What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

State Of The Fanbase

Where do you see the CU men's team finishing this year?

• NCAA Tourney

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • NIT Tourney

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • CBI Tourney

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Pain & Misery

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the failure of recruiting the last few seasons I really hope they get to the NCAA this year because we may be looking a dry spell after this year.

They've failed the last few seasons?

I think we'll be dancing. Other than Arizona and Cal there are no real powerhouses in the P12. I think the conference is lined up for the Buffs to come in 4th. I have a hunch this buffs team will be very good defensively and will play in several close games. I think this is one of those rare years we knock off Arizona at Coors. Finding an identity on offense will be our ticket.

Keys for success I think are:
- Finding a way to play inside out in the half court.
- Pushing the pace after rebounds and trying to get more fast break points.
- Assertiveness of Wes Gordon on the offensive end.
- Good and consistent PG play from Dom and XT.
- Fortune and King's ability to create offense and knock down open 3's.

Last edited:
I dunno where I'm at with how the team will finish, but I think if may be close to panic button time for recruiting. Have we just decided its impossible to recruit 4 stars here?

check who we are recruiting this year.

I'll say NIT if Scott stays healthy. We're being out recruited by just about every PAC school and unless you have a dominant PG the ceiling is capped. Tad needs to find his next Mayor ASAP.[/QUOTE]

This. :happy:

Yeah, this narrative is realllllly stupid.
Just because Dom didn't have a good year doesn't change the fact that he was a consensus 4 star, top 100 recruit.

We recruit 4 stars, but just can't land them. Maybe Tad needs to make a change in the coaching staff and get a top notch recruiter in here.

I am on record as saying I don't like the trend we have seen especially last year in recruiting but we do still recruit 4* and we have signed a 4* athlete as @torerobuff mentions just 1 year ago. It also ignores the fact that the 2 best players Boyle has coached and all 4 players who he's mentored who made the league were 3* players.

Recruiting has dropped since the Josh Scott class no doubt but this years' crop of players we are chasing is the best since that season, we will see how they close.

Yeah, I question this presumption as well. What a bunch of pathetic loser fans the Buffs have---"Who is this Burks 3* guy? "..."Never heard of this Roberson clown"..."What another unknown 3*, in some guy named Dinwiddie?"....After Ricardo's bunches, this team looks like heaven.

Wiscy and Butler continue to show the way to the Final Four, without top-name talent. No reason the Buffs can't join in the Dance this year, now that Ariel is gone.

Based on what we know right now...the 2013 and 2014 classes have not yet (and may never) produce a single "impact player" and on paper the 2015 and 2016 classes appear worse then every other team in the conference except for WSU. The other Pac-12 classes from last year versus the two players we added are especially disappointing with eight conference teams landing a Rivals top-30 ranked class. So yes as of right now it certainly looks like recruiting has failed the past several seasons.

Regarding the above post, Burks being named Missouri player of the year or Dinwiddie being named LA player of the year was a bit more encouraging to me then for example Kenan Guzinjic's 8ppg at a Juco or Deleon Brown being told to do a post-grad year.

Last edited:
*scared to say anything opinionated in the basketball forum (unless I have examined all the available analytics, plus considered the bball juntas opinion, to see if I'm in line with it, and if I'm not, don't even think about it mother****er)*

Last edited:
Here's how I see it.

non-conf schedule has three opportunities for wins over probable tourney teams: ISU, Hampton, SMU.
I'm counting ISU as a loss, assume we beat Hampton in Boulder and lose to SMU in LV.
rest of the non-conf slate we need to clean up. If we stumble @Auburn and @CSU, we'll be in tough shape w/r/t NCAA hopes heading into conference play. But I don't like traveling to Auburn for game 2 with this team just learning how to play together. I'm also concerned about CSU because I believe the Buffs will sweep the home non-conf home schedule and be "due for a loss" when they head to FoCo.

hokiehead prediction: Buffs go 9-4 in non-conf play.

Pac12 schedule is tough as usual. I count 8 out of 18 games against tourney teams (Utah x2, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon x2, OSU-West x2). Assume we go 9 - 9, sweeping the home schedule and dumping the road schedule. Based on what I know today, that's a reasonable prediction.

hokiehead prediction: 18-13 overall, with mediocre SOS, probably finishing middle of the Pac (pun intended) ==> NIT

now, surprise me Buffs!

Yeah, I question this presumption as well. What a bunch of pathetic loser fans the Buffs have---"Who is this Burks 3* guy? "..."Never heard of this Roberson clown"..."What another unknown 3*, in some guy named Dinwiddie?"....After Ricardo's bunches, this team looks like heaven.

Wiscy and Butler continue to show the way to the Final Four, without top-name talent. No reason the Buffs can't join in the Dance this year, now that Ariel is gone.

?????

*scared to say anything opinionated in the basketball forum (unless I have examined all the available analytics, plus considered the bball juntas opinion, to see if I'm in line with it, and if I'm not, don't even think about it mother****er)*
be a man.

