What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

Looks like he's got the program to where he has class balance finally. Only issue, as I've been trying to tell @Goose (but he's hard headed and refuses to listen) is that we can avoid what you're talking about if Tad would build depth at PG by recruiting one every year.

fox tv GIF by Bob's Burgers's Burgers

Are You Sure Carlos Mencia GIF

Looks like he's got the program to where he has class balance finally. Only issue, as I've been trying to tell @Goose (but he's hard headed and refuses to listen) is that we can avoid what you're talking about if Tad would build depth at PG by recruiting one every year.

I have to agree, curious what everyone's thoughts on how Tad was able to up his recruiting game. Generally it seems that it has continued to get better every year since he has been here (someone may correct me with data there). Seems that most coaches come in and make a splash in the first couple of years of recruiting then it tapers off, or the recruiting surges can be tied to something (S16 run based on luck, etc).

Granted all the talent that comes in Tad has proven, none of that matters, you gotta put in the work to see the court. Argue all you want, I am happy to see that.

I'm glad that someone, anyone, will finally start talking about this issue. I know that I have been saying it for years, but it's felt like I've been screaming into the dark void. Hats off to you, good sir, a true basketball savant.

Tad benefitted greatly from the foundation that Bzdelik laid. Tad didn’t have to turn over the roster when he showed up. He also benefitted from a very hoops friendly AD. All of that stuff could have been in place and it wouldn’t have mattered if Tad wasn’t a very gifted basketball coach. All that is to say you need that stuff to have sustained success, but the coach has to take it the last mile. Tad has taken it the last mile and then built on it.

Tad benefitted greatly from the foundation that Bzdelik laid. Tad didn’t have to turn over the roster when he showed up. He also benefitted from a very hoops friendly AD. All of that stuff could have been in place and it wouldn’t have mattered if Tad wasn’t a very gifted basketball coach. All that is to say you need that stuff to have sustained success, but the coach has to take it the last mile. Tad has taken it the last mile and then built on it.
Taking a team that was 15-16 the year before and having them go 24-14 in your first year, and landing Andre Roberson, Carlon Brown, Spencer Dinwiddie, Askia Booker, Josh Scott, and XJ in your first three classes while developing Austin Default and Levi Knutson to their best versions of themself. Yes Tad inherited Alec and Cory but he did everything else.

Last edited:
Taking a team that was 15-16 the year before and having them go 24-14 in your first year, and landing Andre Roberson, Carlon Brown, Spencer Dinwiddie, Askia Booker, Josh Scott, and XJ in your first three classes while developing Austin Default and Levi Knutson to their best versions of themself. Yes Tad inherited Alec and Corey but he did everything else.
Truth. Not like Bzdelik showed after he left that he's a good HC.

I don’t think my point is getting across. Bzdelik had to do the work of turning over the roster in the wake of the Patton lame duck year. Tad benefitted from having two NBA caliber players on the roster when he walked through the door. That doesn’t diminish in any way what he did once he got here. He still had to do something with those guys. And he had to re-recruit Burks, who was rumored to be looking to transfer after Bzdelik left.
Put in football terms, Bzdelik was a bit like Tucker. He came in, improved the roster, and left the program in better shape than he left it so the next guy could succeed. Problem is, the guy we hired after Tucker was a disaster. The guy we hired after Bzdelik was incredible. Amazing how that works.

I don’t think my point is getting across. Bzdelik had to do the work of turning over the roster in the wake of the Patton lame duck year. Tad benefitted from having two NBA caliber players on the roster when he walked through the door. That doesn’t diminish in any way what he did once he got here. He still had to do something with those guys. And he had to re-recruit Burks, who was rumored to be looking to transfer after Bzdelik left.
Put in football terms, Bzdelik was a bit like Tucker. He came in, improved the roster, and left the program in better shape than he left it so the next guy could succeed. Problem is, the guy we hired after Tucker was a disaster. The guy we hired after Bzdelik was incredible. Amazing how that works.
What’s the point of the point you’re trying to make? This is a thread to celebrate Tad and the amazing job he’s done here and you’re trying to say, “Yeah well Bzdelik did some good things before Tad got here that helped him, so Tad’s job wasn’t as hard as it could have been.” Uh, ok I guess, but what the **** does that matter and why did you feel the need to post it? Tad’s accomplishments are all him and the players.

“Saban is good, but it was made easier for him because of the massive financial support the university and boosters gave him to recruit the players and coaches he needed to win all them games. He wouldn’t have won as much without that!”

Oh no question. He had that in Greeley, but that program was the cash cow for their AD.

@Goose so the importance of that PG thingy moving forward starting with this upcoming recruiting class.......

In this article in The Athletic Tad is put in Tier 4 of the D1 head coaches.
What a garbage article.

They spend 2 paragraphs discussing Andy Enfeld in tier 4. They put Andy Enfeld in Tier 3. They talk about how Boise State's coach deserves more consideration for doing what he's doing with few resources, but Tad consistently has the lowest recruiting budget of any Pac12 team and very little institutional support.

It’s time to move on. The switch to a new conference offers a good situation to make a move in the offseason. Cody is gone.m, if we don’t make the tourney I see KJ leaving and Lampkin and Hadley are 50/50 to utilize their Covid year.

It’s time to move on. The switch to a new conference offers a good situation to make a move in the offseason. Cody is gone.m, if we don’t make the tourney I see KJ leaving and Lampkin and Hadley are 50/50 to utilize their Covid year.
Tad isn't getting fired. Period. I see him retiring however, and frankly, we need new blood going into the Big XII.

