What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

If the federal investigation involving AZ continues to make waves, I expect that they will not have that class arrive in full as expected. In fact, at this point with the NCAA sniffing around as well, I expect they will loose at least a couple guys to other programs. One can hope, but this could literally be the end of an era of AZ basketball. I can envision a very real scenario where the entire AZ basketball mystique is completely extinguished. Fingers crossed.
I've given up hope for something like this for AZ after seeing Baylor make it to a bowl game last year.

CU MBB just finished 10-8 in conference play and is one win away from 20 for the season. Two Buffs were also named first team Pac-12.

Does Tad still need to go? LOL!

Depends on the standard for the program. Is the standard decent season in a below average league? Or, is the standard consistent appearances and top 16-32 runs in the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament?

Depends on the standard for the program. Is the standard decent season in a below average league? Or, is the standard consistent appearances and top 16-32 runs in the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament?
I think the standard is decent seasons in a below average league. As much as I'd like tourny runs having consistently good seasons is an improvement for our basketball team from where we were when I was growing up (and I think in the decades before)

I'm thrilled with the turn around.

I don't think Boyle should get a pass from fans or from his own boss for the eleven game streak during which we lost eight earlier in the year.

Next season will tell us a lot. Even if Bey leaves, this team should be in the hunt for the regular season crown. Remember last time we expected great things, when Jelly was a junior? We shat the bed something awful.

Last edited:
CU MBB just finished 10-8 in conference play and is one win away from 20 for the season. Two Buffs were also named first team Pac-12.

Does Tad still need to go? LOL!

I'm happy we managed to salvage the season, but that's exactly what this is, a salvaged season...

I thought we should have gone to the tournament this year (assuming we don't win Vegas, it can happen)

Next season will tell us a lot. Even if Bey leaves, this team should be in the hunt for the regular season crown. Remember last time we expected great things, when Jelly was a junior? We shat the bed something awful.

Jelly's missed a lot of time because of a back injury that year, hard to blame Boyle for that, and they rebounded quite well in Jelly's senior year.

When we were 11-9, I was beyond frustrated and thought that Tad needed to feel some serious pressure to produce next year.

I still believe that he has to produce next year with the team he's got coming back.

But now we're getting back into "coach for life" territory for me if he salvages this season and follows it up with a big 2019-20 season.

That's right, just like Mac. We need more "no excuses" coaches here. It's gonna happen, RG will make a move.
tenor.gif

Bumping this dumba$$ post.

When we were 11-9, I was beyond frustrated and thought that Tad needed to feel some serious pressure to produce next year.

I still believe that he has to produce next year with the team he's got coming back.

But now we're getting back into "coach for life" territory for me if he salvages this season and follows it up with a big 2019-20 season.

Just so I understand you correctly: 1.5 good-ish seasons gets him coach for life?

Just so I understand you correctly: 1.5 good-ish seasons gets him coach for life?
Tad's in his 9th season.

It is his 6th 20-win season. Total 20-win seasons in the history of CU basketball: 10

Tad has taken CU to the Dance 4 times in 8 seasons and will finish this year either 4/9 or 5/9.

Since 1970, CU had been to 2 NCAA tournaments prior to Tad. (Ricardo Patton had 2 in 12 seasons for the other ones.)

are you high?

Maybe contact. I wouldn’t say Boyle has had a good season since 2016. He has a chance to salvage this one and have a good season if they win the P12 tourney.

But does sems in the P12 tourney and narrowly missing the NIT constitute a good season? My standard is the NCAA tournament at a minimum, especially since we play in the softest P5 conference.

Maybe contact. I wouldn’t say Boyle has had a good season since 2016. He has a chance to salvage this one and have a good season if they win the P12 tourney.

But does sems in the P12 tourney and narrowly missing the NIT constitute a good season? My standard is the NCAA tournament at a minimum, especially since we play in the softest P5 conference.
see above. You are definitely high btw.

Tad's in his 9th season.

It is his 6th 20-win season. Total 20-win seasons in the history of CU basketball: 10

Tad has taken CU to the Dance 4 times in 8 seasons and will finish this year either 4/9 or 5/9.

Since 1970, CU had been to 2 NCAA tournaments prior to Tad. (Ricardo Patton had 2 in 12 seasons for the other ones.)

My concern is the coach for life speak. If he elevates the program and plateaus by not making the NCAA tournament consistently, I think we’ve done the program a disservice.

My concern is the coach for life speak. If he elevates the program and plateaus by not making the NCAA tournament consistently, I think we’ve done the program a disservice.
And if he slips to the point where he's making the tourney once every five years... that lesser performance level would still make him easily the best coach in the history of CU basketball.

see above. You are definitely high btw.

Nope. We play in the worse P5 conference. Going years without making the NCAA tournament is unacceptable. Getting 20 wins is fun, except we played in a conference before with much better teams than we play now. It was harder to win 20 games when we were in the Big 8/12.

And if he slips to the point where he's making the tourney once every five years... that lesser performance level would still make him easily the best coach in the history of CU basketball.

The CFL speak means that Colorado is incapable of finding a different coach who’s able to elevate the program. I guess that’s where we disagree.

Nope. We play in the worse P5 conference. Going years without making the NCAA tournament is unacceptable. Getting 20 wins is fun, except we played in a conference before with much better teams than we play now. It was harder to win 20 games when we were in the Big 8/12.
If you are UCLA, it is. We are not UCLA.

I'm assuming you're relatively young, because you're complaining about going years without making the tournament. So, I'll re-iterate what Buffnik already said.

Tournament appearances since 1960
2012 Tad
2013 Tad
2014 Tad
2016 Tad

Notice the tournament appearances in the 1970's and the 1980's. Some of us remember going decades without making the tournament, so 4 appearances in Tad's 8-9 years seems like great results.

Maybe expectations needs to change, but you also need to realize where we've come from.

I'm assuming you're relatively young, because you're complaining about going years without making the tournament. So, I'll re-iterate what Buffnik already said.

Tournament appearances since 1960
2012 Tad
2013 Tad
2014 Tad
2016 Tad

Notice the tournament appearances in the 1970's and the 1980's. Some of us remember going decades without making the tournament, so 4 appearances in Tad's 8-9 years seems like great results.

Maybe expectations needs to change, but you also need to realize where we've come from.

Relatively young compared to whom? I am not elderly, but most would say I am not young (40). I’ve been a Colorado fan in all sports for as long as I can remember.

Nik’s and now your post is about low expectations and the belief that Colorado’s program is presently unable to find a coach who can elevate the program further. I am not on board with this thinking.

We play in a different landscape today than before. Making the tournament matters. Nothing else matters, especially since making the tournament is now easier than ever before.

We play in the worst Power 5 conference.
We haven’t made the NCAA Tournament in three seasons.
When we were in the Big 8/12, we had to deal with much tougher opposition in basketball. Winning was much more difficult. In many of the years you list, only conference winners and select at-larges made the tournament.

Boyle upped the stakes and the standard by which he ought to be judged. If your belief is that the CU men’s basketball team is good enough as it stands, then we’ll have to disagree.

Last edited:
I think reasonable expectations for Tad every year would be:

1. Better than .500 in conference play.
2. 20 wins or more.
3. Tourney bid.

Next year it could be:

1. 12-14 wins in conference play.
2. 25 wins.
3. Sweet 16.

Back