What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the game? Revised expectations?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Late last night, I decided to read some other fan boards (mostly Nub) to see if their impressions matched with mine. Their view of our Buffs, compared to the Nubs, is that we are bigger, stronger, more physical, have more playmaker talent and are well-coached. I don't think there was any more than a slim margin on that stuff, but it added up.

My takeaways:

Offense
If Montez got his mojo back, this team can hang with anyone. OL is getting its job done and improves as the game goes on. RBs are running hard and finishing while showing talent. WRs are what we thought they were -- maybe better. TEs are definitely an integrated part of this scheme. Team looks like it will score a lot of points this year. Best thing about it, I think, is that it is showing so much balance. Not just run/pass, but also balance between ball control and quick strike ability.

With the coordination and play calling, I thought Johnson had a tough 1st half. Not just the obvious with the lack of yards and zero points, but that he got away from running the ball. A big key to that 2nd half was that they came out re-committed to establishing the run and having balance. They stuck with it even as we were running low on time left and it made all the difference.

Last, a quick shout out to Jaylon Jackson. This may have been his coming out party. Every time he gets an opportunity, he makes plays.

Defense
I love some things I'm seeing here. Starting with the DL, those guys are giving up very little between the tackles. The only way to attack this defense on the ground has been to get to its edges. CBs have got to get a little more physical and the OLBs have got to play in control to keep containment. That stuff is significantly improved from the 1st half of the CSU game, but there's still a ways to go. Yesterday, Taylor finally getting some run was huge. He changed the game in the 2nd half with his closing speed to the outside. Hopefully that means that he's figuring things out. I like where we are going as a run defense.

As a pass defense, we're still seeing major breakdowns that can't continue. Abrams had a very quiet day, which is great to see. Onu has been as big of a reason for the 2-0 start as anyone. Maddox looks shaky in the coverage schemes. Miller had a huge pick and Blackmon is playing well. It's close. But it needs a pass rush to help it out. Mustafa got it going yesterday in a big way and Lang started to flash, too. It's the edge rush that concerns me. Tchangam showed a bit and looked better than week 1, but Falo isn't a pass rusher. We need Wells to get healthy and come on. At ILB, I thought that Landman started looking like Landman yesterday. I'm not sure who is going to emerge at the other ILB spot. JVD works hard and he was a 4* recruit for a reason, but he's shaking off a lot of rust and injuries. I'm also not seeing a lot from him on change of direction & playing in space, which is concerning. Akil looked like he belonged in the mix when he got in. I suppose we're waiting for Jash Allen to have the lightbulb go on with the defensive scheme & rules to get unleashed one week like Taylor was yesterday.

Special Teams
2 mistakes nearly cost the game -- penalty for running into the punter on Arias and fumbled kickoff return on Viska. Can't have that. Otherwise, punting and kicking were outstanding. Burying the Nubs in bad field position all day was the big key to that win that we probably haven't talked about enough.

Revised Season Expectations?
I went into this year thinking our Buffs are a bowl team. That hasn't changed. I suppose that what has changed is that I feel that the odds of winning each week have improved. With that, I don't see the Buffs as a bottom tier Pac-12 team. Shouldn't that mean that going 5-4 in conference play is completely reasonable? That 6-3 or even 7-2 wouldn't be crazy?

Last edited:
Late last night, I decided to read some other fan boards (mostly Nub) to see if their impressions matched with mine. Their view of our Buffs, compared to the Nubs, is that we are bigger, stronger, more physical, have more playmaker talent and are well-coached. I don't think there was any more than a slim margin on that stuff, but it added up.

My takeaways:

Offense
If Montez got his mojo back, this team can hang with anyone. OL is getting its job done and improves as the game goes on. RBs are running hard and finishing while showing talent. WRs are what we thought they were -- maybe better. TEs are definitely an integrated part of this scheme. Team looks like it will score a lot of points this year. Best thing about it, I think, is that it is showing so much balance. Not just run/pass, but also balance between ball control and quick strike ability.

