What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad is in the top 30 paid coaches in the country.

Proportionally CU seems to like escalators more than our conference foes - which is interesting given that many fans think the school isnt hard enough on their coaches performance. Altman for instance only has about 20% of his potential comp in escalators where as Boyle and Mac have ~50%

In the case of MacIntyre, a lot of it can be traced back to the Butch Jones debacle. He essentially had zero leverage when negotiating with MacIntyre because everyone already knew what CU was prepared to pay for a head coach.

In the case of MacIntyre, a lot of it can be traced back to the Butch Jones debacle. He essentially had zero leverage when negotiating with MacIntyre because everyone already knew what CU was prepared to pay for a head coach.

I think part of it is culture at CU the AD probably knows people will fixate on salaries so putting in numerous escalators for performance is easier than doing what Oregon does and just paying a hefty upfront.

I would think it is mostly about limiting buyouts since the AD was $10 million in debt from coaching firings when Mac was brought on.

And yet he has only had ONE team achieve that level of success! Enough of the Tad is a savior crap...he is paid to deliver a team that gets to the second round and he ain't cutting it. His teams CHOKE away from home just about every time....turnovers late....long droughts in the last 10 minutes....ridiculous runs.....the program is stuck in neutral and not improving. Recruiting is mediocre. .. it would be one thing if he was underpaid...I knew they would collapse in the second half and they complied...note to Tad....just making the tournament is not commensurate with your salary.....your second half adjustments suck....

Actually, I'll agree with SDB. I think we should all thank our lucky stars that Ceal didn't strike out with Tad Boyle when bringing him down the 34/I-25 to the flagship university in Colorado. If you look at every single other Mike Bohn and Ceal Barry hire they didn't work out, for what in retrospect, seemed like obvious reasons. I don't follow Buffs football, but I'm passionate about the Women's program, and I've learned a lot about the Bohn/Barry hires after the fact. Embree was a huge CU guy, and anyone that knew him knows how special CU was in his heart, and how much he loved the program. However, he was an NFL Tight Ends coach. He had zero coaching experience at the Div-I level or in the NFL as either an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator. I know the criticism of Embree was that he then didn't hire any coordinators that had legitimate experience, and I've heard it said that the Buffs had the worst coordination in Big 5 conference football under Embree. Ceal hired Kathy McConnell-Miller under Mike Bohn, and she did a great job putting together the talent that eventually lifted the women's program up to the 11th ranked team nationally, before the wheels fell off under Linda. KMM luckily landed Chucky, and most people don't realize how much KMM's staff recruited Arielle Roberson before Linda's hire, even though her brother was here. Arielle Roberson didn't decide to sign with CU because of Linda. The KMM hire wasn't popular, but no can argue that the players she recruited weren't exceptional, considering what would follow under Linda. When Ceal's handpicked successor KMM was fired it was a very popular move, but Ceal decided Linda was the right person for the job. The thing you have to understand is that Ceal never coached basketball in the era of organized "big time" basketball:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/sports/sportsspecial/a-coachs-farewell-message.html?_r=0

Ceal came from a more informal era, and Ceal really couldn't fathom how inappropriate it was, at the time, to offer a Div-I power 6 conference (ACC is the sixth in basketball), job to a former player and friend that literally had almost zero experience. I think Linda had only ever coached in the RMAC at Metropolitan State for the Roadrunners. I believe at Metro State Linda's team finished with a lower conference placement every season she was there. The game had passed Ceal by and she thought she could just give the CU Women's basketball job to whomever she wanted. It was her kingdom, as it were. We've seen how that worked out. Looking back of the Embree, Lappe and KMM hires the best move that Bohn/Ceal made was actually KMM.

Both Bohn/Ceal got very very lucky with Tad Boyle. There was nothing in what he did at Northern Colorado to suggest he would be able to build a Colorado program playing in the Big-12/Pac-12 into a relevant program. Colorado is very lucky to have had Tad. Tad is a good basketball coach, but not a great one. Like Linda he's in way over his head. His teams struggle with the same basic fundamental issues season after season. With Tad, like with Linda, Ceal has kept Tad locked up on a five-year contract always renewing him, without actually making Tad really "earn" anything for forward progress.

If you stop and think about it, a Tad Boyle team at the University of Colorado has only ONCE ever finished the Big-12 or Pac-12 in better than 5th place. That lone season finishing better than 5th was merely finishing the regular season in 3rd place. So let's consider why Ceal has Tad Boyle being paid as one of the top coaches in the country? With that kind of money CU could seriously improve half a dozen women's sports programs. With the money Tad is being paid to finish every season "one and done" the Buffs could invest it instead to have a perennial Top-10 Women's Basketball program.

