What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

I think Charlie Strong is a college version of Wade Phillips or Norv Turner. Some guys are better suited to be coordinators than HCs. Tom Herman's a really good coach/recruiter in my opinion. He's a little in over his head there-I think he's .500 against both Oklahoma State and TCU-and that ain't gonna get it done at Texas. If I'm South Carolina's AD and he's available, I'd take a look at him.

Observations on Texas-If they move on from Tom Herman, they're only doing it if they know they're getting Urban Meyer. I also don't think Matt Campbell would go there. I think he's pretty happy at Iowa State (dude's practically a god in Ames as it is), and I think when he does move on-he's going to a Big 10 blueblood (Michigan?). Mario Cristobal would flop there-he's had the same problem at Oregon (losses to teams he shouldn't lose to) that Herman has at Texas. I think PJ Fleck's act would wear very thin down there really quickly. If I'm their AD, the backup candidate to Urban has to be Kyle Whittingham in my opinion.
I actually agree on Herman, I could see him doing well down the line and I would love to have him at CU if we were open.

cristobal lost to a good auburn team in Dallas and at ASU late in the year. He still won the conference and the rose bowl, albeit sort of a lucky win against Wisconsin. Judging him this year is really hard, imo. Lots of players lost on the line and a top 5 QB and then they went from having probably the best secondary in the country to a bunch of young guys with the opt outs. They were going to rely on their defense until that happened. I really like his recruiting emphasis, especially on the lines which is where you really separate yourself in college football.

I agree that Campbell might not look at texas that hard but he will take a big time job in the big ten sooner rather than later. No one is happy in Aimes and he knows he needs to leave if he is going to win a national championship. I really want him to go to Michigan because I think he could get them back to competing with Ohio state and college football is better when those two are playing for a spot in the playoff after thanksgiving.

There are also people moving to Texas because of the relatively low cost of living and lack of state income taxes. They may be looking just because they want a new place to live.

I actually agree on Herman, I could see him doing well down the line and I would love to have him at CU if we were open.

cristobal lost to a good auburn team in Dallas and at ASU late in the year. He still won the conference and the rose bowl, albeit sort of a lucky win against Wisconsin. Judging him this year is really hard, imo. Lots of players lost on the line and a top 5 QB and then they went from having probably the best secondary in the country to a bunch of young guys with the opt outs. They were going to rely on their defense until that happened. I really like his recruiting emphasis, especially on the lines which is where you really separate yourself in college football.

I agree that Campbell might not look at texas that hard but he will take a big time job in the big ten sooner rather than later. No one is happy in Aimes and he knows he needs to leave if he is going to win a national championship. I really want him to go to Michigan because I think he could get them back to competing with Ohio state and college football is better when those two are playing for a spot in the playoff after thanksgiving.

Cristobal's a good coach and a hell of a recruiter. I don't see that hire going over well with that fanbase though-Firing Herman and staff will run them $24m. Cristobal's buyout last I looked is $9m. If I'm their AD, I look hard at Whittingham if I can't get Meyer. Still think the only way that job opens is if Chris Del Conte is 100% sure he's getting Urban.

Cristobal's a good coach and a hell of a recruiter. I don't see that hire going over well with that fanbase though-Firing Herman and staff will run them $24m. Cristobal's buyout last I looked is $9m. If I'm their AD, I look hard at Whittingham if I can't get Meyer. Still think the only way that job opens is if Chris Del Conte is 100% sure he's getting Urban.
Wittingham would have the same buyout of 9 million if he left.

Wittingham would have the same buyout of 9 million if he left.

He also has an undefeated season and three Pac 12 south titles to his name. I'd spend $30m plus on hiring him. I wouldn't on Cristobal-especially with the loss to ASU last year and the game Friday night.

He also has an undefeated season and three Pac 12 south titles to his name. I'd spend $30m plus on hiring him. I wouldn't on Cristobal-especially with the loss to ASU last year and the game Friday night.
He has two pac 12 south titles and an undefeated season 12 years ago in a G5 conference which doesn’t seem very relevant. So cristobal has one less division title and one more pac 12 title in way less time. I really like wittingham as a coach but jimbo would mop the floor with him on the recruiting trail down in Texas.

He has two pac 12 south titles and an undefeated season 12 years ago in a G5 conference which doesn’t seem very relevant. So cristobal has one less division title and one more pac 12 title in way less time. I really like wittingham as a coach but jimbo would mop the floor with him on the recruiting trail down in Texas.

You're correct. They were co-champs with USC in 2015 but got punked by the Trojans.

Not in the running is he?
He wasn't on the list that Thamel tweeted, no. If I'm their AD, I'm looking for somebody who is going to A) do something weird offensively or B) has connections there. Monken, Calhoun (his Howdy Doody act would play really well in Nashville), Niumatalolo (I'm sure I spelled his name wrong), FHCMM, or Penn State DC Brent Pry.

He wasn't on the list that Thamel tweeted, no. If I'm their AD, I'm looking for somebody who is going to A) do something weird offensively or B) has connections there. Monken, Calhoun (his Howdy Doody act would play really well in Nashville), Niumatalolo (I'm sure I spelled his name wrong), FHCMM, or Penn State DC Brent Pry.
Run the option.

His record at that school is anything but mediocre - some data for comparison:

-Barney was 10 games under .500 at NU & had 2 winning seasons - and he was a god because he won a conference title (8 seasons, 2 winning, lost both bowls).

-Walker was 8 games under .500 in his time there and was also a god due to his conference title (like barney, also like barney only 2 winning seasons, also lost both bowl games).

-Northwestern had 6 winning seasons from 1964 to 2006

-Fitzgerald has 9 winning seasons since 2006.
He's 104-80 at a school with a historical win % around .400 with out him.
Has 9 of the schools 15 Bowl seasons.
Has 4 of the 5 bowl wins in school history.
Has 3 of their 5 10 win seasons.

PS - My father went to school there so it used to get talked about.

Fair post.

So mediocrity is overstating it, but I think it is worth noting his conference record is 62-60 overall. Not at all bad, but not killer either.

The bowl game metric is hard for historical comparisons because bowls used to be a LOT harder to make.

Just looked at an Arizona board... they suspect if they lose Sumlin will be fired on Sunday or Monday

Back