What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

Ripp. This team is still really young. Relax.
Right. And when this team still ends up in the middle of the pack in 2-3 years, just like every other "young" CU team, that comment will replicate itself. Again, again, and again.

2011 to now, what has improved with the other "young" CU teams?

Right. And when this team still ends up in the middle of the pack in 2-3 years, just like every other "young" CU team, that comment will replicate itself. Again, again, and again.

2011 to now, what has improved with the other "young" CU teams?
Okay. Whatever. You’d better get used to Tad as coach because he’s not going anywhere.

Did everyone forget the strategic plan Rick George created a few years back? I can guarantee that RG and Tad had many conversations that defined the requirements to meet the goals of the AD. If Tad has gotten the support that he requested, but has not delivered the outcomes, then he should definitely be on the chopping block. Lucky for him MM probably bought him a few years.

I will admit to being a passive observer of CU basketball. That was not always that case. When I was a student, I was the only guy in my dorm who went to games. I love basketball, but CU has always been an afterthought.

I agree with those that say if RG wants to move the dial, Tad needs to go. Otherwise, we can count on staying at the bottom of the P12. Look, I am somewhat indifferent at this point. But it would be cool if we could look forward to basketball season every year, and getting to the next level.

Okay. Whatever. You’d better get used to Tad as coach because he’s not going anywhere.
tenor.gif

If you have even a partial understanding of the history of CU basketball you would know Tad Boyle is the best thing to happen to the men’s BB program.

And he’s not going anywhere.
Very familiar with the history, dating back to (at least) 1983. You may be correct. So get used to never getting beyond barely making it to the dance (every five years, at best).

I think the "fire Tad after a bad loss" argument is solid. Look how well it worked out for North Carolina when they fired Roy Williams after losing to Belmont in Chapel Hill a couple of years ago.

I think the "fire Tad after a bad loss" argument is solid. Look how well it worked out for North Carolina when they fired Roy Williams after losing to Belmont in Chapel Hill a couple of years ago.
Pathetic analogy.

I've been following the Buffs basketball team long enough that I can say f*** Roy Williams.

Ripp. This team is still really young. Relax. Unless you’re willing to go the Sean Miller/Dana Altman/Andy Enfield route, you have to be content with developing young, less touted players.

Nope, not buying it. Youth doesn't matter in college basketball, that's why elite teams win with freshman.

What about the last time we had a senior laden team in 2016-2017? We had 5 seniors and Derrick White and couldn't make the tournament. We lost 7 games in a row to start conference play.

Nope, not buying it. Youth doesn't matter in college basketball, that's why elite teams win with freshman.

What about the last time we had a senior laden team in 2016-2017? We had 5 seniors and Derrick White and couldn't make the tournament. We lost 7 games in a row to start conference play.
Keep going

That was the season I was as down on Tad as I have ever been.

Age/Youth does matter in basketball, just not as much as talent. Experience is more of an equalizer in football, but it's still a significant factor in basketball -- it's just not enough. Coach K fought against taking the 1 & done types until he accepted that even at the level of talent he was getting that wasn't going to leave right away the gap was still too far for his coaching & team experience to overcome. So this year he's gone farther than even Coach Cal has ever gone with that, signing the #1, #2, #5, #15 and #33 rated players in the 2018 class.

In short, it's better to be talented than veteran in basketball. But if you aren't recruiting a roster of Top 50 guys your players are going to need 2 or 3 years to grow up.

Until it is supported at a higher level, consistently getting to the post-season is what we should be thankful for. We will have some highs mixed in there.
I hear ya and I should've made it clear I wasn't talking about Tad, my bad. I'd think it would help the University, as a whole, to be successful in whatever they tried to do. How to go about doing that, you'd know better than me.

I hear ya and I should've made it clear I wasn't talking about Tad, my bad. I'd think it would help the University, as a whole, to be successful in whatever they tried to do. How to go about doing that, you'd know better than me.
You get there by giving basketball and other sports what you can while you focus almost everything on football.

Because the CU athletic department was not broken in a day & it won't be fixed in a day.

Before we had 18 years of mismanagement from Tharp and Bohn, the AD had mostly been occupied by coaches who were good stewards but were a little behind the curve at creating a donor culture & running the department like a business. I don't really blame them because that was the way it had always been done and few programs saw the shifting tides. But Tharp was a business person who was supposed to get us on top of these things. Bohn was supposedly very fiscal responsible, well-liked by prospective donors and experienced as an AD. Neither accomplished anything close to what needed to happen.

So that has all fallen in Rick George's lap.

He's got a basketball coach with a passion for basketball in this state, runs a successful program cleanly, and sometimes goes on a run that invigorates the fan & donor base. We got lucky with Tad.

Tad's not going to get enough of the things he needs to make CU MBB a national power until the CU FB program is rolling to the point where the west side is completely re-done, we've got sellouts & a much larger season ticket base that's also paying more for those tickets, the parking and the donations. Until this football success drives a donor culture at CU and the AD endowment is at the level of successful peers.

Once that happens, you'll see MBB funded the way we'd want, you'll see better facilities for other sports such as stadiums for LAX and Field Sports, you'll see bigger salaries, more support staff and larger recruiting budgets for all sports, and you'll see the addition of new sports. Then we should expect to be competing for deep tourney runs and even national championships in sports like MBB. Since MBB is actually a potential positive revenue sport -- and both WBB & VB can operate with significant revenues even if at a net loss -- the court sports support and facilities will happen ahead of the other CU sports as the #2 priority behind football.

But all these things we all want only happen if we are successful at Part A of this plan, which is becoming great at football again.

And I don't mean this to be a downer. There will be years when Tad pulls off a Pac-12 championship or makes a tourney run to the 2nd weekend. Maybe even hits lightning in a bottle and goes farther. But that will not be the norm, just as falling below NIT shouldn't be the norm.

****! You’re right! My bad. Tad needs to get out there and sign a couple of McDonald’s All Americans! Piece of cake.

Didn't the basketball team get new facilities a couple of years ago?
The basketball/volleyball practice facility opened over 7 years ago. That makes it a newer facility, but it is far from state-of-the-art or with all the bells and whistles that the pretty great to elite programs have.

Everything we have for football with being able to get meals, study/ tutors, medical attention, weight training, cardio and agility work, etc. to get a haircut, play video games, shoot pool, watch a movie or hang out... that's what needs to be at our basketball facility. To get that, we might need to demolish the CEC unless there's a way to add a ring around the building and raise the roof so we could have modern concourses.

CU needs to avoid competing in Hawaii. :)
The last time we were there for hoops, was that when Bohn traveled with the team confident that he had the support to fire Hawkins only to find out HCDH had successfully lobbied for another year while he was away?

In football, was the last one that horror show I stayed up all night to watch?

The last time we were there for hoops, was that when Bohn traveled with the team confident that he had the support to fire Hawkins only to find out HCDH had successfully lobbied for another year while he was away?

In football, was the last one that horror show I stayed up all night to watch?
I know. Fuzzy memories. Just not fuzzy enough.

Back