What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The last 7 guys we need to land

Hey guys, let's all put this in perspective. I know some are panicking this time of year and I hope we get a good amount of your top 7's, but let's not be discouraged if we get two, one or none. Why?

Look back over the last few years. Remember where we were?!? Look it up and try not to drop tears.

By Scout:
2009 class ranked 57th (Highlighted by Kasa...)
2010 class ranked 70th (Hawkins' last year. Stumbled onto PRich, Beat out Harvard for Hirschman...)
2011 class ranked 62nd (Embo scrambled to put together his 1st class, 4* Asiata and good production and potential so far from this class)

2012 class - Currently we're ranked 37th (7th in Pac12) and will add another 7ish players. So we could end up in the high 20's or at about 40. But my point is that we are seeing improvement. We may not get many or any 4* guys this year, but we have 17 3* guys and many of them were offered by good BCS schools.

I strongly believe we will see improvement each year. I'm thinking we win at least 5 or 6 games next year and see recruiting improve again. We're on our way back boys!

I love that the rhetoric on this board is identical to that of the Hawkins era. It warms my soul. We enjoy the privilege of experiencing the year each and every single season! What a gift! We won three games this year, to be sure, but we have clearly arrived at the crossroads. CU will be a powerhouse in no time. Four and five stars don't matter because we don't have any (what a fortunate coincidence!). Extend Hawkins now. Hallelujah

Last edited:
I'm excited to see many of the guys we have coming in. Mainly because for the first time in years they were actually recruited by legit schools and we are not closing with a class of kids that we beat Southwest East Nebraska Automotive for the players.

We made huge strides in many spots we needed. Yes it could have been better, and there is still a chance that it will be if we can get Rippy and 1 or 2 CB that we are after.

We had 1 PAC season where we were able to show CU to players that really had no idea who we were. We should be better next year and get to show more players what CU has to offer when we play on the west coast.

After the last 5 years of DII I think we are moving in the right direction. I will start to panic if we fail to recruit better next year.

Sit down Rando!

I posted Hawk's classes to show what a hole we are having to build out of. It is tough to win now when the last coach brought in a bunch of D-1AA players! I would hope that CU could get at least a mid ranked Pac12 class and have some momentum going into next year.

Are y'all leaders of the Pessimistic Party Comity?

You would think the last 6 years would have taught you something...oh well...continue on your tour of the blind followers of mediocrity.

I just hope that those that missed the train will be jealous in a couple of years...and sometimes these kids need to realize you go to the program that has the better coaching and prepares you for the next stage in their life - that being the NFL or becoming a good person. It is not about going to a winning program always. Mine plays club ball and we have choices - but in the end the better coaching is the way to go!

i find these threads (and they pop-up constantly) really interesting. i agree comparing this year's recruiting to last year or two of hawkins is hard to do because he was essentially lame duck and the program was still losing. people say embo and coaches are top notch recruiters, so they should recruit above our recent history and record. yet to be seen but if we go on recent history this class should be a lot worse. i think people discount the longer the losing keeps going the HARDER it is to get highly ranked guys here. but then again, it's Embo and staff, and their 1st full year so they should be able to get some guys, and so we go...back and forth. hard to stay patient but based on rankings you have to wait until NSD is over and then look. and then you have to wait to see who actually gets into school, and then you have to wait a year or two to see who actually contributes. so, impossible to sit here and do a lot of analysis unless you only put stock into the * ratings of classes and where we sit today...of course we all want better rankings, the admin. isn't doing any favors by not announcing any facility upgrades, but it is what it is. i amnot 100% sold on embo but he's who we have and have to hope for the bext and try and stay positive. if we win less than 6 games next year the pressure and criticism is gonna go thru the roof..

I think for a team that finished 3-10, a top 40 class should be considered a success. Win 7 games next year, and the recruiting will improve more.

I think for a team that finished 3-10, a top 40 class should be considered a success. Win 7 games next year, and the recruiting will improve more.

I'd go a half step further. We're a 3-10 team, in a new conference, with a geographically weak recruiting base, that hasn't been good in 10 years. We all think of CU as the program described in Buffnik's signature line, but to an out of state 17 year-old we looks different.

a key that seems to not get nearly as much message board time as rankings is scheme and player development. hawkins and crew sucked at this. seemed like few guys really got better and we had a new offense every year. HOPE this turns the corner with Embo, he's had a year now and hopefully the biggets jump is between year 1 and 2.

