What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Where are they getting the cash for the next guy?

Arizona is not even close to a desirable job.
Also interesting to consider, and I don’t have any idea as to the answer, but are the players loyal to Sumlin? Are they gonna go play out of their minds to keep him or lay down to get rid of him? I guess Saturday will tell us, unless UA player social media reflects a trend one way or another.
I mean, we should win either way, but interesting to me anyway.

Going to be rough for a while there but they should take a risk on a young up and comer who is known as a recruiter. Atleast he can get the roster better for the next guy. So basically the opposite of MM lol

Brennan from San Jose State.

That is funny-but that epitomizes why Texas is what it is right now, and that's also why I think its Urban or they don't do anything. Recruiting isn't the issue-Herman has put three straight top 10 classes (all of which were tops in the Big 12) together. The politics are the issue there-and they need a guy who has the resume to keep their boosters in line. None of the backup candidates fit that bill.

Last edited:
Going to be rough for a while there but they should take a risk on a young up and comer who is known as a recruiter. Atleast he can get the roster better for the next guy. So basically the opposite of MM lol

If I'm Arizona and Tom Herman is available, he's my first call.

Tom Herman is not that desperate.

Here's my point-Herman's a damn good recruiter, and the way he's worked his team through George Floyd and the Eyes of Texas controversy make me think he'll excel in a situation with less politics than the one he's in right now.

I don't think he'd go there, but I think you've gotta ask if you're Arizona.

Here's my point-Herman's a damn good recruiter, and the way he's worked his team through George Floyd and the Eyes of Texas controversy make me think he'll excel in a situation with less politics than the one he's in right now.

Yeah, and I think Vanderbilt has to ask Steve Sarkisian

Where are they getting the cash for the next guy?

Arizona is not even close to a desirable job.
If I'm Arizona and Tom Herman is available, he's my first call.

Tom Herman is not that desperate.
A realistic assessment of their place in the college sports world, be it basketball or football has never been a strong point for Arizona fans.

They think of themselves as a basketball blueblood and as a football program that should be looked at as top tier in the PAC.

In their minds Herman should be wanting to come to the desert and they should have other options pop up as well.

A realistic assessment of their place in the college sports world, be it basketball or football has never been a strong point for Arizona fans.

They think of themselves as a basketball blueblood and as a football program that should be looked at as top tier in the PAC.

In their minds Herman should be wanting to come to the desert and they should have other options pop up as well.

Good post. They're not Vanderbilt-Rich Rod was there for six years and he had them in bowls 5 times.

Not saying they shouldn't try or that Herman would but Arizona has tried this twice now with RichRod coming out of Michigan and Sumlin out of A&M. Maybe they should try something new.

But you are pointing out one of the best stretches in the history of their football program.
I might be-but that's still not as bad a job (if it opens-I read on their boards that Sumlin likely would get an extra year because of the pandemic) as Vanderbilt. Still think they can do better than Brent Brennan.

I might be-but that's still not as bad a job (if it opens-I read on their boards that Sumlin likely would get an extra year because of the pandemic) as Vanderbilt. Still think they can do better than Brent Brennan.
Vandy is awful but Arizona is rough too.

I also don't think Arizona fans believe they belong at the top of the conference (for football). I think they are pretty grounded in reality that their football program sucks

Can somebody give me a cliffs notes explanation of the “eyes of Texas” controversy?
TL;DR version: Players and others students on campus had objected to the “The Eyes of Texas” this summer and sought to have it replaced as the school song, citing its roots in early 1900s minstrel shows.

Vandy has a couple advantages over Arizona - location and lack of expectations. Vandy fans know their place in the SEC. They want to win, but they aren’t willing to do the things necessary to compete with the likes of LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and A&M. So they accept a lot of losing. Nashville is a bajillion times better than Tucson. That said, it’s easier to win at UA. You don’t have the same kind of academic restrictions and the conference has more winnable opponents. Vandy should look for a guy in his late 50’s, early 60’s who is looking to finish out his career. (MM really would be a good choice here). UA should be looking for a dynamic young ace recruiter who will stock the cupboard and move on (I envision Chev taking a job like this in a few years assuming he continues his current trajectory).

TL;DR version: Players and others students on campus had objected to the “The Eyes of Texas” this summer and sought to have it replaced as the school song, citing its roots in early 1900s minstrel shows.
Thanks for that. What a mess. It’s no wonder that program can’t get its **** together. I mean, I’d want it replaced because it’s a stupid song that sounds like “I’ve been working on the railroad”. But that’s just me.

Vandy has a couple advantages over Arizona - location and lack of expectations. Vandy fans know their place in the SEC. They want to win, but they aren’t willing to do the things necessary to compete with the likes of LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and A&M. So they accept a lot of losing. Nashville is a bajillion times better than Tucson. That said, it’s easier to win at UA. You don’t have the same kind of academic restrictions and the conference has more winnable opponents. Vandy should look for a guy in his late 50’s, early 60’s who is looking to finish out his career. (MM really would be a good choice here). UA should be looking for a dynamic young ace recruiter who will stock the cupboard and move on (I envision Chev taking a job like this in a few years assuming he continues his current trajectory).
mood GIF

MM not getting a HC coach job right now. If he had a chance at another improving season at Ole Miss his name might be in the hat but he is headed in the wrong direction right now to jump to SEC. Someone like him though - on the coach side of coach/recruiter. Arizona just need to get talent back in their program.

Richrod recruiting rankings:
2012: 42
2013: 44
2014: 31
2015: 43
2016: 48
2017: 45

Sumlin rankings:
2018: 61
2019: 56
2020: 59

mood GIF

MM not getting a HC coach job right now. If he had a chance at another improving season at Ole Miss his name might be in the hat but he is headed in the wrong direction right now to jump to SEC. Someone like him though - on the coach side of coach/recruiter. Arizona just need to get talent back in their program.

Richrod recruiting rankings:
2012: 42
2013: 44
2014: 31
2015: 43
2016: 48
2017: 45

Sumlin rankings:
2018: 61
2019: 56
2020: 59

You do know they hired the guy Jay Cutler played for in college from Furman, right? Vanderbilt isn't a typical SEC job.

Can somebody give me a cliffs notes explanation of the “eyes of Texas” controversy?
A professor at UT decided that the song was racist because Robert E Lee once said “the eyes of the south are on you” and someone once painted their face black and sang the song in 1903.
Now the band refuses to play the song and many of the athletes are refusing to stand for it after games.
I have read the lyrics and can’t find anything racist at all, but that might be my Italian privilege.
(it feels to me like when the #metoo movement went a bridge to far).
Needless to say the Texas faithful are furious as the song means a lot to a lot of very rich donors.
After reading about it, I believe that there is NO way that Urban Meyer steps into a racially charged situation. It is going to be tough to fix because these situations don’t seem to lend themselves to compromise

Back