Based on what we know right now...the 2013 and 2014 classes have not yet (and may never) produce a single "impact player" and on paper the 2015 and 2016 classes appear worse then every other team in the conference except for WSU. The other Pac-12 classes from last year versus the two players we added are especially disappointing with eight conference teams landing a Rivals top-30 ranked class. So yes as of right now it certainly looks like recruiting has failed the past several seasons.

Regarding the above post, Burks being named Missouri player of the year or Dinwiddie being named LA player of the year was a bit more encouraging to me then for example Kenan Guzinjic's 8ppg at a Juco or Deleon Brown being told to do a post-grad year.

That's pretty much my point.

I didn't like a declarative statement being made and accepted as the fact of the situation... when the truth is that we don't know yet.

We haven't seen Fortune yet. We've seen an injury- and disciplinary-plagued freshman season from Dom. We've seen 1 benchwarmer from King 2 years ago. We've seen a freshman season from Fletch that ended in injury while on an upward trajectory and then a sophomore year that took most of the year before he started looking confident in the knee again. We've seen flashes with Tory and improvement, but have no idea what his ceiling is yet. We know nothing about Zili and Guz and White. We know nothing about Brown and Peters. And we had 2 developing guys transfer out.

So I've been shaking my head and wondering what you guys who are judging the recent recruiting as a failure know that I don't? Because from what I know, it's too early to call it anything good or bad other than to say that no one we've seen as been an instant-impact star for the team.

So I've been shaking my head and wondering what you guys who are judging the recent recruiting as a failure know that I don't? Because from what I know, it's too early to call it anything good or bad other than to say that no one we've seen as been an instant-impact star for the team.

The appeared failure in CU's basketball recruiting is not being able to land Nationally recognized talent on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. While other Pac-12 schools load up on 4* and 5* players, we end up searching for diamonds in the rough per say. It's worked in the past with great success, ala Burks, Roberson, Booker, Dinwiddie, etc... We've made it to the dance with 2* and 3* players, littered in with a couple of 4* players. But to get to that next step, and not to say it's impossible, but it'll be a lot easier getting to that Final Four level with upper echelon recruits.

I'm a huge fan of Tad, they can recognize talent, and they can coach overlooked players into making it to the dance, but when is CU going to pull in a phenom or two to push us into the championship mix. Maybe I'm aiming too high.

somebody finally got the memo

I didn't like a declarative statement being made and accepted as the fact of the situation... when the truth is that we don't know yet.

Obviously we don't know how things will turn out but I think you have to admit that what we do know right now is not encouraging.

Will King, Collier, Miller, and Fletcher improve? Probably, but I wouldn't count on that improvement being to the point where they're difference makers. There are plenty of players with whom what you get in the first part of their careers is more or less the same that you get in the latter part. We all were expecting marked improvement from last years soph class and that never happened.

Regarding recruiting, the past two seasons there have been 30, again that's 30 top-100 (Rivals) players who ended up at Pac-12 schools. Not a single one of those players is coming to CU. This would be expected in football but not basketball considering that we've actually had some success the past several years and the rest of the conference as a whole is pretty mediocre.

It's also troublesome when a blue-chip local recruit who you've been pursuing for years suddenly decides he'd rather go to Starkville, Miss and play for one of the worst power conference schools in the country.

Meanwhile based on recruiting info and practice feedback with a slight exception for Peters there doesn't seem to be a lot to be excited about our recent recruits. Unless of course the fact that Tad's compliment for Akyazili that he's a "gym rat" or that Guzonjic is "tough" wets your appetite.

On the plus side it sounds like the two transfers we've added are the real deal, maybe we should be utilizing that avenue more?

I think we'll be ok (although unspectacular) this year and next but if/when the rest of the conference begins to pull away from us in the next few seasons no one should be surprised.

Obviously we don't know how things will turn out but I think you have to admit that what we do know right now is not encouraging.

Will King, Collier, Miller, and Fletcher improve? Probably, but I wouldn't count on that improvement being to the point where they're difference makers. There are plenty of players with whom what you get in the first part of their careers is more or less the same that you get in the latter part. We all were expecting marked improvement from last years soph class and that never happened.

Regarding recruiting, the past two seasons there have been 30, again that's 30 top-100 (Rivals) players who ended up at Pac-12 schools. Not a single one of those players is coming to CU. This would be expected in football but not basketball considering that we've actually had some success the past several years and the rest of the conference as a whole is pretty mediocre.

It's also troublesome when a local recruit who you've been pursuing for years suddenly decides he'd rather go to Starkville, Miss and play for one of the worst power conference schools in the country.

Meanwhile based on recruiting info and practice feedback with a slight exception for Peters there doesn't seem to be a lot to be excited about our recent recruits. Unless of course the fact that Tad's compliment for Akyazili that he's a "gym rat" or that Guzonjic is "tough" wets your appetite.

On the plus side it sounds like the two transfers we've added are the real deal, maybe we should be utilizing that avenue more?

I think we'll be ok (although unspectacular) this year and next but if/when the rest of the conference begins to pull away from us in the next few seasons no one should be surprised.
Re bolded: need a bigger laugh emoticon.

I am so excited about this season. We are going to make the ncaa. stop being so negative. Tad is the man. Do you understand how much went wrong last year?

