What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

TCU to join Big 12

tulane just became the best road trip in the conference if it is true!

Nm

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

Last edited:
Tulane used to be in the SEC. believe they were founding member.
My first job was selling Coke and & 7up at Tulane stadium, when I was 10 years old. Made good money for a little 10 year old kid, and got to see the games free.
Saw Tulane tie Alabama 6 - 6 one year. Alabama's kicker missed the extra point. He must have had a tough bus ride home with Bear Byrant. Way back Tulane was actually one of the better college football teams in the country. That was a long time ago. They were a founding member. Max "The Taxi" MaGee, played for Tulane. He was the most valuable player in the first Super Bowl for Green Bay. Played the game with a hangover - got drunk the night before.

I almost feel bad for these OU people. They have convinced themselves that a Big 12 (without Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou) is still the 2nd best conference in the country - if they add TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and WVU.

They continually point to the fact that OU, OSU and Texas are all ranked in the top 10 (with KSU and Baylor also in the Top 25), and proclaim that alone makes them a better conference than everybody except SEC.

Rumor now has it that BYU is out, completely.

Next candidates are Louisville, Cincinnati, and West Virginia.

This one looks imminent. Louvull has fulfilled condition #1 - turning their offense over to Shawn Watson. Having him back in the conference as an OC is VERY important to defensive coordinators conference wide...

Louisville would be a great fit. The problem is that it doesn't add media since Kentucky is already in the SEC and they don't want to double up on any more states. They may have to, though, since the ACC is looking like it's not getting raided. WVU, Mizzou and Louisville may be the SEC's route to 16 teams.

I almost feel bad for these OU people. They have convinced themselves that a Big 12 (without Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou) is still the 2nd best conference in the country - if they add TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and WVU.

They continually point to the fact that OU, OSU and Texas are all ranked in the top 10 (with KSU and Baylor also in the Top 25), and proclaim that alone makes them a better conference than everybody except SEC.

There's a Longhorn fan on the UW boards who thinks the BigXII will be stronger than it was with the substractions and future additions. I was ridiculed for saying I felt the old Big 8 was more top heavy/elite than the new BigXII. It's kind of funny... I think Texas and Texas fans just wants an almost Texas league.

There's also somebody saying the new BigXII contracts will net each school $26million yearly. :lol:I don't see how the networks would do that with a weakened BigXII and an unstable conference with Tejas pulling their stunts, but I think it will be interesting to see how it unfolds...

Either way I'd love to see the BigXII stay together for a long time, assuring that Texas never joins and ruins the Pac.

cinci and tcu have been to BCS bowl games in the last 2-3 years. and that's nice. and, truth be told...that's more football success than CU, ATM, and NU combined. however, they bring nothing else and there's not a lot of historical upside to any of those programs....all private schools that aren't anywhere near the main media pull in their region or state. low alum bases. don't give you swaths of the Louisiana Purchase as your geography, either.

That argument makes good sense, at least for now. In fact, FWIW Sagarin currently ranks the Big 12 as the top conference when you take into account the number of teams, although this also takes into account current member A&M. But adding the 4 schools listed above would bring the conference down from an overall perspective.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm

cinci and tcu have been to BCS bowl games in the last 2-3 years. and that's nice. and, truth be told...that's more football success than CU, ATM, and NU combined. however, they bring nothing else and there's not a lot of historical upside to any of those programs....all private schools that aren't anywhere near the main media pull in their region or state. low alum bases. don't give you swaths of the Louisiana Purchase as your geography, either.

FYI: Cincy is not a private school.

Back