What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Special Teams Again... TOld you so

Okay, BCS, if you were watching the final field goals in warm ups, what precisely happened with Goodmans' final kick? Do you remember?
You can't make this up: he hit it off the right upright. It bounced back to the 15 yard line.

HE HIT IT OFF THE RIGHT UPRIGHT.
It was the last warmup kick before kickoff by any kicker, but the coaches knew they "had their man."

The issue is telling a kicker, Kirkwood, all week he will start and then changing the rules without warning. For all we know, Kirkwood and Castor missed the final kicks because Riddle suddenly told them to change their steps (which he has done) or length of stride, or any number of technical changes that should not be made at game time.

that was kirkwood's final kick of the three bad misses before the try out

that was kirkwood's final kick of the three bad misses before the try out

Sorry, it was Goodman who hit the upright.
I am 100% sure what I saw, but I even walked over and asked someone I knew a few rows away, "what just happened at the end of warmups?" and they said "Goodman hit the upright on the last kick."

I thought it was so amazing that would happen, I went over to a person I knew was observing and confirmed.

Not Kirkwood.

Last edited:
Moot point, then. Regardless, if he hit one off the uprights in warmups, and Goodman has done it like 19 times in games, does that mean Kirkwood should be pulled from the game in which he's been named starter?

Is the holder really allowed to change the play to a 2 point conversion attempt at his whim? That's incredible.

Is the holder really allowed to change the play to a 2 point conversion attempt at his whim? That's incredible.

What was said after the Georgia game was that if Cody sees something he's got the green light to go for 2. I'm not certain if that's accurate, though, but I believe that there was a comment along those lines that came from Coach Hawkins. But I'm not 100% certain.

I want everyone to quit telling me what an honorable guy that Hawkins is. It is just true. The guy is a jerk and he has been a jerk since day one. I often do not like the coaching job that some guys do but seldom do I dislike them as people. Hawkins is the exception to that rule. He has crapped on more players than you can imagine.

I agree 100%. He's a dick and does not think twice about screwing his players. **** him.

If cody is changing extra point calls at the line of scrimmage, that has a serious affect on my opinion of him. I was thinking of him as a victim of his father. This changes that.

Moot point, then. Regardless, if he hit one off the uprights in warmups, and Goodman has done it like 19 times in games, does that mean Kirkwood should be pulled from the game in which he's been named starter?

no but it was clear they had tryouts before the band came out

no but it was clear they had tryouts before the band came out

If they were still having "tryouts" at the game, as you suggest, then it was a crappy move to run all this official press on Marcus Kirkwood this week, if he wasn't going to play:

CUbuffs.com Oct. 14 "Kirkwood Travels Improbable Path into Football"
CUbuffs.com Oct. 13 Wednesday Post Practice Interviews: | PK Marcus Kirkwood |
Kirkwood: "I've been waiting a long time for it, really excited, taking full advantage of it ..."

The day before, Hawkins made it official during the media luncheon:
Posted October 12, 2010, 1:14 pm MT
CU makes change at placekicker

By Tom Kensler

BOULDER – Earlier on Tuesday, Colorado special teams coach Kent Riddle said the job as the Buffs’ No. 1 place-kicker is up for grabs and won’t be determined until later in the week. But about an hour later, head coach Dan Hawkins did not sidestep the issue.

Hawkins said during his media luncheon that junior Marcus Kirkwood “right now is at the front of the line” and will get the first placement attempt Saturday night in the home game against Baylor.

Kirkwood will replace senior Aric Goodman, who was wide left on a 40-yard field goal attempt Saturday in the 26-0 loss at Missouri. On the season, Goodman has made just one of four field goal tries.

If they were still having "tryouts" at the game, as you suggest, then it was a crappy move to run all this official press on Marcus Kirkwood this week, if he wasn't going to play:

CUbuffs.com Oct. 14 "Kirkwood Travels Improbable Path into Football"
CUbuffs.com Oct. 13 Wednesday Post Practice Interviews: | PK Marcus Kirkwood |
Kirkwood: "I've been waiting a long time for it, really excited, taking full advantage of it ..."

The day before, Hawkins made it official during the media luncheon:
Posted October 12, 2010, 1:14 pm MT
CU makes change at placekicker

By Tom Kensler

BOULDER – Earlier on Tuesday, Colorado special teams coach Kent Riddle said the job as the Buffs’ No. 1 place-kicker is up for grabs and won’t be determined until later in the week. But about an hour later, head coach Dan Hawkins did not sidestep the issue.

Hawkins said during his media luncheon that junior Marcus Kirkwood “right now is at the front of the line” and will get the first placement attempt Saturday night in the home game against Baylor.

Kirkwood will replace senior Aric Goodman, who was wide left on a 40-yard field goal attempt Saturday in the 26-0 loss at Missouri. On the season, Goodman has made just one of four field goal tries.

you act like im arguing with you... the only thing im arguing with you on is the fact that it was kirkwood who doinked it off the upright not money...

you act like im arguing with you... the only thing im arguing with you on is the fact that it was kirkwood who doinked it off the upright not money...

Yeah, Let's fight.:duel2:

Actually, for a generally peaceful person like myself, I am in one helluva a cranky mood. Isn't there someone we need to make a commemorative video for?

It is not unusual to allow the player to change a special teams call if he makes certain reads as preinstructed by the coaches. Gb used to let them change to a fake punt if certain conditions were in place and the right read was made.

Well this explains ... nothing.
Hawkins says it’s “kicker by committee”

“Yeah, that’s always a kicker by committee so we’ll see,” Hawkins said on Monday’s Big 12 Conference call. “I was proud of Aric. He came in and did a nice job and made both of his so we’ll see how it progresses.”
I guess that little blip about starting Kirkwood and playing Castor is over, now that Goodman has finally found his mojo.

All better now, nothing to see here, move along...

Back