What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor - did he make a mistake?

Dude just fulfilled his lifelong dream of getting drafted to the NBA and some dudes ask if he made a mistake. Okay. #smh

Given that Spencer is still in position to get guaranteed money, I don't see how this thread asks a very hard question. If he had gone undrafted, well, yea, then you could ask it for sure. Now the dude is gonna make $500k this year to rehab and then work his way into the rotation! If that was a mistake, I want to make that kind of mistake!

I see some folks are having difficulty with the whole concept of the sports bulletin board website.

A simple "no", would suffice from some of you knuckleheads. And if that's the case, then at what point would it have been a mistake? You know, we are allowed to discuss this stuff. It's not against the rules or anything.

I see some folks are having difficulty with the whole concept of the sports bulletin board website.

A simple "no", would suffice from some of you knuckleheads. And if that's the case, then at what point would it have been a mistake? You know, we are allowed to discuss this stuff. It's not against the rules or anything.

ha, way to turn it around on us. And you think we have difficulty with the concept of a sports message board.

ha, way to turn it around on us. And you think we have difficulty with the concept of a sports message board.

Honestly, what I was hoping for was a discussion of whether he could have made more by coming back another year based on the expected make-up of the draft next year. While there has been a little of that, mostly it's just been a bunch of jagoffs who would have been better served to ignore the thread altogether if they thought it was that stupid. I ignore 99% of the soccer threads for that very reason.

People keyed in too much on the specific language of your question. A better way to have put it is "would he have had a better outcome if he stayed a another year?"

Honestly, what I was hoping for was a discussion of whether he could have made more by coming back another year based on the expected make-up of the draft next year. While there has been a little of that, mostly it's just been a bunch of jagoffs who would have been better served to ignore the thread altogether if they thought it was that stupid. I ignore 99% of the soccer threads for that very reason.

He got drafted. There was no mistake. He is doing what he loves and eill get paid for it. He now has access to better rehab, trainers, facilities, and coaching. The only thing he doesnt have is his degree.

No reason to drag soccer into this crappy thread. /flops

The thread needs a few more soccer, hitler and conspiracy theory references to turn the corner.

I think he would have been in better shape if the whole neighborhood of underclassmen hadn't also declared this year. Didn't make the first round, could have used him with the Buffs for another year in a big way. But I think he made a good move. Among other things even repaired, the clock is ticking on that knee.

I think he made a mistake, and would have been better served showing off that his knee was fine next season, and then getting listed in a weaker draft.

That said, I'm so happy for him that he made his dream. I can only imagine the feeling of striving for such a competitive goal and achieving it.

It was a mistake, but a minor one.

It was the right decision for pretty much any reason you can think of.

Best thing is he went to my Pistons. Could be a ton of PT available at some point next year. If the team tanks (which they will because it's a terribly built roster), one or all of Jennings, Smith, and Monroe could be traded. One of Smith or Monroe is pretty much guaranteed to be gone if Smith doesn't agree to come off the bench or stop playing on the perimeter.

Honestly, what I was hoping for was a discussion of whether he could have made more by coming back another year based on the expected make-up of the draft next year.

Impossible to answer. No one had Embiid as a top 3 pick this time last year. No one this week would have predicted CJ Wilcox, Josh Huestis, & Bruno whatever as 1st rounders. Simply awful picks btw, could've been had later. If all of the NBA GMs were sane & intelligent then Spence would've been selected higher. There was no guarantee that he would've come back and raised his stock. It's just as likely that his stock could've gone the other way

It was the right decision for pretty much any reason you can think of.

Best thing is he went to my Pistons. Could be a ton of PT available at some point next year. If the team tanks (which they will because it's a terribly built roster), one or all of Jennings, Smith, and Monroe could be traded. One of Smith or Monroe is pretty much guaranteed to be gone if Smith doesn't agree to come off the bench or stop playing on the perimeter.

Smith can't be your "star". Need to clear him out.

I do like Andre Drummond a lot. You can win with him as your center.

I was on record saying he should stay, but when he made the decision I hoped for the best and landing in Detroit is a pretty good scenario. I am not sure he can be a true PG, but in a backcourt as a combo guard I think he can be really good. Its well known that Chauncey wants to be a front office exec, and I just have this feeling that he might have had something to do with this pick. Good Luck to the New Mayor of Detroit, you will be missed in Boulder

You know, if it was the right decision for him and he achieved what he was hoping for, a shot at the NBA, then it was the right decision. We look at it from a different set of criteria than he does.

Don't want to portend bad luck either but if he had come back and the knee had gone again he would have gotten absolutely zero NBA dollars.

With this even if he has another knee injury he will at least get to collect one years salary from the league (which is much more than one years salary for most of us.)

If anything in hindsight his only mistake was not going pro after last year. Draft prospects for 4-year college players look much different than they did two decades ago. He could play at CU another year and show what he can do on a healthy knee, but it comes at the risk that his mental focus is looking ahead with so much on the line personally and you never know what other injuries could occur versus taking the sure bet which is getting paid and starting to work toward greatness at the next level without waiting to do it another year older.

We can't change anything that happened but whatever Spencer decided should be the best decision for him to make. After the poise and maturity he showed as a young college student at CU we owe him the benefit of the doubt that he made informed choices. Now instead of asking what if, I will be cheering for him to represent Buffs basketball to a national audience that largely knows nothing about us.

Truth is that neither staying nor leaving was a bad decision. He seems happy and he'll be playing in the Association this year. Pretty cool.

I guess I'm a Pistons fan now.

Truth is that neither staying nor leaving was a bad decision. He seems happy and he'll be playing in the Association this year. Pretty cool.

I guess I'm a Pistons fan now.

Who do you root for between the pistons, utah and okc.

I root for Dre to have a 19 rebound game, Burks to go off for some 14-for-25 shooting night, and Mayor to poster someone on a drive where he fakes kicking it out but takes it all the way in himself, then jogs to the other end of the court with a two-handed stroke of the mustache for the camera.

I root for Alec, but think he's used wrong by Utah. So I'm not a fan of the team.

With OKC, I think they're a very likable team and will root for them along with Dre.

But Detroit is an organization I already liked. I'm a childhood fan of the Knicks, so I liked seeing them go the Van Gundy route. Pistons with Mayor will be my adopted team.

I was on record saying he should stay, but when he made the decision I hoped for the best and landing in Detroit is a pretty good scenario. I am not sure he can be a true PG, but in a backcourt as a combo guard I think he can be really good. Its well known that Chauncey wants to be a front office exec, and I just have this feeling that he might have had something to do with this pick. Good Luck to the New Mayor of Detroit, you will be missed in Boulder

In Detroit, Spencer can buy as many houses as he wants at a buck a house!

Back