With the coordination and play calling, I thought Johnson had a tough 1st half. Not just the obvious with the lack of yards and zero points, but that he got away from running the ball. A big key to that 2nd half was that they came out re-committed to establishing the run and having balance. They stuck with it even as we were running low on time left and it made all the difference.

Last, a quick shout out to Jaylon Jackson. This may have been his coming out party. Every time he gets an opportunity, he makes plays.

Defense
I love some things I'm seeing here. Starting with the DL, those guys are giving up very little between the tackles. The only way to attack this defense on the ground has been to get to its edges. CBs have got to get a little more physical and the OLBs have got to play in control to keep containment. That stuff is significantly improved from the 1st half of the CSU game, but there's still a ways to go. Yesterday, Taylor finally getting some run was huge. He changed the game in the 2nd half with his closing speed to the outside. Hopefully that means that he's figuring things out. I like where we are going as a run defense.

As a pass defense, we're still seeing major breakdowns that can't continue. Abrams had a very quiet day, which is great to see. Onu has been as big of a reason for the 2-0 start as anyone. Maddox looks shaky in the coverage schemes. Miller had a huge pick and Blackmon is playing well. It's close. But it needs a pass rush to help it out. Mustafa got it going yesterday in a big way and Lang started to flash, too. It's the edge rush that concerns me. Tchangam showed a bit and looked better than week 1, but Falo isn't a pass rusher. We need Wells to get healthy and come on. At ILB, I thought that Landman started looking like Landman yesterday. I'm not sure who is going to emerge at the other ILB spot. JVD works hard and he was a 4* recruit for a reason, but he's shaking off a lot of rust and injuries. I'm also not seeing a lot from him on change of direction & playing in space, which is concerning. Akil looked like he belonged in the mix when he got in. I suppose we're waiting for Jash Allen to have the lightbulb go on with the defensive scheme & rules to get unleashed one week like Taylor was yesterday.

Special Teams
2 mistakes nearly cost the game -- penalty for running into the punter on Arias and fumbled kickoff return on Viska. Can't have that. Otherwise, punting and kicking were outstanding. Furying the Nubs in bad field position all day was the big key to that win that we probably haven't talked about enough.

I went into this year thinking our Buffs are a bowl team. That hasn't changed. I suppose that what has changed is that I feel that the odds of winning each week have improved. With that, I don't see the Buffs as a bottom tier Pac-12 team. Shouldn't that mean that going 5-4 in conference play is completely reasonable? That 6-3 or even 7-2 wouldn't be crazy?

This might be what the damage from the 10 losses in a row under FHCMM did with bowl eligibility on the line, but let's get to 6 wins first. No reason why we can't do that.

Last edited:
Nice post Buffnik. Maddox had s tough 1st quarter but settled down later.

As for expectations, I don’t think mine have changed. I still think 7 wins, with most of the rest of the schedule being 50/50 in any particular game. I think teams with established line talent will give us big trouble, like USC and Utah. On the other hand, UCLA is more vulnerable than I expected. Cal beating Washington was a big surprise.

I’d like to see how this team travels before getting radical.

My takeaways:

Offense

Defense

Special Teams
2 mistakes nearly cost the game -- penalty for running into the punter on Arias and fumbled kickoff return on Viska. Can't have that. Otherwise, punting and kicking were outstanding. Furying the Nubs in bad field position all day was the big key to that win that we probably haven't talked about enough.

Agree with nearly all above. Akil Jones had a really good game. When they gave him more run in the 2H, Martinez was in the phone booth.

Assuming the Buffs beat AFA this Saturday, here's how I see the season panning out:

@ASU W (will be tough with the heat but Tucker has been rotating DL players)
UA W
@UO L
@ WSU L (game is feeling more like a toss up at this point)
USC W (overdue for a win over the Trojans)
@ UCLA W
Stanford W
Washington W (Myles Gaskin is no longer a Husky)
@ Utah L

Bowl game was my expectation for this year and remains so. Don't think the Buffs will contend for the conference title tho.

