What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle Era: Looking back and ahead (long)

What I am really looking forward to next year is solid contributions from the bench. Having a deep bench with real threats is huge in college. If your second team can dominate their second team, it really puts opposing teams in a bind. Keep the starters out there longer and wear them out? It is the situation that the Buffs seem to find themselves in too often this year.

yup and hopefully we can go harder at home. Have the starters play 30 minutes a game instead of 35 or 38 and push the temp on offense and defense.

Tad's got 200 minutes to give out every game. It would be such an advantage if he could give 10+ to 10 guys even in the close games.

Tad's got 200 minutes to give out every game. It would be such an advantage if he could give 10+ to 10 guys even in the close games.

I'd love to see Dinwiddie lead the team in minutes played at about 28 per game next year.

Both Dinwiddie and Roberson should go to the draft combines, and work outs to get familiar with the process. Will be a great chance for them to get feedback from NBA execs and go up against other top college players. If they don't get a promise that they like, then they can always come back and they will at least be familiar with the process next year.

Roberson probably leaves with any kind of first round promise. Dinwiddie, I would think, would want a promise in the top half of the first round. Not sure if leaving early is worth it if he's going in the late first. Course, easy for me to say that. If he got an injury his junior year that negatively impacted his stock, would obviously regret not going out in the first round while he had the chance.

I've been wondering if The Mayor is entertaining thoughts of leaving after this year. He's in a different situation than 'Dre, tho, since a player can "test the waters" only once.

I've been wondering if The Mayor is entertaining thoughts of leaving after this year. He's in a different situation than 'Dre, tho, since a player can "test the waters" only once.

after the mayor's performance the last handful of games... they are touting as currently the best guard in the PAC12.... he just may go...unfortunately for CU

after the mayor's performance the last handful of games... they are touting as currently the best guard in the PAC12.... he just may go...unfortunately for CU
He could be slated to make much more money by sticking around for one more year

Mayor chose us over Harvard. Mom's a Ph.D.

He's not leaving while this far from his degree to start living the NBA life before he even turns 21.

Yea he will stay. I think the Mayor will see, although different situation, that Alec could've used another year to progress his game a bit. Next year is real exciting.

Alec also had the advantage of the lockout happening when he thought about leaving. A lot of the upper echelon of talent stayed in college a year to avoid the lockout, this left a lot of the high draft picks available for Burks. Spencer won't have that same situation.

I haven't seen Spencer in any 2013 mock draft's has anyone seen any that put him in the 1st round?

i think we got jobbed a bit in Tad year one as per the NCAA, but i'm a homer. truth is that team wins at Iowa State or Norman (very bad OU team)...and we are in. no one to blame but us for bad loss at ISU in the last week of the season. we can't get a stop to save our lives against a dreadful ISU team. we got KSU three times, once a bit lucky. ATM kid hits a helluva shot on our floor, so we get a bit unlucky there. we D him right, he just flat makes the shot.

we make a nice NIT run....and we all liked that. Wichita State was the best team left out. they proved it.

Last edited:
Mayor chose us over Harvard. Mom's a Ph.D.

He's not leaving while this far from his degree to start living the NBA life before he even turns 21.

while i would agree w/ you if we were debating this a week ago... but his play the last handful of games is unREAL... and now i'm on the fence... but i do know this... if he continues to play like this the next 4 weeks, and is projected to go mid 1st round or better....we will not see Dinwiddie on campus next year except as a fan at one of the football or basketball games

i think we got jobbed a bit in Tad year one as per the NCAA, but i'm a homer. truth is that team wins at Iowa State or Norman (very bad OU team)...and we are in. no one to blame but us for bad loss at ISU in the last week of the season. we can't get a stop to save our lives against a dreadful ISU team. we got KSU three times, once a bit lucky. ATM kid hits a helluva shot on our floor, so we get a bit unlucky there. we D him right, he just flat makes the shot.

we make a nice NIT run....and we all liked that. Wichita State was the best team left out. they proved it.

