What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Who do you think USC should hire and why then? Franklin's the only way they make a splash. Fickell IMO stays at Cincy.
My guess is that Franklin really wants the USC job and maybe only leaves PSU for SoCal. I think USC wants to at least feel out Urban’s situation and once they’re convinced he’s not leaving Jax after the season they’ll ultimately hire Franklin.

My guess is that Franklin really wants the USC job and maybe only leaves PSU for SoCal. I think USC wants to at least feel out Urban’s situation and once they’re convinced he’s not leaving Jax after the season they’ll ultimately hire Franklin.

I think you're right-he reminds me a bit of Carroll.....but maybe its the stuff he's done with Keegan Michael Key. The Big 10 East is the toughest division in football-OSU is one of the three best programs in the game, Michigan's a blue blood, Penn State's had success, and Tucker's obviously building something at MSU. I could easily see him being like I have a much easier path to championships in the Pac 12-whose best team is a soft as **** Oregon program.

If I'm USC I'd throw everything I have at Lincoln Riley. Might make sense from his perspective too.

I'm going to set the number of FBS head coaching changes at 29.5. I'll let @manhattanbuff set the price.

How many ex-coaches can Saban fit into his Rehabilitation Program?
Fail Cosmo Kramer GIF

Word is that Franklin is about to sign an extension with PSU, expected to happen this week.

Seeing elsewhere Dykes will be announced as TCU's head coach tomorrow.

Only 39 miles separate TCU and SMU. I don't know where Dykes lives, but that has to be one of the be best ways to move up. He probably doesn't even to sell his house.

Sometimes things just run their course and 8 years is a long time in one place for most coaches. He’s still one of the top coaches in the profession.

Who is on your short list for USC?

I'll give you a long list. Some long shots for sure, but make them say "no" three times. USC shouldn't have to go below #5.

1. Pete Carrol - as per your comment, his time in Seattle has run its course.
2. Matt Ruhle - rumors that he misses college football.
3. Lane Kiffin - with some marriage counseling, make the impossible possible.
4. Luke Fickell - biggest problem is that UC might make the playoffs making this guy off limits for all teams. Might be a culture fit problem.
5. Bill O'Brien - his arrogance is big enough to successfully pull off the HC gig at USC.
6. PJ Fleck - there are enough USC billionaires to buy out his contract. U of M job is infinitely harder than PSU job and Fleck has killed it everywhere he's coached.
7. Mario Cristobal - Westcoast version of Franklin, too much of a choker, but he is a known quantity on the west coast.
8. David Shaw - same as Pete, he needs a new job.

Absolutely needs to be a top notch recruiter to go against Kirby. Cristobal or Tucker seem like the only ones that would check that box. Maybe lane?

Are we going to see more and more coaches in college try to move to the NFL because they don't like recruiting and what recruiting has become in CFB?
What do you think has changed in recruiting that would cause that? I’m not saying that you’re wrong. I’m just curious about what you mean.

What do you think has changed in recruiting that would cause that? I’m not saying that you’re wrong. I’m just curious about what you mean.
Well, one, I don't think recruiting is a very desirable part of the job to begin with, but I think the NIL stuff, the transfer portal, and the lack of parity and consolidation of talent, is making it even harder and more frustrating for the non blue bloods.

Well, one, I don't think recruiting is a very desirable part of the job to begin with, but I think the NIL stuff, the transfer portal, and the lack of parity and consolidation of talent, is making it even harder and more frustrating for the non blue bloods.

I agree on NIL, but I have an alternative view of the portal. I believe the portal will generally be a benefit to 2nd level and below football programs. The tier 1 programs won't be able to stockpile as much depth, they will lose a number of 2nd string and depth players to schools where those guys will have more value. Alabama will pick up talent here-and-there to fill holes like the WR from OSU, but I think they lose more quality players than they gain like the RB that Saban was whining about last week.

Teams like CU will have the opportunity to improve the talent/depth of the team via the portal. CU and teams at the same level might lose a top player, from time-to-time but should be able to fill in a much deeper roster. Guys like Wray, Barnes and Lamb were net depth gains when you consider the guys that transferred out after last season. Another way of putting it is that teams like CU have very little to lose in the portal whether it is guys transferring out or missing on guys transferring in.