Anyone drinking the Kool-Aid with Tad Boyle needs to recognize that he has never shown anything to demonstrate he can get the program beyond just marginally relevant. Tad Boyle is the albatross of CU athletics. He's not a great coach. He was great to build a program up, but he clearly can't take the next step either with recruiting or offensive/defensive schemes. Tad doesn't evolve to put his talent in a position to succeed, he want to stick with the same basic defensive principles that have never worked yet. Unless the goal is finish as Tad has:

2010-11 t-5th (Big 12)
2011-12 t-5th (Pac-12)
2012-13 5th
2013-14 t-3rd
2014-15 t-8th
2015-16 t-5th

Anyone who looks at those regular season finishes under Tad and claims the team is improving, or the program is moving forward, or improving under Tad is delusional. Ceal has made the same mistakes on both sides of basketball operations, there is no reason that Tad Boyle should have a full five years remaining on his contract. Unless when RG says that he wants to compete for championships, what he really means is one season ever finishing higher than 5th place. CU got very lucky that Tad Boyle didn't crash and burn like every other Ceal/Bohn hire: Embree, KMM, and Linda. However, anyone that thinks Tad is going to grow as a coach and every have CU truly competitive in the Pac-12 might be waiting a very long time. CU under Tad Boyle is what it is. You shouldn't reward a perennial "one and done" coach that has a single season finishing better than 5th in the conference, with a contract that pays him like a top-30 NCAA Tournament coach. Any school that wants to poach Tad away from CU, let them! It won't end well for Tad or them. Let them buy out his contract, and RG can move forward with an actual GOOD coach that can take that next step.

Somebody needs to come up with a RWAG Cliffs Notes version.

Doesn't think that Tad should have 5 years on his contract because his job performance has plateaued at a mediocre level of success & he should be on the hot seat to deliver better or be replaced.

A thought just occurred to me. Ralphie wasn't a girl. Ralphie IS a girl.
Semantics? I don't think so.

RWAG's stream of consciousness is prodigious. No filter whatsoever.

Taking on the challenge of reading a RWAG post is like watching Niagra Falls. It just flows and flows and never stops. Bodies in barrels just keep getting pushed into the abyss.

RWAG's stream of consciousness is prodigious. No filter whatsoever.

Taking on the challenge of reading a RWAG post is like watching Niagra Falls. It just flows and flows and never stops. Bodies in barrels just keep getting pushed into the abyss.
It's now infiltrated a new thread... I actually didn't look at the poster, started reading and thought "This has to be RWAG".

RK & BSN respond to the haters with either the best or worst thing I have ever seen published in the history of western sports journalism:

I wanna know what quality Colorado recruits Tad missed out on besides Deron Davis? Four of our starting 5 was from Colorado, I don't remember that ever happening. We used to miss out on CO recruits all the time, but I think you're way off on that one.

Off the top of my head
De'Ron Davis 5*
Josh Perkins 4*
Ronnie Harrell 4*

Tad deserves every penny for what he's done so far. There are obvious deficiencies, including game day coaching and the drop in recruiting which will come home to roost next year. But when you look at the overall context of CU, the acceptance of the culture of losing in football and basketball, you just can't complain about him.

Off the top of my head
De'Ron Davis 5*
Josh Perkins 4*
Ronnie Harrell 4*

Tad deserves every penny for what he's done so far. There are obvious deficiencies, including game day coaching and the drop in recruiting which will come home to roost next year. But when you look at the overall context of CU, the acceptance of the culture of losing in football and basketball, you just can't complain about him. He's nice a nice job.
I don't think they offered Harrell and Perkins was an either/or with Dom I believe. Davis was a tough loss.

I don't think they offered Harrell and Perkins was an either/or with Dom I believe. Davis was a tough loss.

Would we technically consider Perk an instate recruit since he left long before he committed and played his SR season is west virginia?

Whether offered or not I would take Perkins over Collier and Harrell over the Euro sloth. Davis was the one that got away. There's little behind Scott and Gordon.

Whether offered or not I would take Perkins over Collier and Harrell over the Euro sloth. Davis was the one that got away. There's little behind Scott and Gordon.
Okay well Dom committed first and it was really close in high school to pick between the two.

I think Harrell was in the Tory Miller class. We needed another post, not another wing.

Would we technically consider Perk an instate recruit since he left long before he committed and played his SR season is west virginia?

Personally, absolutely yes, but as other have pointed out, it seems to have been an either/or with Dom. Even if CU would have taken both (which I believe they backed off once Dom committed), I don't think Perkins would have come here if Dom was signed up due to playing time. This is all conjecture on my part - not from literal, published quotes by people directly involved. But back to your point, if CO has another highly regarded kid that decides to play at IMG, Oak Hill, etc for his senior year, I absolutely consider him an in-state kid. The staff would (should) have had ample time to talk to the kid first, make first impressions, become friendly with the family, etc. all before his last year in HS. I take it you think otherwise?

so...I'm actually one of the few that appreciated 'Tini's contributions to this board, but if he can be kicked off the board... ...why not this new poster RalphieWasaGirl? I'll be honest, I haven't read anything he/she has ranted about in the last few weeks, but based on reactions, if he/she really is bashing current players and family members, directly to their social media accounts, why have him/her on this board? He/she seems more of a troll than actual fan, and has been given multiple chances to redeem himself/herself...just my humble opinion.

Personally, absolutely yes, but as other have pointed out, it seems to have been an either/or with Dom. Even if CU would have taken both (which I believe they backed off once Dom committed), I don't think Perkins would have come here if Dom was signed up due to playing time. This is all conjecture on my part - not from literal, published quotes by people directly involved. But back to your point, if CO has another highly regarded kid that decides to play at IMG, Oak Hill, etc for his senior year, I absolutely consider him an in-state kid. The staff would (should) have had ample time to talk to the kid first, make first impressions, become friendly with the family, etc. all before his last year in HS. I take it you think otherwise?

Would you consider Alpha Diallo an in-state recruit?

Back