That's pretty much my point.

We haven't seen Fortune yet. We've seen an injury- and disciplinary-plagued freshman season from Dom. We've seen 1 benchwarmer from King 2 years ago. We've seen a freshman season from Fletch that ended in injury while on an upward trajectory and then a sophomore year that took most of the year before he started looking confident in the knee again. We've seen flashes with Tory and improvement, but have no idea what his ceiling is yet. We know nothing about Zili and Guz and White. We know nothing about Brown and Peters. And we had 2 developing guys transfer out.

That's all fair, and I'm actually excited about Brown and Peters a LITTLE. Can't say I was every truly excited about Satterwhite pre-injury. But really, what do I, or anyone here (unless one of you truly is an insider and follows HS hoops religiously/full-time job) know compared to Tad and his staff?

My worries with recent recruiting is that our initial targets have not committed. It speaks volumes in my opinion when Tad sees a player and is comfortable enough with what he's seen pre-senior-year to offer him a scholarship, and make him a top target on the recruiting trail. The two freshmen this year hopefully prove Tad to be a great talent scout, but I'm holding off excitement until I see something. This is completely different to seeing a top guy get a CU offer, see him flirt with CU back, Tad and Co show him love and make fans want to give him love, and then him committing. Of course there will be many exceptions, but more often than not, it also seems that early offers' tapes are more impressive as well. I'm not looking for 5-stars, or even care about 4-stars (although both would definitely be very nice and appreciated), but I am hoping for Tad to land his initial and top targets...that's what's really frustrating and annoying to me.

It's also troublesome when a blue-chip local recruit who you've been pursuing for years suddenly decides he'd rather go to Starkville, Miss and play for one of the worst power conference schools in the country.

I may agree with the ultimate point of this post, but not particulars. I'm not going to look it up, and honestly don't care if he was slightly outside the top 100 on Rivals, but Collier was a great get. Miller was also a solid pickup, and while he didn't make any top 100 lists, I would guess he was top 150/200. I think that's fine, and I do think they can be difference makers for our team - may not turn out to be NBA 1st rounders...but still can be difference makers.

If you're referring to Davis, people don't know where he's going. I still hold out hope that Davis is leaning towards IU, then quickly realizes the coach there sucks and will not be around too long, Bloomington sucks, and Indiana sucks...and decides to stay home. Aside from Crean and Bloomington though, IU is still a top ten historic program, and the fan base is as devout as any. Miss St is sort of a head scratcher, but Howland did get Malik Newman last year (granted, he is a legacy). Howland also isn't an unknown, and while the end at UCLA was terrible...he's not a complete pushover. Yes, disappointing, but let's give Tad and staff some slack.

You know what's shocking?

Ben Howland went from Pitt (adidas school) to UCLA (adidas school) to Miss State (adidas school).

And in a weird coincidence, Davis is looking at Miss State along with Indiana (adidas school).

Good that shoe company affiliations don't influence coaching hires and recruiting in college basketball.

Here's how I see it.

non-conf schedule has three opportunities for wins over probable tourney teams: ISU, Hampton, SMU.
I'm counting ISU as a loss, assume we beat Hampton in Boulder and lose to SMU in LV.
rest of the non-conf slate we need to clean up. If we stumble @Auburn and @CSU, we'll be in tough shape w/r/t NCAA hopes heading into conference play. But I don't like traveling to Auburn for game 2 with this team just learning how to play together. I'm also concerned about CSU because I believe the Buffs will sweep the home non-conf home schedule and be "due for a loss" when they head to FoCo.

hokiehead prediction: Buffs go 9-4 in non-conf play.

Pac12 schedule is tough as usual. I count 8 out of 18 games against tourney teams (Utah x2, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon x2, OSU-West x2). Assume we go 9 - 9, sweeping the home schedule and dumping the road schedule. Based on what I know today, that's a reasonable prediction.

hokiehead prediction: 18-13 overall, with mediocre SOS, probably finishing middle of the Pac (pun intended) ==> NIT

now, surprise me Buffs!
I like my crow served medium well, on a bed of wild brown rice.

I think we'll be dancing. Other than Arizona and Cal there are no real powerhouses in the P12. I think the conference is lined up for the Buffs to come in 4th. I have a hunch this buffs team will be very good defensively and will play in several close games. I think this is one of those rare years we knock off Arizona at Coors. Finding an identity on offense will be our ticket.

Keys for success I think are:
- Finding a way to play inside out in the half court.
- Pushing the pace after rebounds and trying to get more fast break points.
- Assertiveness of Wes Gordon on the offensive end.
- Good and consistent PG play from Dom and XT.
- Fortune and King's ability to create offense and knock down open 3's.

Take care of Business against Cal on Sunday and a top four finish is looking very real.

Expectations should always be the tourney under Tad. We won't always make it, but there should be an expectation.

I'm glad he goes after blue chippers. You can't land any of you never try. Now we just need to close. I think Tad can be given the benefit of a doubt about who he signs, exceptions exist though.

Now the fans better get THEIR **** together and show up.

Back