The Buffs made the Huskies cry Update

Open jobs:

Florida- Dan Mullen is out. (h/t CUAviator) This is a surprise to me, I thought he would do well there. Greg Know interim (h/ DeNiro) Mullen turns down opportunity to coach the UF-FSU pillow fight.

Troy- No the other one, Chip Lindsey out (h/t DeNiro)

Akron- Tim Arth out, (h/t DeNiro) 3-24 overall, replaced on an interim basis by Oscar Rodriguez. UPDATE: Eddie George could be the man (h/t DeNiro)

TCU- Gary Patterson gets the heave ho. (h/t BCS and Duff). Rumors abound TCU may do a coaching drive by on SMU and snatch up Sonny Dykes. (h/t ahoelsken) Jerry Kill to take over in the interim. (H/t DeNiro)

WSU- Nick Rolovich fired for cause over vaccination status. (h/t BCS) Bringing out some of the best recriminations between the antivaxxers and branch covidians yet.

Ohio- Frank Solich retires at the end of the year after 16 successful years as the Bobcat HC. (h/t Deniro) Health related retirement. Good for him to leave on his own terms.

USC- The big one. (h/t Deniro, also check Jens' USC Fires Clay Helton megathread). Mike Bohn is on the clock. My guess is Fickell, and then Franklin, in that order. UPDATE- Apparently, Mike Tomlin is not interested (h/t AlbasterYak)

FIU- Butch Davis is a gonna hang it up at the end of the year and retire.

LSU- Ed O out. (h/t Carolina Buff), apparently when Ed O isn't covering up sexual assaults and turning in unsatisfactory W-L records, he is propositioning random women at gas stations, unfortunately, the last lady of the pump was an LSU muckety-muck's wife. (h/t 14er). Who's gonna be? Melvin? Dave Aranda? Jakes Franklin? Joe Brady? Billy Napier? Ed O's buyout is $17M (h/t Creebuzz), about a dollar more than luminaries like HCKD. I would say Ed O will retire and go into broadcasting, but.....Lincoln Riley? (h/t Albaster Yak) UPDATE: Add UK's Mark Stoops to the list (h/t CarolinaBuff)

UMASS- Fires their HC, (h/t BCS) Walt Bell out. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: AZ DC Don Brown a top name. (h/t DeNiro)

UW- Jimmy Lake fired. (h/t DeNiro, Serenity, Duff) $9.9Million payout. Justin Wilcox, come on down. UPDATE: Add Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda, Joe Moorhead and Kilani Sitake to the list (h/t Albaster yak)

VT- Hokie dances in the streets, Justin Fuente shown the door (h/t Jens). Dave Clawson may be the leader in the clubhouse.

Idaho- Paul Petrino out. (h/t SewallBeach)

Filled Jobs:

Ohio- Tim Albin gets the job (h/t ahoelsken).

Georgia Southern- Bold move and hired Clay Helton (h/t Alabaster Yak)

Texas Tech- Bailer AHC and LB coach Joey McGuire hired (h/t DeNiro)

UCONN- Randy Edsall, Out. (h/t Deniro) Fmr. UCLA HC Jim Mora in (h/t DeNiro and CUAViator)

Possibles:

Utah- Kyle Whittingham rumored to be contemplating retirement. (h/t Nik)

NMSU- Doug Martin stinking up the joint. (cuz DeNiro said so)

Georgia Tech- Geoff Collins struggling again cuz DeNiro said so, hereafter abbreviated as CDSS,

CSewe- Steve Addazio not dude enough CDSS

Duke- David Cutcliffe may retire CDSS

BGSU- Scot Loeffler, depsite pantsing PJ Fleck, may be on his way out. CDSS

Tulsa- Phillip Montgomery living on borrowed Tulsa time. CDSS.

Miami- Manny Diaz may not be the man. CDSS.

ASU- Herm Edwards has some pretty flagrant stuff hanging over his head, hard to believe it doesn't cost him.

N. Texas- Seth Littrell siting at about .500

UNLV- Arroyo 0-12. (h/t ahoelsken)

kNU- Frosty probably done before the end of the year according to Steve Sipple. Not so fast my friend, trev Alberts restructures Frosty's contract and announces he will be back for 2022 (h/t DeNiro) OC Matt Lubick, OL Greg Austin, RB Ryan Held, and QB Mario Verduzco sacrificed that Frosty may coach another day. No word on if Herbie has been put on an ice floe.

fUCLA- Chip Kelly may have worn out his welcome in Westwood. (h/t AlbasterYak).