My takeaways:

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Can't add too much to these points other than:

Offensive play calling needs to be better more quickly. I don't need to see wasted runs into the middle of the line when we get no yards (in very quarter) doing it. Boundary plays until the opposing teams modifies their defense. Then try testing the interior. And don't wait until halftime to make these adjustments, it isn't like we have every play before then scripted.

Montez needs to play the whole game like he did after halftime. He can be a difference maker......either way.

Defense looks like they are thinking instead of knowing their assignments, with confusion being a significant issue. This will get better with familiarity. We also need better athletes. That will be fixed with better recruiting and having recruits at the Nebraska game had to help. Not knocking on who we have, they are our team, but FHCMM accepted average, and that doesn't work when you don't accept average.

Final record? 5-4 in conference for me with a punchers chance at 6-3. Better than I originally thought, and if these guys really start to believe, it can get better.

Last edited:
Before the game, I told my buddy if we lose, I see our ceiling as 6 wins. If we won, 8 wins. The grit and fortitude shown yesterday has caused me to revise my ceiling to 10 wins (or 7-2 in conference and beating AFA). Not a prediction - a range and a ceiling for the season.

Gotta see how they fair against AFA before I revise me expectations. Defending the option is going to test young defenders, and our guys have taken some awful angles and blown Gap coverage quite a bit so far.

It will be a test

The running into the kicker was bad. Without it, our breakout comes before halftime. For me, I need to send balls up the middle to keep the linebackers focused on first level to free up a lot of other things. It would be rare they work, but it sets up play action and a lot of quick passes.

Buffs as underdogs - preseason
Everyone but CSU & AFA

Adjusted after week 2
Sill favorite over AFA
favorite over Arizona & UCLA

Can envision at least 1 win versus
ASU, Stanford, Cal, USC. Maybe 2

Tough sledding
Oregon, Wazzou, Washington, Utah.
A win against any of these ranked conference foes is noteworthy over achievement that lifts Tucker’s coaching stock into salary renegotiation territory. If the first 20 pages of the CSU and NU game threads are any indication, this fan base recognizes that these Buffs are on the verge of being exposed as frauds against a well coached team with equal or better athletes. These ranked P12 teams are indeed well coached and athletic.

The math puts my hopes for Tucker’s first year in Boulder at 6-6 or 7-5 for the reg season ... plus a bowl win.

I suspect many CSU, NU, P12 foe fanbases and national press continue anticipate only 4 or 5 wins against this tough schedule.

Ultimately high expectations for bowl eligibility results depends on depth.

While Laviska is a game changer, I suspect that there are enough other weapons to keep CU scoring 3 or more times a game. Laviska as decoy is kind of where we are at given the tenderness of his shoulder. With a healthy Laviska - ASU, AZ and UCLA looks very winnable. Without Laviska, there is still optimism.

Players who appear indispensable:

Montez - CU’s backup QB situation is an uncomfortable unknown. At some point this season, it’s imperative to build for the 2020 season.

Onu: The SMU grad transfer has 3 TOs in 2 games, saving CU’s ass again and again when passionate rivalries are at stake. He is the D MVP without question.

Landman: Team’s leading tackler has instincts that are hard to replace. Key piece of keeping CU in the game.

Mustafa: A 4Q wrecking machine. He goes, so goes rally time.

Tucker’s recruits may get called into duty earlier than what is ideal. Getting JAGS a chance to next man up is what the rest of the D is all about.

I predicted 8-4 with wins vs CSU and NU, so I’ll stick with that. If the defensive breakdowns can continue getting cleaned up and not wait until the second half to make plays, I could see this team winning a game or two it probably shouldn’t (Wash or WSU).

Gotta see how they fair against AFA before I revise me expectations. Defending the option is going to test young defenders, and our guys have taken some awful angles and blown Gap coverage quite a bit so far.

It will be a test

After what Army almost did to Michigan, I trust the guys won't take the Zoomies lightly.

I also think the Huskers were so pumped to start the game with their shot at “redemption” and their fans there. The mojo was all on the corn to start. We took the first blow, but the better team wore them out and finished them. So damn proud of this team and Tucker is the real deal. I’ve said all along, Tucker will have a better career at CU than Frost does at Nebraska. **** Nebraska!! The tables have turned and we own those bitches!!!!