We're going to need transfers for next year's roster. Tad would bring back Hadley and Lampkin. IMO, we're in a very bad way if that's our two best returning players going into the Big XII.

I'd honestly rather lose KJ, Cody, TDS, LOB, Hadley, and Lampkin and run with the super young roster next year and experience growing pains than run Hadley and Lampkin back out there.

A new coach would hopefully look to bring in a starting PG and a starting wing.

Really? One loss at home this season and the critics come out?

We keep Tad as long as he wants to coach.
Missing the tournament with KJ, TDS, and CW plus the recent years trend isn't acceptable.

Going to get our asses kicked in the Big 12 next year.

As a casual hoops fan and lurker of the game threads, isn’t there a middle ground on Tad? Isn’t it reasonable to say that he’s the best CU coach in history, but also that it might be time to move on?

It feels like anyone wanting to keep Tad as long as he wants to be here, has no real desire for this program to be excellent. Maybe that’s perfectly acceptable for some people, including the CUAD, but I don’t blame others for wanting more than the NIT.

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or another, but if the football program ever gets to a point where it’s winning 6-7 games a year but only gets to 8+ once every 5-6 years, I will want a new coach brought in.

As a casual hoops fan and lurker of the game threads, isn’t there a middle ground on Tad? Isn’t it reasonable to say that he’s the best CU coach in history, but also that it might be time to move on?

It feels like anyone wanting to keep Tad as long as he wants to be here, has no real desire for this program to be excellent. Maybe that’s perfectly acceptable for some people, including the CUAD, but I don’t blame others for wanting more than the NIT.

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or another, but if the football program ever gets to a point where it’s winning 6-7 games a year but only gets to 8+ once every 5-6 years, I will want a new coach brought in.
I don’t think the shortcomings are on Tad.

I don’t think the shortcomings are on Tad.
There are 3 dozen attainable coaches out there right now that have this team at 19-5 or better right now. One of them is 40 miles up the road. Looking back, last year was an abject failure and this year is looking like it could come unraveled.

Last edited:
Jesus titty****ing Christ.

There are some REALLY short memories around here, and also a willful ignorance towards the circumstances.

Perhaps everyone forgot the Bzdelik era, when Bz parlayed 3 consecutive last place finishes into a different P5 HC job at a program with much more historic success. That’s how difficult this job is perceived to be.

Or perhaps everyone forgot what it was like in the Ricardo Patton era, when the Buffs made the tournament twice in 11 years (Tad has made it more and more frequently).

And it certainly seems that everyone wants to overlook the glaring lack of institutional support- CU has historically had one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the conference, gets minimal advertisement and marketing from the AD, etc.

It’s absurd that the same folks who have been crowing for weeks that “Arizona was a bad matchup for this team; CU isn’t going to win that game” are also the same folks who are acting like this is a shocking outcome over which Tad should be fired. What’s also absurd is that this season’s story isn’t fully written yet.

If y’all got your wish and Tad got fired or retired tomorrow, you arent getting calipari, or Pitino, or any other big time coach. You’ll get some small school guy that might work out (like Payne has) but probably won’t (like pretty much every other post-Ceal Berry WBB coach). Guaranteed.

Well stated. On one hand Tad's teams have made the tournament 5 out of 11 seasons (6 out of 12 if you count the Covid season), which is great by CU's historical standards. I'm sure most on here, myself included, would be more than content with a 50% tournament ratio. But the other side of the argument is after making the tournament 4 of his first 5 seasons it's only been 2 of the last 7 and that's if you count the Covid year. And only 2 NCAA wins including some pretty bad losses.

It sure would be nice to see the AD raise the expectations for basketball.

There are some REALLY short memories around here, and also a willful ignorance towards the circumstances.

Perhaps everyone forgot the Bzdelik era, when Bz parlayed 3 consecutive last place finishes into a different P5 HC job at a program with much more historic success. That’s how difficult this job is perceived to be.

Or perhaps everyone forgot what it was like in the Ricardo Patton era, when the Buffs made the tournament twice in 11 years (Tad has made it more and more frequently).

And it certainly seems that everyone wants to overlook the glaring lack of institutional support- CU has historically had one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the conference, gets minimal advertisement and marketing from the AD, etc.

It’s absurd that the same folks who have been crowing for weeks that “Arizona was a bad matchup for this team; CU isn’t going to win that game” are also the same folks who are acting like this is a shocking outcome over which Tad should be fired. What’s also absurd is that this season’s story isn’t fully written yet.

If y’all got your wish and Tad got fired or retired tomorrow, you arent getting calipari, or Pitino, or any other big time coach. You’ll get some small school guy that might work out (like Payne has) but probably won’t (like pretty much every other post-Ceal Berry WBB coach). Guaranteed.
I think you’re 100% right but that doesn’t really change anything. What do Bzdelik and Patton eras have to do with right now besides reminding folks that this is a historically irrelevant program? Tad has been the coach for a decade and a half and has made it respectable, but nothing more. Why shouldn’t CU fans want more at this point?

No one's disparaging the great things Tad's done here. He's the best coach we've ever had. That said, there are *****s in the armor for sure - starting last year. AZ kicked our a$$ last night. They are a better team, but not by that much...and at home. We looked uninspired and ill prepared and it's happened multiple times this year. We looked the same way against ASU but they are not a good team, so we found a way. The test of this team, and most importantly Tad, is how we play/finish down the stretch. This team has to at least split each of the final two road series and win the final 3 at home. Then win one in the Pac12 tourney to get off the bubble. We'll know late Saturday night if this season's over or not because we're not beating UCLA, so it comes down to Tad v. Andy.

Back