What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

That was a "WTF" game

The middle of the field was given to us. You know- the area where you typically throw to the tight end. We desperately need to develop a TE threat. We can't allow opposing defenses to ignore that part of the field.

Seam pass would have been there. But did we have the personnel to exploit it last night? Maybe instead of going 5-wide empty, they could have lined Ento up so that by formation he looked like a TE but then had him run that seam route?

That was the key for the UCLA defense last night. Their front 4 were awesome. Allowed UCLA to play 2-deep at safety so the corners could press our receivers knowing they had help over the top. LBs were also dropping out to cut off the passing lanes and create very tight windows. What that left open and the Buffs did not exploit enough were the short passes to the backs and receivers. I would have liked to see a lot more going on with RB, WR and even TE screens to slow that rush and suck up those LBs and Safeties to the line of scrimmage. They were basically giving that stuff to us.
Lindsay caught 11 passes.

The middle of the field was given to us. You know- the area where you typically throw to the tight end. We desperately need to develop a TE threat. We can't allow opposing defenses to ignore that part of the field.
I think Irwin can catch, but he is needed for blocking purposes.

Lindsay caught 11 passes.

Yep. That was what was working. But he was the only guy they threw to in that way.

Also, should have been 12. He was the guy who was wide open when Sefo short-armed/had-the-ball-slip/had-brain-short-circuit and tossed it 10 yards short to the LB, right?

OL got beat like a drum. Credit Mora, I don't think he's a great head coach but he knows how to coach defense and some of the studs they have recruited in the front seven of that defense are much better than we've seen or potentially have.

That being said, old Sefo popped up again. He scares the hell out of me. He's largely avoided it this year but that's the Sefo we saw year 1-3 as a buff starting QB. He's look great in spurts and then when the game was on the line, he would just chuck the ball to other teams, high, low, any where but the WR. We need the OC's to mitigate Sefo going back to himself.

Spoon was still visibly favoring his right leg. I'm not sure why they brought him back in.

1) Agreed. There were barely a factor. Even the announcers were laughing.
2)You could not tell what they were saying on TV. I had to explain it and even then the group still said, "Nah, you can't tell."

This was my take as well. It's a glorious moment when you figure out that you don't have to keep taking punches because you can doll it out the same if not better than what you are receiving. It's an even better feeling when you know you can reciprocate, feign a strike, stop, smile and just walk away. That will stick with them more and likely piss them off. Moeller's hit is the perfect example. Look at him once and then just walk away. No need to say anything but leave with a big **** eating grin and do it again on the next play.
I wonder where Harold Ward is these days. He was a bully punk in elementary school. I bet I could kick his ass now. I wonder if he ever got out of prison?

Last edited:
FS1 crew (Wannestadt, et al) made a post-game observation that it looked like the Buffs didn't quite know how to handle their success. They opined that since this team didn't have previous winning seasons, and now being ranked, that it was a big change in mentality for the team.

If true I guess this is just one more step in the learning process.

FS1 crew (Wannestadt, et al) made a post-game observation that it looked like the Buffs didn't quite know how to handle their success. They opined that since this team didn't have previous winning seasons, and now being ranked, that it was a big change in mentality for the team.

If true I guess this is just one more step in the learning process.

Might be something to that. Always good when you can learn while you win, too. (y)

Side note, has anyone seen a football team dance (especially the ST) as much as UCLA did last night during stoppages on the field? I feel like they were even doing it when they were down. I didn't understand it and it was annoying. I almost hate them as much as the neighbors next door solely off that game last night. Doesn't help that I don't like their basketball team either (Gonzaga fan).

Side note, has anyone seen a football team dance (especially the ST) as much as UCLA did last night during stoppages on the field? I feel like they were even doing it when they were down. I didn't understand it and it was annoying. I almost hate them as much as the neighbors next door solely off that game last night. Doesn't help that I don't like their basketball team either (Gonzaga fan).

A couple were dancing on a 3rd down with about 13 seconds left

Sefo has me worried over the last 2 games. He has been holding onto the ball wayyyy too long and also doing his roll out to the right he has been notorious for the past few seasons. On his 2 interceptions receivers were wide open for at least 2 seconds before he decided to throw the ball.

That was the key for the UCLA defense last night. Their front 4 were awesome. Allowed UCLA to play 2-deep at safety so the corners could press our receivers knowing they had help over the top. LBs were also dropping out to cut off the passing lanes and create very tight windows. What that left open and the Buffs did not exploit enough were the short passes to the backs and receivers. I would have liked to see a lot more going on with RB, WR and even TE screens to slow that rush and suck up those LBs and Safeties to the line of scrimmage. They were basically giving that stuff to us.
They started using Lindsay for that a bit, think he had more receiving than rushing, not sure on that. It's kind of an extension of the running game in a way.

Sefo has me worried over the last 2 games. He has been holding onto the ball wayyyy too long and also doing his roll out to the right he has been notorious for the past few seasons. On his 2 interceptions receivers were wide open for at least 2 seconds before he decided to throw the ball.
He was probably a little rattled. He gets his ass beat the hell up and eats it like candy. Probably messed with his focus some.

This is the real Sefo. Was that way last year, and for the most part this year. I don't see it changing.

OL got beat like a drum. Credit Mora, I don't think he's a great head coach but he knows how to coach defense and some of the studs they have recruited in the front seven of that defense are much better than we've seen or potentially have.

That being said, old Sefo popped up again. He scares the hell out of me. He's largely avoided it this year but that's the Sefo we saw year 1-3 as a buff starting QB. He's look great in spurts and then when the game was on the line, he would just chuck the ball to other teams, high, low, any where but the WR. We need the OC's to mitigate Sefo going back to himself.
Old Sefo/New Sefo is same Sefo. The OL and the time they give Sefo to throw is the presiding issue. When they are crushed he looks bad. He will look all world against UA. Because the OL will be able to handle UAs front 7. He should look great against WSU in my opinion. I'm scared of what will happen against UU, UW, and (if we win the UU game and UW is undefeated coming into the CCG) either OSU or UM.

But so what? Team is maturing. We are not Alabama. And they have already exceeded my expectations.

Back