What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spin mode gearing up

This is also a common view I've seen on these boards. Who do you think we (meaning the CU football program) are on a national landscape? You think HCMM looks at these 0,1,2 and 3 star recruits and thinks, "these are the missing links that will put us over the top against Oregon"?? Our goal isn't to get recruits "to beat umass and Hawaii", but this program hasn't been relevant for almost a decade. The 17 and 18 year olds that are being recruited were 6, 7 and 8 years old the last time CU WASN'T a national punchline for futility. This coaching staff has to start somewhere and the recruits they've been able to sign and receive verbals from are the best they can realistically get at this point. Quit acting like this program has the prestige and success of Alabama, but is recruiting like a mid-major.

Quit acting like we are New Mexico State. There is no excuse to be battling MWC teams for recruits.

Yes, but at some point the players need to go out and make plays. The coaches can teach, show film, yell, make correct calls, etc. but they can't force the players to get off blocks, stay in their lanes or wrap up on a tackle. The only thing a coach can do to fix those issues is put another guy in who they think can do the job better. Like I stated previously, when we start getting better players in the program and have more upper class men playing STs, these issues should resolve themselves. What our lack of special team's success should show is just how bare the cupboards were when Mac took over.
What about maybe teaching kids how to get off blocks, stay in their lanes and wrap up a tackle? Is that coaching, or are those just skills that people are (or are not) naturally endowed with?

Quit acting like we are New Mexico State. There is no excuse to be battling MWC teams for recruits.
I think it would be a good excercize for you to say one nice thing about CU because I can't imagine that all the anger you have is healthy.

CU is one the worst Power 5 teams in the country (record wise) over the past decade. Their current 2015 recruiting class is ranked right around 59-60 in the country and ahead of a couple big name teams (Florida and Michigan) and smaller P5 teams (Kansas, Iowa St. etc). That's about on par with their national perception. Just face the fact that CU is fighting for the 2nd and 3rd tier players that don't get offers from Alabama, Oregon, USC, UCLA, etc. The players that CU can realistically attract right now are the 3 star recruits that are the top end of the Mid-Major recruiting focus. That's why coaching and player development is so key in a huge rebuild like CU. These coaches have to get the less talented players to compete and beat the "blue-chippers" at the big schools, and hope they find a couple diamonds in the rough that help get this program to the next level. It's called recruiting momentum.

What about maybe teaching kids how to get off blocks, stay in their lanes and wrap up a tackle? Is that coaching, or are those just skills that people are (or are not) naturally endowed with?

I sense the sarcasm, but it's honestly a bit of both. You can teach a "rip" technique and run drills in practice over and over but they have to go out and do it on the field. Same goes with wrapping up when tackling. You can teach the technique and practice it all Spring and Fall, but when you're in a game and your adrenaline is pumping, some players revert to poor habits that they're not naturally endowed with. My point is that coaching can only go so far; you have to have the players. You give Nick Saban and his staff CU's roster for 1 year and they maybe have a couple more wins but they're not going crazy.

I think you're both saying the same thing. there are two parts to being a college coach. the first is teaching your players to play to the best of their ability. the second part is bringing in players that allow your team a chance to win. Mac seems very good at the first part. Competing with New Mexico for two star players creates doubt in the second area.

I think it would be a good excercize for you to say one nice thing about CU because I can't imagine that all the anger you have is healthy.

Fatty isn't mad. He's simply seeking accountability and responsibility that is necessary to transform CU's program from what it is now into what it could be.

The assumption that this about saying nice things and anger management is awfully sweat and almost motherly.

But we've tried 5 years of Kumbaya fan support under Hawkins and for all of our loyal and blind support, all we got to show for it was Embree.

Tough love =/= anger.

CU is one the worst Power 5 teams in the country (record wise) over the past decade. Their current 2015 recruiting class is ranked right around 59-60 in the country and ahead of a couple big name teams (Florida and Michigan) and smaller P5 teams (Kansas, Iowa St. etc). That's about on par with their national perception. Just face the fact that CU is fighting for the 2nd and 3rd tier players that don't get offers from Alabama, Oregon, USC, UCLA, etc. The players that CU can realistically attract right now are the 3 star recruits that are the top end of the Mid-Major recruiting focus. That's why coaching and player development is so key in a huge rebuild like CU. These coaches have to get the less talented players to compete and beat the "blue-chippers" at the big schools, and hope they find a couple diamonds in the rough that help get this program to the next level. It's called recruiting momentum.

