What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spin mode gearing up

With the assistants that are available this year, not upgrading the staff is enough for me to completely check out on MM. This is a business, not a social club.

We were also 16th nationally for the season as a whole on kickoff returns average yardage.

I'm not a Neinas apologist. If you want to can him for being a crappy recruiter, I get it - and I wouldn't disagree, but the narrative that our special teams suck is just plain wrong.

We were also 16th nationally for the season as a whole on kickoff returns average yardage.I'm not a Neinas apologist. If you want to can him for being a crappy recruiter, I get it - and I wouldn't disagree, but the narrative that our special teams suck is just plain wrong.
You realize our STs have an advantage playing so many games at altitude, right? Average doesn't or shouldn't cut it.

You realize our STs have an advantage playing so many games at altitude, right? Average doesn't or shouldn't cut it.

There are only 20 teams with a dedicated Special Teams Coordinator. You would expect better results than average.

Hope I'm wrong, but MacIntyre seems to think recruiting is right on track and that they are close on the field. Not sure he sees any need to shake things up.
You're probably right. I could see no changes this year. If we don't make progress next year, I could see heads rolling...not Mac's though.

I'm not going to jump the gun here quite yet, but if Neinas returns I'm going to be severely disappointed. His ST has sucked. He brings nothing else to the table coaching wise. Recruiting is subpar at best. Whiffed hard on his only kicker recruit so far. And is one of like 4 CU coaches that recruits the state of Colorado. Where he hasn't really landed anyone yet, but coaches like him, so that's nice.

Agree with our resident bunny

Hope I'm wrong, but MacIntyre seems to think recruiting is right on track and that they are close on the field. Not sure he sees any need to shake things up.

Then he's as clueless as hawkins if this is what he believes. If he's recruiting to beat umass and Hawaii he's right on track.

My biggest special teams concern is going forward in the kicking game. CU's leanest years also coincided with having our best kicker and punter since Mason Crosby and John Torp and now they are both gone from the program. We're going to take a step back in that area in 2015. There will be growing pains. And it will become clear how much that was boosting Neinas' resume.

So that helps us return kicks? Now I have heard everything!
No. But returning kicks has never been a big issue for us. We were good there some seasons under Hawkins. Neinas has done little other than inherit a couple solid kickers.

With the assistants that are available this year, not upgrading the staff is enough for me to completely check out on MM. This is a business, not a social club.
Saved for future reference.

No. But returning kicks has never been a big issue for us. We were good there some seasons under Hawkins. Neinas has done little other than inherit a couple solid kickers.
Here is a cut and paste from the Pac 12 conference team statistics http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

This is a head to head comparison of CU vs all 9 conference opponents. What jumps out at you? For me it is the following:
1) CU scored 56 points off opponents turnovers, opponents scored 249 off of CU's. That's a 193 point differential. Just wow...
2) CU gives up too many yards against the run
3) We just about held our own offensively. Better in some categories worse but close in others
4) 3 yard advantage in KO returns, 4 yard disadvantage in punt returns
5) Our opponents had a 0.5 yard advantage in net punting and just under a 1 yard advantage in net Kickoffs
6) We missed 4 more field goals than our opponents (3 misses against Cal effectively cost us that game)
7) Our Red Zone score % and Red Zone TD% was identical to our opponents - we just had significantly few opportunities (11), which lines up almost exactly to our turnover deficit (-10 overall, -12 in INT's).

Personally, I think people freaked at the poor special teams at the start of last year, which improved as the season went on. It was repeated this year with terrible showings in the CSU and UMass games. People were so convinced our special teams sucked, they stopped bringing in new information to form an opinion. I know last year, we made personnel changes to improve ST's with more starters involved after the terrible showing the first few games. Did the same happen this year? I don't know. I do know that we played our conference opponents to roughly a stalemate on special teams. If we could say the same on defense (particularly defensive rushing) and turnover margin, we win more games.

Could ST's be better? Sure they could, but the numbers do not show that being our primary problem - not by a long shot.