We were jobbed extremely badly in 2011, we had 6 top 50 wins. That was a team that deserved to be in based on numerous extreme questionables that got in instead. Only Virginia Tech in 2010 can argue they had a more legitimate recent gripe than we had, IMO. I get the weak OOC, but this was a team that finished 5th in a very strong Big XII went 3-0 against Kansas State -- a team awarded a 5 seed. Beat then 2nd ranked Texas late in the season, and also defeated Missouri. Went to the Semifinals of the Big XII tournament, beating Iowa State and thus resurrecting a narrow loss in Ames by going to 2-1 against the Cyclones on the season, and then the aforementioned 87-75 win over KSU to improve to 3-0 against them, before playing Kansas in a highly competitive game that eventually saw the Jayhawks win 90-83.

I'm just never going to be convinced that a 19-15 USC deserved to get in over CU, nor a 20-14 Marquette team that finished tied for 9th in the Big East, nor a 21-11 Clemson team with ZERO top 50 wins, nor a 22-9 UAB with ZERO top 50 wins, nor a 19-14 Penn State, nor a 19-14 Michigan State that was let in based on their name. Let's also remember VCU was a 23-11 team that finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association - yes, fantastic run, I know. But I'm not sure I'll ever buy that 4th in the CAA is more deserving of that chance than 5th in the Big XII. This is before even mentioning 19-14 Tennessee, 21-11 Georiga who beat us - the Committee picks and chooses when that matters, along with RPI.

Let's recall what ESPN.com said at the time
Are you guys kidding? You put UAB and Clemson in the bracket. Guess how many top-50 wins those teams have combined? Do you know? The answer is zero. Guess how many Colorado has? Six. The Buffaloes beat Kansas State three times and beat Texas once. No, the nonconference schedule wasn't pretty. No, the losses at San Francisco, Oklahoma and Iowa State didn't help Colorado. But when you're looking for a team that can be competitive in the NCAA tournament, wouldn't you prefer one whose best wins came against the best teams in its own conference both in the regular season and in the conference tournament? What about UAB's awful résumé makes you think the Blazers belong more than us? It can't be the eye test. It can't be the wins. It has to be RPI, and if it's RPI, that's not good enough. We all promised ourselves there would be no outrage this year, and you somehow pulled it off. Frankly, we're not even mad. We're sort of impressed. And deeply, deeply confused

Last edited:
Watching last night's game, the thing that struck me most with Jelly out was our lack of scoring depth. Adams and Chen stepped up, but losing a scoring threat hurt much more than losing the size. That shouldn't be the case next year. Jenkins, Thomas, Fletcher and Hopkins all have the ability to provide some offensive punch and balance the lineup. We'll really see the full benefits of Tad's recruiting efforts next season.

That shouldn't be the case next year. Jenkins, Thomas, Fletcher and Hopkins all have the ability to provide some offensive punch and balance the lineup. We'll really see the full benefits of Tad's recruiting efforts next season.

Be interesting to see how the newcomers affect ski's role and the length of leash he gets from Boyle. If Fletcher proves he can handle the load defensively, is he the most likely candidate to see some minutes at the #2? I'm thinking here in terms of a shooter that can loosen up the floor against teams like Utah. Or is Hopkins shooting ability good enough that he could fill that role? (And I know with J-Hop we get a lot of other important things like athleticism, driving ability, etc.).

Or will Adams get those minutes, assuming he puts together a few more games like last night?

Be interesting to see how the newcomers affect ski's role and the length of leash he gets from Boyle. If Fletcher proves he can handle the load defensively, is he the most likely candidate to see some minutes at the #2? I'm thinking here in terms of a shooter that can loosen up the floor against teams like Utah. Or is Hopkins shooting ability good enough that he could fill that role? (And I know with J-Hop we get a lot of other important things like athleticism, driving ability, etc.).

Or will Adams get those minutes, assuming he puts together a few more games like last night?

I think it will be dependent on defense and Tad will probably mix and match based on situation too. I could see Hopkins, Fletcher and Jenkins all spending time there next year.

Regarding minutes for different players, Tad has said that the bottom line as a coach is that once the season starts the only power he has to punish or reward players for their effort is game minutes. That only holds true, though, if there is a viable option to give someone's minutes to. Next year, Tad will have lots of viable options and everyone will have to earn every second of court time he gets.