Agree 100%. A team needs to get solid guys that can play at this level...it appears we are achieving that. Of course you do not really know until 3-4 years down the line. I would love to have a class of 4 and 5 star players...but it is not an easy sell. The staff has to sell the future and direction of the program and it takes a leap of faith on the part of recruits. Overall I feel very good about the players that have given a verbal commitment to CU and the players we are still pursuing.

That's 1 out of the 7 I wanted. I see we just lost Cyburt to UCLA. If we get Crawley and Yuri my top 7 will be looking fairly good.

Agree completely. I'd love to see us with 7 wins next year but honestly don't know if we have the horses to do it yet. Coming off Hawk and a 3 win season we do have to show tangible improvement. 7 would be great but even 5 would let the coaches show some players that we are headed the right direction.

Also important to minimize embarrasing losses. We have to win the games we are supposed to and be more competitive in the games we aren't supposed to win.

In no particular order

DB- Yuri Wright
DB-Kenneth Crawley
DB-John Walker
LB- Deaysean Rippy or Seth Jacobs
DE- Ewing Simmons
TRansfer WR- Mike Davis
TE- Jalen Cope Fitzpatrick

Looks like we are now recruiting the TE from Texas Hobbs would take him or JCP.

Yuri Wright- concerned how quiet his recruitment has become.
Kenneth Crawley- fingers still crossed but i have good feeling about this one.
Deaysean Rippy or Seth Jacobs- We have a better chance of landing Deaysean, but WVU interest in him could be a problem.
Ewing Simmons- like this kid pass rushing moves, i like our chances
JCP- 50/50, we are also recruiting Hobbs.

Last edited:
Looks like we are now recruiting the TE from Texas Hobbs would take him or JCP.

Yes. It is important that we never prioritize one recruit over another because they are equal...

Are you kidding me? One kid has been recruited for the last 8-9 months by this staff and has been a major recruit for Pac-12 schools. The other is a kid you had no idea existed until earlier this week and is very likely to commit to Texas next week anyway.

Yes. It is important that we never prioritize one recruit over another because they are equal...

Are you kidding me? One kid has been recruited for the last 8-9 months by this staff and has been a major recruit for Pac-12 schools. The other is a kid you had no idea existed until earlier this week and is very likely to commit to Texas next week anyway.
Doesn't matter, they're both TE's. As long as we get one of them, along with one of Wright/Crawley/Jeffrey Hall to play CB, this class is a success...

surrender before the battle wow. Untill hobbs signs with Texas or commits with Texas, CU is still the running for his signature.

Exactly. Our best case scenario here is that JCF signs with CU and Hobbs signs with CU Prep-Austin Campus.

I think I am liking Ewing Simmons and Chris Solomon more now. I just can't wrap my mind around how these DE's are all going to see the field in the next few years. I guess you recruit the best players and figure out away to get the best out of them once they are in the Black and Gold.

I think I am liking Ewing Simmons and Chris Solomon more now. I just can't wrap my mind around how these DE's are all going to see the field in the next few years. I guess you recruit the best players and figure out away to get the best out of them once they are in the Black and Gold.
Its called a dline rotation, should be happy we are actually gonna have one finally. I dont know all these guys end up on the dline but im guessing most of them will. Never really know until they start playing with some guys anyway.

I understand DL rotation but 10 guys from one class is a little extreme. It will be tough to sell playing time to future recruits when they look at that depth chart in front of them. More likely is that 5 of them end up RS so they are spread out. I have no problem with it. I am happy to see some guys on the DL for once with some stars next to their name.

I understand DL rotation but 10 guys from one class is a little extreme. It will be tough to sell playing time to future recruits when they look at that depth chart in front of them. More likely is that 5 of them end up RS so they are spread out. I have no problem with it. I am happy to see some guys on the DL for once with some stars next to their name.

My guess is that 2 won't make it in and 2 more will end up playing OG.

Solis, topou, Hennington, Rasmussen, Jagne, Kofovalu, Wilson,Stuart

Then hopefully Simmons

Nogard will move to FB

Thats potentially 9 DL recruited, not extreme in my opinion, considering the lack of depth at the position currently on the roster. A couple of guys will be redshirted, i don't believe we will take a DL next cycle so that we can balance the classes. Even OL recruiting is not as dire as most will believe. In the last 2 classes the staff has brought in 7 OL, Kelly, Cotner, Mustoe, Nembot, Lewis,Kough, Irwin. And i can see a couple of the DL converting to other positions, for Example Stuart can also play TE, Topou can also play guard, Kofovalu can also bulk up to play OL.

We have some good DL recruits in this class. We are bringing in a lot in one class.

But a blue chip DL recruit is not going to be scared of the competition.

Back