What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Soccer

Sounds more like this will be a winter game

Aah- reminds me of the great wins over BYU and, I believe DU(???), in a couple NCAA tournament matches over the last few years in "fun" winter weather. Good times!
(Although I did doubt my sanity at the time walking to the BYU blizzard match, but once the goals went in- all was fine.)

This was my first spring game in at least five years. For the most part I haven’t attended as I figured it would be hard to tell what the fall would bring with so many freshmen and occasionally transfer arriving in August. Well, this season in my estimation, is different in that most of the pieces are in Boulder now with the big exception being Jorian Baucum.

Kansas State is going into a second season as a program IIRC. In the first half they had the better of the play and kept Scout Watson busy. KSU had control over the midfield for much for the time. However, CU was able to convert a corner when Taylor was left free in the box and easily headed home the service (I don’t remember who took the kick). Hard to imagine a Pac 12 foe making that mistake.

The second half saw the Buffs play with a bit more energy and poise. They were creating more chances and had better control of the midfield. Still, they didn’t really bother the K-State keeper too much as most of their shots were from distance and off-target.

One Buff newcomer I was watching closely was Martine Puketapu. She primarily played as a target forward in the middle of the front three (it looked like CU was playing a 4-3-3). She didn’t get a lot of time on the ball in the final third, but I was very impressed with her skills on the ball. She is good with her back to the defender and has good control. She and Taylor played off each other very well. If she can get service in the final third more consistently she will score and/or set up a lot of goals.
Injury news – JJ is recovering from a shoulder injury. During the match she was jogging on the track around the pitch. Scout has returned from a concussion. It appears that Stephanie Zuniga is out for about a year with a knee injury.

Congrats to Danica Evans' on her 1st pro start!

(As an admittingly not very knowledgeable soccer fan, had no idea whether Ms. Evans' flip throw(-ins) could be a major factor in the "pro game". From the post-match article (https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2017/05/07/marta-scores-first-nwsl-goal-pride-draw-fckc) ,
"Rookie Danica Evans made her first professional start on Sunday evening, playing 64 minutes and showcasing her signature flip throws throughout her appearance."
There's also one shown in the match highlight video - https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/...c-kansas-city-1-orlando-pride-1?autoplay=true)

I guess now it's "summer soccer." Three Buffs in action for their club teams today:

Was happy that there was an article on the soccer team, but was a bit disappointed with the depth of the piece. There really isn't anything in there that most of us didn't already know. There was no mention of who might be counted on to score this season outside of Poketapu and Kornieck - no mention of Baucom for example.

Back