What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

I'm going to get flamed for this, but does anyone think CSU is an easier job than this one? Because Niko Medved is probably going to have his team in a 6 or 7 seed position a year after losing his best player in Roddy.
Yes it is.

Roddy left 2 years ago.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but does anyone think CSU is an easier job than this one? Because Niko Medved is probably going to have his team in a 6 or 7 seed position a year after losing his best player in Roddy.

I'm not advocating moving on from Tad per se, but this "no one can ever do any better" stuff whenever people criticize Tad is getting tiresome.

This team should not be missing the tournament this year. They're probably going to. Tad deserves some heat.
CSU plays in the Mountain West. They can recruit a different level of player and still find success.

It's absolutely an easier job.

Your argument is that CU spends appropriately based on its AD resources and that this should translate into more MBB success than programs that spend more while having much richer tradition, a deep MBB booster organization and are located in a much more talent-rich location?

The fact is that Tad's program outperforms what it should objectively be achieving and that, especially this year, he's managed to assemble a team that is talented enough to be in the Top 15 but has underperformed its capabilities so far.
I don’t disagree with some of your statements regarding resources, but it’s a leap in my mind to say we outperform what we should be achieving. We are currently an NIT ceiling team in a weak Pac 12 and will be under .500 in the Big 12. But I still can’t get past the fact that with a low ceiling and apparently very poor resources, good players still come here to get mediocre at best coaching and on court results. Something is not adding up. Can we ever be good? Is there another coach able to build from where Tad had brought us? We are never going to be a perennial top 25 program, or yearly NCAA team. But can’t we get to the NCAA maybe half the time? A third of the time? Maybe even win a game or two and look prepared and well coached when we do play? Someday we will look back on this team and realize we had 2 guys who should have been top 10 NBA picks. How many NCAA teams can say that? How many of them will miss the dance this year?

Just to set the record straight, despite my belief that we can be more successful and my immense disappointment with this seasons results, I’m not anti-Tad or suggesting we should fire him (which we can’t afford to do even if we wanted to). I greatly appreciate what he has done for the program. To me, he’s shown that we can have a decent program despite our resources and history. I’m also thinking ahead to the day he retires, which could be this year. I think we can build up from where we are with the right next hire. Making the right hire is no easy task, but maybe Rick George can go 2 for 2 on BB hires considering his other hire was JR Payne.

I don’t disagree with some of your statements regarding resources, but it’s a leap in my mind to say we outperform what we should be achieving. We are currently an NIT ceiling team in a weak Pac 12 and will be under .500 in the Big 12. But I still can’t get past the fact that with a low ceiling and apparently very poor resources, good players still come here to get mediocre at best coaching and on court results. Something is not adding up. Can we ever be good? Is there another coach able to build from where Tad had brought us? We are never going to be a perennial top 25 program, or yearly NCAA team. But can’t we get to the NCAA maybe half the time? A third of the time? Maybe even win a game or two and look prepared and well coached when we do play? Someday we will look back on this team and realize we had 2 guys who should have been top 10 NBA picks. How many NCAA teams can say that? How many of them will miss the dance this year?
Who is the second top 10 pick?

If you're saying KJ, do you realize how rare it is for a guy his size to go in the top 10?

currently an NIT ceiling team
If this team goes 1-1 in the Pac12 tourney, 3-0 at home and 2-2 in the remaining road games they finish 22-11 with a NET in the 25-35 range and an NCAA seed in the 7-10 range. That, conservatively, may be their ceiling.

Optimistically, the remaining roadies are probably 4 of their 6 easiest matchups this year in the road, and they could win 3 or even all 4 of them, and Tad has a very solid track record in the conference tournament. The ceiling really is more like 24-10, with a #5-#7 seed, and maybe a good matchup or great performance resulting in a sweet 16.

I wouldn't put any money on that optimistic ceiling, but it is the ceiling.

I'm guessing you mean, if the season ended today they'd be in the NIT.

