What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

While I agree with the first sentence, there are some pretty damn good academics in the PAC-12. Cal is certainly one of the best engineering schools in the country. UCLA has a really good pre-med program, as does Washington. CU is ranked in the top 10 in Aerospace Engineering. With the exception of Stanford (as you mentioned), the other P12 schools aren't on par with the Ivy's....but we're not recruiting against the Ivy's, either.
Speak for yourself! @MtnBuff LOVES when recruits we're after have Ivy League and Academy offers.

I understand that. Michigan is a damn good school too. So are Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, and Georgia. All rank very highly among public universities, along with UCLA and Cal. Can you spot the difference, however, between those schools and our academic powerhouses in the PAC12? They recognize the value of elite athletic programs, while we believe it is beneath us.
You had me until Georgia. While we all know how well the SEC does on the grid iron, I wouldn't put them on par academically with the P12. ACC has some pretty damn good schools w/ the Yellowjackets, the Blue Devils and the 'Heels. I don't disagree with your premise, but more disagree with your use of the word 'delusional'. It wasn't too long ago where the P12 was both thought of with high academic schools and with football powerhouses. Got to get back there, as you imply.

Speak for yourself! @MtnBuff LOVES when recruits we're after have Ivy League and Academy offers.
Actually I do like Academy offers. I just want to see the guys who have offers from service academies and from other P5 schools.

I like smart football players but I want guys who can play who are smart, not smart guys who can't play.

Our current staff seems to prefer guys who are neither but are easy to sign.

You had me until Georgia. While we all know how well the SEC does on the grid iron, I wouldn't put them on par academically with the P12. ACC has some pretty damn good schools w/ the Yellowjackets, the Blue Devils and the 'Heels. I don't disagree with your premise, but more disagree with your use of the word 'delusional'. It wasn't too long ago where the P12 was both thought of with high academic schools and with football powerhouses. Got to get back there, as you imply.

It's absolutely delusional to think that stellar academics and athletic achievement can't co-exist. Sadly, many Pac-12 institutions feel that way and believe that competitive football programs drag a university down rather than lift them up, if utilized properly. Nowhere did I say that the top tier Pac-12 schools weren't academic powerhouses. However, we do have an arrogance problem in our conference that's preventing us from competing athletically, as evidenced by your second sentence.

It's absolutely delusional to think that stellar academics and athletic achievement can't co-exist. Sadly, many Pac-12 institutions feel that way and believe that competitive football programs drag a university down rather than lift them up, if utilized properly. Nowhere did I say that the top tier Pac-12 schools weren't academic powerhouses. However, we do have an arrogance problem in our conference that's preventing us from competing athletically, as evidenced by your second sentence.
I will admit it's pretty tough to get into many P12 schools because of their academic requirements, if that's what you're referring to. So are you're suggesting as a solution that the P12 schools lower their academic requirements to let football players qualify who wouldn't otherwise (or that they should have a special exemption in order to play in the P12)? Based on my recent research (I have a graduating HS senior so we've been looking), the requirements to get into most SEC schools are not as rigorous as most P12 schools. Is that arrogance? It's certainly an advantage for the SEC from a recruiting standpoint.

I will admit it's pretty tough to get into many P12 schools because of their academic requirements, if that's what you're referring to. So are you're suggesting as a solution that the P12 schools lower their academic requirements to let football players qualify who wouldn't otherwise (or that they should have a special exemption in order to play in the P12)? Based on my recent research (I have a graduating HS senior so we've been looking), the requirements to get into most SEC schools are not as rigorous as most P12 schools. Is that arrogance? It's certainly an advantage for the SEC from a recruiting standpoint.

For reference, I've worked in higher education for 15 years now, including the last 5 at USC. So I have a little experience here. Acceptance rates have little to do with academic requirements. The primary reason most schools are hard to get into is way too many applications for the available number of spots. At UCLA, they received nearly 140,000 freshman applications for 2021. So when only 14% are accepted, people look at that and say "Ooh, they must be a great school." Sure, UCLA is a very good school, but is it Harvard? Not remotely. Conversely, UGA only received about 40,000 applications for roughly the same number of spots. So looking at acceptance rates tells you almost nothing about how academically rigorous a school is.

And schools already make exceptions for athletes. Always have, always will.

For reference, I've worked in higher education for 15 years now, including the last 5 at USC. So I have a little experience here. Acceptance rates have little to do with academic requirements. The primary reason most schools are hard to get into is way too many applications for the available number of spots. At UCLA, they received nearly 140,000 freshman applications for 2021. So when only 14% are accepted, people look at that and say "Ooh, they must be a great school." Sure, UCLA is a very good school, but is it Harvard? Not remotely. Conversely, UGA only received about 40,000 applications for roughly the same number of spots. So looking at acceptance rates tells you almost nothing about how academically rigorous a school is.

And schools already make exceptions for athletes. Always have, always will.

Are you implying that more people want to live in LA than Athens?

I recognize it is not the same as academic rankings, but due to the hope grant, UGA is pretty hard to get in.

He's having a bad season, but his recruiting is worse than his record this year.

So glad. He's a total douche.
Yup,

Quick translation of his coach speak.

"Our team sucks and our recruiting really sucks so I don't want to talk about it."

While I agree with the first sentence, there are some pretty damn good academics in the PAC-12. Cal is certainly one of the best engineering schools in the country. UCLA has a really good pre-med program, as does Washington. CU is ranked in the top 10 in Aerospace Engineering. With the exception of Stanford (as you mentioned), the other P12 schools aren't on par with the Ivy's....but we're not recruiting against the Ivy's, either.
CU does :(

Whaaa???
#11 Public

#14 Public

#27 Public

Other than Berkeley and UCLA (and UDub in the Forbes) there’s not a Pac-12 public that can sniff Georgia.

Whaaa???
#11 Public

#14 Public

#27 Public

Other than Berkeley and UCLA (and UDub in the Forbes) there’s not a Pac-12 public that can sniff Georgia.
Lol what? Washington is at 20 on the usnews list you provided. You are also doing only public schools with excludes Stanford and USC.

Lol what? Washington is at 20 on the usnews list you provided. You are also doing only public schools with excludes Stanford and USC.
K. Vanderbilt.
point being someone trashed UGA as an academic institution as evidence the Pac-12 takes academics more importantly than the SEC.

K. Vanderbilt.
point being someone trashed UGA as an academic institution as evidence the Pac-12 takes academics more importantly than the SEC.
What does Vanderbilt have to do with what you said about Washington and Georgia? The Pac 12 does take academics more seriously than the SEC, there isn’t really a question about that.

what the presidents of these universities don’t get is that they will consistently lose ground to these schools in the SEC if they don’t invest in football.

Yeah guys, if you’re dogging the academic rep of U. Georgia, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Same with Florida. These are flagship schools in huge, populous states where their respective state governments are dumping a ton of public support into them.

The state of Colorado provides $5 bucks and ****ty regents.

UGA and UF are very good schools. I don’t know who was bashing UGA, but that’s just wrong. The SEC as a whole might not put a lot of emphasis on academics when it comes to admitting players, but many of the individual schools are very highly respected. That includes UGA, UF, A&M, and yes, even Alabama. These are not a bunch of community colleges.

Back