As long as the classes continue to get better, and on-field results with it, I agree with this. But for only 2 more classes. The 2017 class needs to be a good one. Like Top 25 good.

As long as the classes continue to get better, and on-field results with it, I agree with this. But for only 2 more classes. The 2017 class needs to be a good one. Like Top 25 good.

By 2017 MM could very well be gone

ITT we learn that when your roof starts leaking, you only fix it once your basement is flooded

I love being reminded that we can't recruit against USC. Sometimes I forget that and expect us to be in Imam Marshall's final 5, but then superposters appear and remind me. Good stuff. Rep coming.

I am saying good things about CU. I am saying that we are better than we have been accepting. You guys are saying saying CU sucks so bad we cant possibly recruit anybody but P5 leftovers. Its time for accountability, not excuses.

Sorry dude. We are not fighting for second or third tier recruits if we are competing with mid-major teams for recruits. You are out of your mind if you think we are going to compete in the Pac12 with mid-major recruits. BTW, have you met 'tini yet?

I am saying good things about CU. I am saying that we are better than we have been accepting. You guys are saying saying CU sucks so bad we cant possibly recruit anybody but P5 leftovers. Its time for accountability, not excuses.
I agree. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Is the coach not responsible for player discipline and preparation?
I was in charge of remodeling a kitchen. I had to pull up the subfloor and replace it. The room below was finished. I told the kid working for me, "Kenny, whatever you do, don't fall through the ceiling." He said, "OK", then seconds later fell through the ceiling. So, who was my boss pissed at? Me. :lol:

I was in charge of remodeling a kitchen. I had to pull up the subfloor and replace it. The room below was finished. I told the kid working for me, "Kenny, whatever you do, don't fall through the ceiling." He said, "OK", then seconds later fell through the ceiling. So, who was my boss pissed at? Me. :lol:

My point exactly, DBT.

Fatty isn't mad. He's simply seeking accountability and responsibility that is necessary to transform CU's program from what it is now into what it could be.

The assumption that this about saying nice things and anger management is awfully sweat and almost motherly.

But we've tried 5 years of Kumbaya fan support under Hawkins and for all of our loyal and blind support, all we got to show for it was Embree.

Tough love =/= anger.

Thank you for being much more eloquent than I would have been.

I think you're both saying the same thing. there are two parts to being a college coach. the first is teaching your players to play to the best of their ability. the second part is bringing in players that allow your team a chance to win. Mac seems very good at the first part. Competing with New Mexico for two star players creates doubt in the second area.
Yes.

Well, maybe.

I think a lot of this falls on the assistants. It's pretty rare to find a coach that is a dynamite recruiter and great position coach. More often than not they're talented at one and not the other, and the good ones work very hard to bring the one they're not good at up to at least average.

So far, I have yet to see a coach on the current staff distinguish themselves on the recruiting trail. As far as developing players and teaching them to work as a unit, there are definitely some bright spots, as there with game planning as well. I was pleasantly surprised with the progress on the OL this year. Still missing some talent, but we did see some progress and player development. We've seen some progress with the DBs over the last couple years, and WR has done pretty good too. On other parts of the field, we haven't seen either an ability to develop talent or recruiting ability.

Granted, some of the other position group coaches haven't exactly had a lot to work with, but that is also their own fault.

I guess what I'm saying is that from the outside, some of the assistants seem to be pulling their weight in terms of player development and preparation. Others are not. Some of those responsible for game planning/preparation seem to be doing well too (Lindgren). Others are not. If the ones who aren't doing well at either of those things were kicking ass on the recruiting trail, that would be fine in my book. But they're not. No one is kicking ass on the recruiting trail.

Poor player development
Poor game planning/team preparation (if you're a coordinator)
Poor recruiting

three strikes, and you really should be out...

Back