What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tell me the differnce

lvbuff

Bill Yoeman put together the veer offense in 1964...then the wishbone developed and from that the Ibone...etc...etc. So now we see a lot of teams playing the spread option. Isn't this the same offense with a different read point?

Basically. The concept is the same, just executed differently. You pretty much are requiring a defender to commit to taking out a potential ball carrier. That is who gets "read". Usually it is somebody on the end of the LOS. The effect is twofold, theoretically a player commiting to tackling the diving FB ina triple option wishbone for instance, is more effectively removed from the play than a blocked player. Secondly, you are playing 11 on 11 since the QB is a threat to run also. In the spread, where the QB is a run/throw option, it can be even more difficult to defend. Of course, the problem with the spread is the red zone, where the amount of field to defend gets compressed. The Veer and the Wishbone generally didn't have that problem because they were man-rule drive block systems that were as effective on the goal line as the middle of the field. But then again, fall behind by 13-17 points in a game running the veer or the bone and you were pretty much done.

difference between then and now?

Generally:
1. The defenses you are facing.
2. The fact that the pass is a viable and dangerous threat.
3. The formations the concepts you mentioned are run out of are now spread out instead of compacted in.

Coach Mac has said that the spread option is the natural progression of the offense he ran when Hagan was our QB.

It's just too bad Mac didn't figure it out back then instead of switching to more of a Pro attack and letting Tommy Frazier go to Nebraska instead of CU.

Coach Mac has said that the spread option is the natural progression of the offense he ran when Hagan was our QB.

It's just too bad Mac didn't figure it out back then instead of switching to more of a Pro attack and letting Tommy Frazier go to Nebraska instead of CU.
I still think the option game is the way to go at the CFB level. Practice time limitations make it a viable offense. The WCo is great for getting high talent players, but the WCO is so difficult to implement on a 20 hour a week practice schedule, you continually hear about how the O will be simplified. It works at the pro level since they have a great deal more practice time. Having said that, I will take the Embo WCO approach over the D II Dan "surely there is an offense somewhere my son can run at the BCS level".

the offense that Mac ran with kordell --- if you go back and look at the highlight tapes-- it is very much a precursor of the spread/ read-option offenses you see today. the one big difference, in my opinion, is that Mac had the guards lined up way, way off the LOS so that they could basically act like lead blockers for rashaan by pulling and such. hell, they are almost 2 feet off the LOS and behind the center. i wonder if the refs would even allow that config today.

the offense that Mac ran with kordell --- if you go back and look at the highlight tapes-- it is very much a precursor of the spread/ read-option offenses you see today. the one big difference, in my opinion, is that Mac had the guards lined up way, way off the LOS so that they could basically act like lead blockers for rashaan by pulling and such. hell, they are almost 2 feet off the LOS and behind the center. i wonder if the refs would even allow that config today.

this is the point i was going to make. in the old option attacks the guards were essentially pulling on every play to block LB's in the open field, ahead of the ball carrier. also, the option w/out the throwing effectiveness died because team speed on D got much greater and sideline to sideline it was harder to beat teams who were in effect playing 4 and 5 LB's were harder if not impossible to beat to the corner.

look how few points the Big 8 teams scored in the Orange Bowl over the late vintage wishbone/option years into the 80's. NU saw the light with Turner Gill and then Tommie F. but, OU got stymied a few times by Miami's freakish athletes with no pass game and wasn't like we ran it up and down the field against ND either time.

Back