What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Summer 2017- updates on Track and Field Buffs - Emma Coburn World Champ!

Even knowing the results I got chills. I'll tell ya what, not one of the Africans congratulated the Americans. Poor sports! They were in total shock.

The hallmark of a Wetmore / Burrows runner is that final, deadly kick.

Whether it is Dani Jones in the NCAA indoor championship distance medley or Jenny Simpson at NCAA XC championships or Emma Coburn at these World Championships, the story is similar. Buffs just lurk at the back of the lead pack like stone cold assassins. The lead rabbits become prey on that last stretch or that last lap. Out of no where, the hammer drops. The rabbit blows up. And the Wetmore / Burrows angels find that extra gear and deliver an exciting holy **** invoking kick to break the tape.

It's uncanny how CU runner after runner peaks at the right time to bag the big trophy when it counts the most.

There's always money in the banana stand. Love it!

The hallmark of a Wetmore / Burrows runner is that final, deadly kick.

Whether it is Dani Jones in the NCAA indoor championship distance medley or Jenny Simpson at NCAA XC championships or Emma Coburn at these World Championships, the story is similar. Buffs just lurk at the back of the lead pack like stone cold assassins. The lead rabbits become prey on that last stretch or that last lap. Out of no where, the hammer drops. The rabbit blows up. And the Wetmore / Burrows angels find that extra gear and deliver an exciting holy **** invoking kick to break the tape.

It's uncanny how CU runner after runner peaks at the right time to bag the big trophy when it counts the most.

There's always money in the banana stand. Love it!
The leader pretty much never wins in distances greater than 800m. That person just cuts the air for the pack behind them. Horse racing is similar.

Doesn't look like Emma sees the Gold Medal at Worlds as a culmination. She's driven. Can't wait to see what she accomplishes next.

Just wanted to mention Emma Coburn will be racing in the Diamond League finals for the 3K steeplechase being held in Zurich tomorrow (Thursday). Looks like her race is scheduled to start at 12:31 PM MT. The meet is being televised on NBCSP, with overall coverage starting noon MT.

Note- In prior years, the overall Diamond League winner was crowned based on points accumulated throughout the season in the various races/ events. However, this year, it's a winner take all format, with all the prize money distributed based on how runners do in the final. Therefore, Ms. Coburn, although only in 9th in points right now (due mainly to only racing in 2 of 4 possible qualifying races) is still in the running for the steeplechase Diamond League Championship, which comes with a $50K prize. (the 1st 8 finishers get some kind of prize, $20K for 2nd, etc.- See https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/32-million-prize-money-2017-iaaf-diamond-leag for the possible awards.)

Meet Schedule/ results - https://zurich.diamondleague.com/en...pings/schedule#ScheduleInit#CURRENTEVENT_JSON

Last edited:
Ms. Coburn with a nice kick late to get 4th, but a ho hum race overall by her standard (of course- FAR faster pace than I could have EVER run an 800M in withOUT barriers) as she runs ~9:14, or ~12 seconds slower than her championship time. (Seems like both her and Jenny Simpson were on a well-deserved post-World Championships high, as neither have had the greatest races since those Championships.)

Believe the major end to both Buff greats' seasons will be in a couple weeks (Sept 10th) at the 5th Avenue Street mile in New York City. Although Ms. Coburn may have lesser expectations (she's not considered an elite mile/ 1500M runner), assume this will get Ms. Simpson's blood pumping, as it's a race she's been dominant in, having won 5 in the last 6 times.
(For anyone in the NYC area, always looked to me like a fun race to go to- more info at http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2017/new-balance-5th-avenue-mile .)

Just wanted to mention I was off in my earlier post (#72), as Jenny Simpson does have another BIG race- namely TODAY's Diamond League final for the 1500M in Brussels. Best wishes to her!
(I thought the story line after the last Diamond League 1500M qualifying race a few weeks ago (where she finished 7th) was Ms. Simpson didn't earn enough points to qualify for today's final (she had only raced in 2 out of 4 Diamond League races this year), but assume there must have been enough scratches for her to make it to today's final. See my post #70 above for more info on the Diamond League format. The reason Ms. Simpson is racing today vs. Ms. Coburn last week is the Diamond League finals is broken out by event into 2 meets.)

The Brussels meet is being televised on the (NBC?) Olympic Channel, with coverage starting at noon MT. Looks like the Women's 1500M is scheduled to start 1:23 PM MT.

Schedule/ results - https://brussels.diamondleague.com/...pings/schedule#ScheduleInit#CURRENTEVENT_JSON

Last edited:
Back