Other news:

ND- Brian Kelly isn't going anywhere (h/t CarolinaBuff)

Oregon St.- DC Tim Tibesar fired for failing to adequately defend the Beaver. (h/t DeNiro)

Urban Meyer- Gets his freak on after visiting the grand kids.

Mizzou- fires DL coach midseason, an impossibility I am told. (h/t Deniro)

Okie Lite- Gundy leverages a perpetual extension (h/t AlbasterYak)

James Franklin- Switches agent to Jimmy Sexton for moving and or pay raise negotiations (h/t nik) Franklin wants out of Happy Valley, reportedly (h/t Nik)

CU OL- Coach Rod fired, now embarking on second career in ebay sales.

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

UT- Jeff Banks dispatching his stripper GF and her monkey on the recruiting trail (h/t Jens)

Minny- PJ Fleck gets a bigger boat to row with an extension and raise (h/t Albaster yak) PJ Fleck's contract is upped to $5Million, 7 years. (h/t DeNiro)

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

No. Ill.- HC Thomas Hammock extended (h/t DeNiro)

Nasser St.- Melvin Huckster takes down a new contract $8million a year (h/t Serenity)

Illinois- DC Ryan Walters extended

Miami- AD Blake James out (h/t DeNiro)

USF- DC Jeff Scott served up on a platter (h/t DeNiro)

BUYOUTS- A staggering $80.6 million so far (h/t Hawg1) That is the equivalent to 6 and one-half minutes of federal spending.

I agree on NIL, but I have an alternative view of the portal. I believe the portal will generally be a benefit to 2nd level and below football programs. The tier 1 programs won't be able to stockpile as much depth, they will lose a number of 2nd string and depth players to schools where those guys will have more value. Alabama will pick up talent here-and-there to fill holes like the WR from OSU, but I think they lose more quality players than they gain like the RB that Saban was whining about last week.

Teams like CU will have the opportunity to improve the talent/depth of the team via the portal. CU and teams at the same level might lose a top player, from time-to-time but should be able to fill in a much deeper roster. Guys like Wray, Barnes and Lamb were net depth gains when you consider the guys that transferred out after last season. Another way of putting it is that teams like CU have very little to lose in the portal whether it is guys transferring out or missing on guys transferring in.
Agree about the portal, but in general, I think coaches at bigger programs could become jaded about it all when they just can't keep up with Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State year after year in recruiting, making it nearly impossible to compete with them on the field.

Also, while I think CU can benefit from the portal for sure, I think the real beneficiaries are the tier 2/3 programs like Michigan State, who can pull in legitimate talent who can be immediate impact P5 players. Barnes, Lamb, Wray, Shrout, Toll and Fenske were/are good depth pieces for CU, but none of them were good enough to force their way onto the field for a 4-8 team.

I'll give you a long list. Some long shots for sure, but make them say "no" three times. USC shouldn't have to go below #5.

1. Pete Carrol - as per your comment, his time in Seattle has run its course.
2. Matt Ruhle - rumors that he misses college football.
3. Lane Kiffin - with some marriage counseling, make the impossible possible.
4. Luke Fickell - biggest problem is that UC might make the playoffs making this guy off limits for all teams. Might be a culture fit problem.
5. Bill O'Brien - his arrogance is big enough to successfully pull off the HC gig at USC.
6. PJ Fleck - there are enough USC billionaires to buy out his contract. U of M job is infinitely harder than PSU job and Fleck has killed it everywhere he's coached.
7. Mario Cristobal - Westcoast version of Franklin, too much of a choker, but he is a known quantity on the west coast.
8. David Shaw - same as Pete, he needs a new job.
If those Rhule rumors are true he would kill it at LSU or USC iMO.

Maybe the demand to win now without the tools available in college football to get there but I think a lot of what you say is bad (transfer portal, NIL, etc) is way worse in the NFL. Player holdouts, free agency, the union and players who are more important to the program than the head coach. If you, as a head coach, can't handle a player getting upset and transferring, I don't think you'll last long in the NFL.

For parity, that really only matters if the expectations of the fans and AD are that you compete with the tOSU and Alabama's of the world and I think those expectations are on a very small number of schools in the country. Many coaches in the college ranks have long careers at a school without ever needing to compete with the blue bloods.

Back