Capture.JPG

And as Duff said, someone needs to point out that Neinas should coach well during the OOC conference games. Oh, and during fake punt attempts. HCMM said they had seen the Utah fake on film, but failed to ensure the kids got lined up right. That's coaching.

Reactions: aik
That Utah fake punt was a disaster. Absolute disaster. Right out of halftime, we stop them, and then that. Contain that fake, get the ball at the 40 yard line, and score. That pretty much ends the game right there barring a complete collapse somewhere else.

Special teams rarely win you games, but they can sure as Hell lose you games.

That article was more about HCMM than Neinas. In fact it didn't reference Neinas all that much. Good to hear for in state recruiting, especially with Valor.

You're correct, except maybe one of the most important lines of the article at the end, referencing Neinas. It seems to be a common view on these boards that Neinas is a terrible coach and recruiter. I'm 100% just curious where that comes from? Lack of in-state recruiting success? Someone fill me in on why everyone around here is so down on Toby.

And as Duff said, someone needs to point out that Neinas should coach well during the OOC conference games. Oh, and during fake punt attempts. HCMM said they had seen the Utah fake on film, but failed to ensure the kids got lined up right. That's coaching.

That Utah fake punt was a disaster. Absolute disaster. Right out of halftime, we stop them, and then that. Contain that fake, get the ball at the 40 yard line, and score. That pretty much ends the game right there barring a complete collapse somewhere else.

Special teams rarely win you games, but they can sure as Hell lose you games.
I agree the fake punt vs Utah was a disaster.

Question: did we change personnel after struggling with special teams vs CSU and UMass? We did last year after starting off so poorly on special teams, and played pretty well the rest of the season. I don't believe Neinas has full control of who is on special teams.

Here is the funny thing: I could give a rat's ass about Neinas, and I think it is generally proven he is not a stellar recruiter. I just tend to step up when people say things that I believe are patently untrue and the facts support it being untrue. With that note, I don't really care to debate it further. Hopefully, the facts have given some folks some things to think about beyond a knee jerk "CU's special teams suck" opinion.

All in all, it is stunning to know we were dead last in the conference in wins given where we were statistically. The horrible defense and turnover ratio killed us.

I know people don't like the excuses, but a couple plays go the other way against Oregon St, Cal, UCLA and Utah, and you're talking about a 6-6, bowl eligible team with a 4-5 P12 record. That would be on par with our P12 "stats". Nobody likes "moral victories", but this may be the biggest, most daunting rebuilding project in the country, and I think people need to give this staff a little more leniency than some are currently giving.

You're correct, except maybe one of the most important lines of the article at the end, referencing Neinas. It seems to be a common view on these boards that Neinas is a terrible coach and recruiter. I'm 100% just curious where that comes from? Lack of in-state recruiting success? Someone fill me in on why everyone around here is so down on Toby.
I don't think anyone thinks Toby is a terrible coach. I think its more along the lines that he is a dedicated ST coach. If that is case, you need your Special Teams to be dynamic. I also think you are missing out on an opportunity to bring in an elite recruiter when you hamstring yourself this way.

Here is a cut and paste from the Pac 12 conference team statistics http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

This is a head to head comparison of CU vs all 9 conference opponents. What jumps out at you? For me it is the following:
1) CU scored 56 points off opponents turnovers, opponents scored 249 off of CU's. That's a 193 point differential. Just wow...

View attachment 15403

Good work...but I wonder where the Pac-12 got that turnover stat. If CU had 21 turnovers, and opponents scored 249 points off them, that's 11.9 points per possession. Does not compute.

I know people don't like the excuses, but a couple plays go the other way against Oregon St, Cal, UCLA and Utah, and you're talking about a 6-6, bowl eligible team with a 4-5 P12 record. That would be on par with our P12 "stats". Nobody likes "moral victories", but this may be the biggest, most daunting rebuilding project in the country, and I think people need to give this staff a little more leniency than some are currently giving.

I actually agree with you, but not when it comes to Neinas. It's been said a lot, but if you're going to be a dedicated special teams coach, you better have; A) outstanding special teams, and B) outstanding recruiting results. He has neither.

