XPs so they're now free to go for 2 all the ****ing time? Just to get Cody some ****ing playing time? Just start his ass who cares, but kick XPs.

kirkwood missed badly in the final 3 field goals in warm up... they werent even close... then after the players went in... it looked like they had an open competition with kirkwood castor and goodman...

Okay, BCS, if you were watching the final field goals in warm ups, what precisely happened with Goodmans' final kick? Do you remember?
You can't make this up: he hit it off the right upright. It bounced back to the 15 yard line.

HE HIT IT OFF THE RIGHT UPRIGHT.
It was the last warmup kick before kickoff by any kicker, but the coaches knew they "had their man."

The issue is telling a kicker, Kirkwood, all week he will start and then changing the rules without warning. For all we know, Kirkwood and Castor missed the final kicks because Riddle suddenly told them to change their steps (which he has done) or length of stride, or any number of technical changes that should not be made at game time.

You mean to tell me....that...gasp! Our special teams suck? I don't think anyone on this board would dare go to that extreme. I caution you sir! You don't want to get clinic'd by our esteemed coach Riddle? Or do you!

:lol: Tell us something we don't know. Apparently all of our kickers we have on the roster suck. Cut them all and have open tryouts next week. Didn't TTU do this a couple years back?

Or someone wants you to THINK they suck.
Don't buy this used car without kicking the tires.

I want everyone to quit telling me what an honorable guy that Hawkins is. It is just true. The guy is a jerk and he has been a jerk since day one. I often do not like the coaching job that some guys do but seldom do I dislike them as people. Hawkins is the exception to that rule. He has crapped on more players than you can imagine.

Back