My expectations have grown, but moreso because how the rest of the PAC12 has looked

UCLA, Arizona, ASU, and Stanford are extremely beatable. A win against AF and 3 wins against those teams and we’re going bowling. That’s very do-able. At the start of the year I was thinking 4-8 or 5-7
Yeah I think most people said ASU and Stanford were likely losses. Neither one of those teams look all that much better than CU, if better at all. Good chance to win 3/4 of those, IMO.

The running into the kicker was bad. Without it, our breakout comes before halftime. For me, I need to send balls up the middle to keep the linebackers focused on first level to free up a lot of other things. It would be rare they work, but it sets up play action and a lot of quick passes.

Correct. All those annoying runs up the middle are part of the reason the flea flicker succeeded.

I said 7-5 but that was expecting them to beat to beat huskers so nothing has changed as far as the record, but the big thing is I think we're getting a glimpse of the future of how hard the team plays and will keep it up thru a full 4 quarters even when things start out bad or look bleak. Can't wait to see this staff once they get more talent in here but we'll still see improvement even in situations where we're out manned.

Buffs as underdogs - preseason
Everyone but CSU & AFA

Adjusted after week 2
Sill favorite over AFA
favorite over Arizona & UCLA

Can envision at least 1 win versus
ASU, Stanford, Cal, USC. Maybe 2

Tough sledding
Oregon, Wazzou, Washington, Utah.
A win against any of these ranked conference foes is noteworthy over achievement that lifts Tucker’s coaching stock into salary renegotiation territory. If the first 20 pages of the CSU and NU game threads are any indication, this fan base recognizes that these Buffs are on the verge of being exposed as frauds against a well coached team with equal or better athletes. These ranked P12 teams are indeed well coached and athletic.

The math puts my hopes for Tucker’s first year in Boulder at 6-6 or 7-5 for the reg season ... plus a bowl win.

I suspect many CSU, NU, P12 foe fanbases and national press continue anticipate only 4 or 5 wins against this tough schedule.

Ultimately high expectations for bowl eligibility results depends on depth.

While Laviska is a game changer, I suspect that there are enough other weapons to keep CU scoring 3 or more times a game. Laviska as decoy is kind of where we are at given the tenderness of his shoulder. With a healthy Laviska - ASU, AZ and UCLA looks very winnable. Without Laviska, there is still optimism.

Players who appear indispensable:

Montez - CU’s backup QB situation is an uncomfortable unknown. At some point this season, it’s imperative to build for the 2020 season.

Onu: The SMU grad transfer has 3 TOs in 2 games, saving CU’s ass again and again when passionate rivalries are at stake. He is the D MVP without question.

Landman: Team’s leading tackler has instincts that are hard to replace. Key piece of keeping CU in the game.

Mustafa: A 4Q wrecking machine. He goes, so goes rally time.

Tucker’s recruits may get called into duty earlier than what is ideal. Getting JAGS a chance to next man up is what the rest of the D is all about.
I was going to post that I was frustrated that Viska was not targeted more. I saw him line up many times one-on-one with very little apparent support from the Neb safety - only to see him not even run a full route. I understand spreading it around and taking what they give us, but thought we missed out on some opportunities to get the ball in his hands. But did not know about his tender shoulder, which helps explain what happened. When/how did his shoulder get banged up?

FWIW, there are a number of pictures and videos from the post game celebration where Viska is dancing and moving his arms without restriction. He may have some discomfort but there doesn’t seem to be any kind of serious injury they’re worried about.

The offense should be able to manage plenty of scoring against AFA without Viska being heavily involved (and KD for that matter). I’d like to see those two rest up a bit for ASU if possible

I was going to post that I was frustrated that Viska was not targeted more. I saw him line up many times one-on-one with very little apparent support from the Neb safety - only to see him not even run a full route. I understand spreading it around and taking what they give us, but thought we missed out on some opportunities to get the ball in his hands. But did not know about his tender shoulder, which helps explain what happened. When/how did his shoulder get banged up?

Last year ... and he had surgery on it after the season.

Back