The stat that jumped out at me was the points off turnovers. That's a freakish differential. Just awful.

I don't think anyone thinks Toby is a terrible coach. I think its more along the lines that he is a dedicated ST coach. If that is case, you need your Special Teams to be dynamic. I also think you are missing out on an opportunity to bring in an elite recruiter when you hamstring yourself this way.

Well, I see a lot of people ripping our special teams' play, so that seems to be an indictment on his coaching abilities. I think our weakest ST area is kick coverage, in all honesty. However, that's more about the players and their discipline to stay in lanes, get off blocks and tackle than it is on the coaching strategy. As recruiting gets better, players develop and our STs start to be comprised of more than Freshman and Sophomores, the better the STs will get.

Good work...but I wonder where the Pac-12 got that turnover stat. If CU had 21 turnovers, and opponents scored 249 points off them, that's 11.9 points per possession. Does not compute.
I think 21 is the turnover differential, not total turnovers. If it is total, you're correct though, it does not compute.

Then he's as clueless as hawkins if this is what he believes. If he's recruiting to beat umass and Hawaii he's right on track.

This is also a common view I've seen on these boards. Who do you think we (meaning the CU football program) are on a national landscape? You think HCMM looks at these 0,1,2 and 3 star recruits and thinks, "these are the missing links that will put us over the top against Oregon"?? Our goal isn't to get recruits "to beat umass and Hawaii", but this program hasn't been relevant for almost a decade. The 17 and 18 year olds that are being recruited were 6, 7 and 8 years old the last time CU WASN'T a national punchline for futility. This coaching staff has to start somewhere and the recruits they've been able to sign and receive verbals from are the best they can realistically get at this point. Quit acting like this program has the prestige and success of Alabama, but is recruiting like a mid-major.

Our ST's play got better this year it feels like, but it still wasn't great.

However, I don't think there needs to be "spin". Coach Mac will have Neinas on staff if he thinks he's getting the job done and that's all on Mac.

9 straight losing seasons has worn me out. I like MikMac. I think he is a very good coach. But it will practically take a miracle worker at this point. Any talk of wholesale changes are not a good idea. It very well may be that AC's do not want a CU job, maybe what MikMac has assembled is the best he can get. Having said that, there are a few changes I would be in favor of, but it isn't my head on the chopping block if it doesn't work out, it is MikMac's. If he wants to ride into battle with the current staff, so be it.

Our ST's play got better this year it feels like, but it still wasn't great.

However, I don't think there needs to be "spin". Coach Mac will have Neinas on staff if he thinks he's getting the job done and that's all on Mac.

Precisely. Mac has full control over who is on his staff and his entire career is riding on his assistant coaches doing their jobs. If he doesn't think a coach is cutting it or there's better (realistic) option out there, he'll make a move.

Well, I see a lot of people ripping our special teams' play, so that seems to be an indictment on his coaching abilities. I think our weakest ST area is kick coverage, in all honesty. However, that's more about the players and their discipline to stay in lanes, get off blocks and tackle than it is on the coaching strategy. As recruiting gets better, players develop and our STs start to be comprised of more than Freshman and Sophomores, the better the STs will get.

Is the coach not responsible for player discipline and preparation?

Precisely. Mac has full control over who is on his staff and his entire career is riding on his assistant coaches doing their jobs. If he doesn't think a coach is cutting it or there's better (realistic) option out there, he'll make a move.
Not all coaches do that. Still too early to tell with Mac. Hawkins couldn't fire incompetent coaches.

Is the coach not responsible for player discipline and preparation?

Yes, but at some point the players need to go out and make plays. The coaches can teach, show film, yell, make correct calls, etc. but they can't force the players to get off blocks, stay in their lanes or wrap up on a tackle. The only thing a coach can do to fix those issues is put another guy in who they think can do the job better. Like I stated previously, when we start getting better players in the program and have more upper class men playing STs, these issues should resolve themselves. What our lack of special team's success should show is just how bare the cupboards were when Mac took over.

Back