What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

Saturday night I was shocked that Cody returned to the game after tweaking his ankle. I figured that was the last we would see of him until the conference tournament. During the second half I saw him calling for a sub many times and Tad made him keep playing. I loved it. I am quick to rip on Tad for his mentally and physically weak teams but I think that was an insight into what has been happening behind closed doors with players sitting out. He is doing Cody a service by teaching him toughness. Other spectators had the exact opposite reaction and I just couldn't believe how soft they are.

If Tad can get this team to continue this run we will be solidly in the tournament. Unfortunately, the best seed we are likely to get is an 8 if all things go right.

I guess this is to say that Tad has his flaws but I'm not jumping on the fire Tad bandwagon until our bubble is popped. I think a first round win in the tournament should be the minimum expectation for this team based on talent and experience. I expected sweet 16 before the season began so I would still be disappointed if we only won one game.
Cody has a ways to go yet. He's just so frail.

If the stars align perfectly for 24/25:
KJ
Williams
Hadley
Lampkin
Transfer 1
Transfer 2
Smith
Diop
Dak
Rancik
Crawford
Kossaras
Onwuchekwa

Anderson - transfers out
Hurlburt - transfers out
Hammond - transfers out
Ruffin - medical retirement

If we're cursed in 24/25:
Hammond
Ruffin
Smith
Diop
Dak
Hurlburt
Anderson
Transfer 1
Transfer 2
Rancik
Crawford
Kossaras
Onwuchekwa
Don't dismiss Anderson without seeing him on the court.

I think that picture comment was more about CU liking participation trophies (assuming Tad is brought back without a tournament bid) than Tad.
Listen to the Drew Goodman story about speaking to Tad about making it to tournaments!
Tad is the all-time everything for CU without ever doing well in the tourney
He spoke about loving his team and everything but a tourney run
That is a participation medal
Happy Monday bitches

I don't know. I think 4BT has many ****tier takes.

Listen to the Drew Goodman story about speaking to Tad about making it to tournaments!
Happy Monday bitches

See?

So everyone here also loves Participation Medals. Resetting expectations and will only post Tad backslaps so as to not be made fun of by the cool kids
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Happy Monday bitches
My dude.

You were born in 1972. That means you are either 51 or 52. In your lifetime:
  • CU has won one conference tournament.
  • CU has won 3 NCAA Tournament games
  • CU has won 11 NIT games
All but 1 of those NCAAT wins and 5 of those NIT wins belong to Tad in 11 seasons. That means that every other CU coach for the other 40 years of your life, combined, has had less postseason tournament success than Tad. Yes, his tournament resume isn't great. I don't think you fully comprehend how tough it is to build a good tournament team at Colorado with little organizational support.

Wrong takes guys
I am 51, the fun seasons that CU has had were great to watch for a round or two. So many great players did well for us fans, but my point was that Tad was in an interview stating that loving your team vs qualifying or winning tournament games is good enough.
The expectations and results fit the program and coach. Yay

Happy Monday bitches

Tad's the coach, dumbf*ck. When he talks to the media, he's usually talking to his team, not to idots like you. He's decided that "you suck and are disappointing" is not the way to motivate this team, so he's approaching them in a different way. Telling them they are good and that their goals are still achievable if they believe in themselves and take each game as it comes.

Will it work? Who knows? But Tad was very hard on KJ his first two seasons, taking the "you suck" path of motivation. It didn't work out that well.

If RG is the AD? Yes.
3/5 or 4/6 (if you include the Covid season) tournament appearances and 7/10 of CU’s 20+ win seasons under Tads watch came while RG was AD.

The basketball program was dog**** before RG got here, and while he didn’t hire Tad, has he really had a negative impact on the program or has he really limited Tad’s ceiling?

Just kind of feels like the Tad stans want to assign all success to Tad and none of the blame, while all the blame to RG and give him zero credit.

Happy Monday bitches
I wouldn't trust anything that Drew Goodman says to be honest.

I remember Harrington, Patton, and Bzdelik. Patton had his moments. Tad has made CU basketball a respectable watch and fits the definition of a participation medal program. Not trying to murder Tad, just quantifying it.

I am old as dirt. I remember Walseth, Bill Blair (I did enjoy his teams), Tom Miller (Bobby Knight proteges) and Tom Apke.

I will take Tad Boyle teams any time. As long as RG is here, CU is not going to put big $$$ in to basketball.

If he wanted to, he could be doing what Mike Bohn did and taking students to the conference tourneys.

Mike Bohn got to fire and hire two different coaches and had zero success prior to his hiring of Tad. Is bringing students to the conference tournament really the benchmark here? What resources did Bohn put into MBB that RG hasn’t? Did the AD spend more on MBB pre 2013 than post 2013?

3/5 or 4/6 (if you include the Covid season) tournament appearances and 7/10 of CU’s 20+ win seasons under Tads watch came while RG was AD.

The basketball program was dog**** before RG got here, and while he didn’t hire Tad, has he really had a negative impact on the program or has he really limited Tad’s ceiling?

Just kind of feels like the Tad stans want to assign all success to Tad and none of the blame, while all the blame to RG and give him zero credit.
To flip this around, what, exactly, should RG get credit for WRT men's basketball?

I am old as dirt. I remember Walseth, Bill Blair (I did enjoy his teams), Tom Miller (Bobby Knight proteges) and Tom Apke.

I will take Tad Boyle teams any time. As long as RG is here, CU is not going to put big $$$ in to basketball.

If he wanted to, he could be doing what Mike Bohn did and taking students to the conference tourneys.

Remember the guy they hired after Miller, who became an insurance executive after getting canned?

Tad's the coach, dumbf*ck. When he talks to the media, he's usually talking to his team, not to idots like you. He's decided that "you suck and are disappointing" is not the way to motivate this team, so he's approaching them in a different way. Telling them they are good and that their goals are still achievable if they believe in themselves and take each game as it comes.

Will it work? Who knows? But Tad was very hard on KJ his first two seasons, taking the "you suck" path of motivation. It didn't work out that well.

Tad does approach things differently. Did you see the post-game clip of Pitino completely ripping his players to the media. The players responded winning 3 straight and now on the bubble. It think it depends on the team and a coach. Pitino has a much better resume than Tad, to fall back on.

To flip this around, what, exactly, should RG get credit for WRT men's basketball?
I’m not arguing the success or failures ride on Rick George. I’ve pointed out budgets and spending and favorably compared that to other programs. I’ve asked what resources RG needs to provide other than a new arena and better student marketing.

People want to point to CU basketball history as reason to defend Tad, but in the same breath blame RG for the program not succeeding enough. How does that reconcile?

Back