But can’t we get to the NCAA maybe half the time? A third of the time?
Define 1/2 or 1/3.

Tad is 5/12, which, by my math, is exactly halfway between 1/2 and 1/3.

And it really should be 6/13 bc of 2020 getting canceled.

Anyway, I agree with much of your sentiment but the hyperbole you're using as evidence is, well, hyperbolic.

If this team goes 1-1 in the Pac12 tourney, 3-0 at home and 2-2 in the remaining road games they finish 22-11 with a NET in the 25-35 range and an NCAA seed in the 7-10 range. That, conservatively, may be their ceiling.

Optimistically, the remaining roadies are probably 4 of their 6 easiest matchups this year in the road, and they could win 3 or even all 4 of them, and Tad has a very solid track record in the conference tournament. The ceiling really is more like 24-10, with a #5-#7 seed, and maybe a good matchup or great performance resulting in a sweet 16.

Define 1/2 or 1/3.

Anyway, I agree with much of your sentiment but the hyperbole you're using as evidence is, well, hyperbolic.
I mean, making it 4 out of his first 6 seasons was great, but 2 out of the last 10 seasons and 3/11 if they make it this year...

Define 1/2 or 1/3.

The highlighted is delusional. We've got one win on the road this year against a terrible Washington team. Oregon and UCLA are sure losses. USC would like nothing better than to derail us, and we're always in dogfights in Corvallis.

22-12 is probably the ceiling.

I mean, making it 4 out of his first 6 seasons was great, but 2 out of the last 10 seasons and 3/11 if they make it this year...
It's 2/10 if they miss this year, and you count 2020 as a miss.

Right now it's 2 of last 8. Should be 3/9, which equals 1/3.

Worst way to selectively cut it is 1 of last 6, which again is really like 2/7, and could very well be 2/7 (3/8) in short order

That said, I think 1/3 is too low a bar, and we should be frustrated with the lack of NCAA bids.

But can’t we get to the NCAA maybe half the time? A third of the time?
Tad has coached 13 years and made it the tournament 5 times (should have been 6, but COVID).

We are currently an NIT ceiling team in a weak Pac 12 and will be under .500 in the Big 12.
This team can still make the tournament, even if the path is tougher than we would like. The NIT is not the ceiling. The weak PAC 12 works against us because we have less opportunities for Quad 1 wins. Yes, we would likely have a lower winning percentage in the BIG 12. But we also would be very likely to pick up some Quad 1 signature wins at home where we are very tough to beat.

I think Tad is a victim of his own success. He's changed the expectations for the program by having a really high floor team year in, year out. He's also put together a really good team on paper this year but they haven't quite lived up to expectations so far. That is disappointing but college basketball is high variance.

Alfred91:

I'm not advocating moving on from Tad per se, but this "no one can ever do any better" stuff whenever people criticize Tad is getting tiresome.
Tad is not beyond criticism, but I think it's a little more complicated than "no one can ever do better". The right question is what are the odds that the next basketball coach will do better? Given the history of Buffs basketball, the coach that succeeds Boyle will likely not have as much success as he did. That doesn't mean that we couldn't get lucky. But do you really want to push out the best coach CU has had in the last 50 years to roll the dice? I'd rather let Tad play out his final couple years with high floor, high character teams and let him decide it is time to walk away.

Are we about to hit the stage of tell me who would be an upgrade? Then we can all realize that there is no way we will get any of them?

Likely when we hire the next coach, we are looking for a miracle like what we got when hiring a coach like JR (or Tad), difference is the amount of money that is associated with Men's CBB, we are a stepping stone at best, unless the AD miraculously decides to start supporting CBB. JR will likely get the pleasure of debating leaving for the paycheck as well as although I am sure she will get a raise, I doubt they will pay her what others are willing to pay.

The highlighted is delusional. We've got one win on the road this year against a terrible Washington team. Oregon and UCLA are sure losses. USC would like nothing better than to derail us, and we're always in dogfights in Corvallis.