I was looking at past recruiting rankings today, and the overall increase in talent on the team is amazing. I only took the time to look at last year's team, this year's, and next, but it's pretty incredible to see the growth.

2011-12: We had one player who had a 4* rating on any of the services (Scout gave Dufault 4*'s in 2008). The only top 150 player we had was Dinwiddie, who checked in at #146 on the 2011 Rivals rankings. Beyond that, we had a handful of 3*'s, but the majority of the team was unrated by at least one site.

2012-13: The 2012 class was big, and there was definitely more talent on this squad. We had 2 4*'s (3 if you count the redshirt Gordon, who Scout gave 4*'s) and 3 top 150 players (Gordon would have likely made 4, though Scout doesn't give out rankings after #100). Virtually everyone was rated coming in, with Mills as the only one not rated higher than a 2* by at least one of the sites.

2013-14: How much more talent will we have next year? Well, assuming SHT, Chen and Dre leave, we'll be looking at 6 4*'s and 6 guys (7 with Gordon) who were rated in the top 150. Essentially, the 2013 team will have as many 4*'s as the 2011 team had 3*'s. That's a HUGE difference over 2 years!

Oh, and depending on early entries, I'd expect 8-9 4*'s on the 2014-15 squad. The talent is (or will be) there to compete with anyone, not only in our conference, but nationally. I really think Buffs basketball will explode onto the national scene next season.

In short, Roll Tad!!!!

Next up: 5 star talent

I fully expect to see Tad in on some 5* talent very soon but at the same time I think that Tad isn't in love with the rankings, he is more concerned about getting guys who fit what he wants to do. I can very easily see Tad passing up a 5* guy for a 4* guy who he thinks is a better match for what he wants to do.

That said the difference between a high 4* and a typical 5* isn't much and I do see Tad having a very good eye for talent. As we learned in football with Hawkins if one guy thinks a kid is a top talent and everyone else thinks he isn't, more often than not the one guy is wrong. It won't be long till we see the ratings services giving kids a second look and a boost based on Tad paying attention to them and also seeing other schools going after kids because Tad is on to them. (Something that never seemed to happen with Hawk)

The other thing Tad is doing is eliminating class gaps. That's very hard to do in basketball, but he's pulling it off. Every year, the guys coming in are better than the guys going out. So long as Tad Boyle stays at CU, the basketball program will be very, very good. Great, even. He's building something incredible here.

Just for fun, a comparison of scout and rivals from 2002 to present:

(Patton)
2002Chris CopelandGlean EddyLamar HarrisAntoine McGeeJayson Obazuaye
scout3NR333
rivalsNRNR3NRN4
2003Marcus HallKeith SmithRashaun Bryant
scout323
rivals3NRNR
2004Julius AshbyMartane Freeman Marcus King-StocktonRichard RobyLamont Arrington
scout22232
rivalsNR3NRNRNR
2005Dominique ColemanCalvin WilliamsRyan Dermody
scoutNR33
rivalsNRNR3
2006Kalvin BayDaniel BrownJames IngeSean KowalXavier SilasDwight ThorneMarc Van BurckJeremy Williams
Dale VanWright
scout3NR2333NR33
rivals3NRNR233NR3NR
(Buzz)
2007Cory HigginsLevi KnutsonCaleb Patterson
scout232
rivals333
2008Austin DufaultTrey EckloffRyan KelleyNate TomlinsonToby Veal
scout43233
rivals33233
2009Alec BurksShane Harris-TunksKeegan HornbuckleMarcus RelphordeShannon Sharpe
scout3222NR
rivals32333
(Boyle)
2010Ben MillsAndre Roberson
scout2NR
rivalsNR3
2011Jeremy AdamsAskia BookerDamiene CainSpencer Dinwiddie
scoutNR223
rivals3333
2012Wesley GordonChris JenkinsXavier JohnsonJosh ScottEli StalzerXavier Talton
scout434423
rivals334433
2013Tre'shaun FletcherJaron HopkinsDustin Thomas
scout43NR
rivals343

Wow lots of work there. Can't believe Higgins was a 2/3 and Burks a 3/3. I guess you can't get it right every time. It is obvious our roster is getting more talented every year.

Back