22-12 is probably the ceiling.
1000004552.jpg

NET likes Washington a whole lot more than the L.A. schools.

I still maintain that the very close Cal and ASU losses are fundamentally overdetermining the doom boners around here.

All four roadies are in the realm of winnable, I think a rational expectation would be to win 2 of them, and that 0 or 4 wins is well within the scope of possible.

View attachment 69822

NET likes Washington a whole lot more than the L.A. schools.

I still maintain that the very close Cal and ASU losses are fundamentally overdetermining the doom boners around here.

All four roadies are in the realm of winnable, I think a rational expectation would be to win 2 of them, and that 0 or 4 wins is well within the scope of possible.
I'd be over the moon if we don't step on our dicks and beat USC and Oregon State. The other two aren't winnable in my mind.

thoughts on if the assistant coaching staff this year might be an issue? Rohn has been here for so long and the rest of the coaches feel a bit JAGy to me. no young energy that can relate to the players more

Who is the second top 10 pick?

If you're saying KJ, do you realize how rare it is for a guy his size to go in the top 10?
Yeah, he for sure would not get picked that high, but I think he can be that good once he gets going in the NBA. Hard to predict, but in the right situation I think he can be an above average to all-star level player in the NBA.

On the NCAA frequency, it’s true Tad got in often early on in his tenure but not so much lately. My point is that it’s possible, we should not expect to miss it just because we will someday change coaches. We should be expecting more than it seems some do, it’s really not Tad or nobody.

dude is not gonna leave Providence after one year following being at George Mason for two. maybe in a couple years
I'll take Nate Tomlinson. Kid has high IQ, was a buff, has been with English for a few years, and has Aussie moxie. Plus, we won't have to pay him much. Give me Nate dog. Also, Providence is better than us this year, or at least have the same record as us and didn't lose to Cal (one of the worst teams anyone has seen in a long while).

Last edited:
1) We can't afford Kim's buyout, which, (private school, so it's not public record) would conservatively be at least 7+ mil (probably more like 15), let alone pay him the $5-6 mil per season it would take to hire him. This sets aside any discussion on whether he would even want to return to Boulder, which... runs contrary to what I've heard about his time here.

2) If the backup suggestion is to go with a head coach who has never been the head coach at any level, and throw him to the wolves in the BigXII, that's a 'no' from me, dawg.

1) We can't afford Kim's buyout, which, (private school, so it's not public record) would conservatively be at least 7+ mil (probably more like 15), let alone pay him the $5-6 mil per season it would take to hire him. This sets aside any discussion on whether he would even want to return to Boulder, which... runs contrary to what I've heard about his time here.

2) If the backup suggestion is to go with a head coach who has never been the head coach at any level, and throw him to the wolves in the BigXII, that's a 'no' from me, dawg.
1. It's hard to make an argument that Colorado is a better job than Providence.

2. Rather than hoping an assistant will pan out, I'd be much more interested in hiring a successful mid major coach. Someone like Danny Sprinkle at Utah State would be a great hire, for example.

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

2. Rather than hoping an assistant will pan out, I'd be much more interested in hiring a successful mid major coach. Someone like Danny Sprinkle at Utah State would be a great hire, for example.
I’m all about finding the new wizard.
the wizard nintendo GIF by hero0fwar

I would take: Sprinkle, Steve Alford, Dusty May, Anthony Grant, Thad Matta, Pat Kelsey, and yes...Bryce Drew. All would probably be very open to the position.

I would take: Sprinkle, Steve Alford, Dusty May, Anthony Grant, Thad Matta, Pat Kelsey, and yes...Bryce Drew. All would probably be very open to the position.
Considering May is being discussed for both the Ohio St job and the soon to be available Indiana job, and Grant has seen his name pop up on numerous wishlists for schools like Ohio State I can safely assume you are smoking crack. And that’s before you mentioned Bryce Drew.

You guys have an absolutely insane view of how attractive the CU job is.

Back