What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor - did he make a mistake?

If you're talking about Josh Scott leaving for the NBA next year, it is very unlikely.

While he's a much better basketball player than most of the bigs being touted as 1st rounders next year, Josh's lack of athleticism makes him an unsexy target for NBA front offices. I do think he can shoot up draft boards either after this year or next in the pre-draft workouts.

If you're talking about Josh Scott leaving for the NBA next year, it is very unlikely.

For a guy like him, staying to develop his game doesn't seem to hurt draft status. Guys like Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan stayed in school. What Josh needs to show the NBA is that his body is developed and his post game is polished enough so that he can come in as an instant double-double guy for the next decade plus for whoever drafts him.

For a guy like him, staying to develop his game doesn't seem to hurt draft status. Guys like Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan stayed in school. What Josh needs to show the NBA is that his body is developed and his post game is polished enough so that he can come in as an instant double-double guy for the next decade plus for whoever drafts him.

I thought Howard came out after high school.

I don't think him staying would really hurt or help a whole lot. He's a great college basketball player. Probably the best big man in the Pac 12, and maybe a Top 3 Big Man Nationally. If he improves from last year (mainly just needs to get stronger like you said and handle the double team better), he has a chance to finish his career at #1 in overall rebounds and blocks and in the Top 5 in overall points in Colorado's history. Special, special stuff.

It's just he has very limited athleticism, that will hurt his chances of going in the NBA draft. Unlike with Burks, Roberson, and Dinwiddie hasn't gotten much press as far as the draft goes. I see him as the Big man equivalent of a Melvin Ejim. Could win Conference player of the year and accomplish everything at the College level that one could accomplish, and he's still not likely to get a lot of press for the draft. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't think him staying would really hurt or help a whole lot. He's a great college basketball player. Probably the best big man in the Pac 12, and maybe a Top 3 Big Man Nationally. If he improves from last year (mainly just needs to get stronger like you said and handle the double team better), he has a chance to finish his career at #1 in overall rebounds and blocks and in the Top 5 in overall points in Colorado's history. Special, special stuff.

It's just he has very limited athleticism, that will hurt his chances of going in the NBA draft. Unlike with Burks, Roberson, and Dinwiddie hasn't gotten much press as far as the draft goes. I see him as the Big man equivalent of a Melvin Ejim. Could win Conference player of the year and accomplish everything at the College level that one could accomplish, and he's still not likely to get a lot of press for the draft. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Slow down. The blueprint to beat him is out, Just throw a double at him. We need to see how he responds this season.

Slow down. The blueprint to beat him is out, Just throw a double at him. We need to see how he responds this season.

Some of that is on Tad with scheme. We need more player movement and cutters on offense. Less standing around. We need shooters spotting up where Josh can find them. But, yeah, Josh has to do his part better than he has.

Some of that is on Tad with scheme. We need more player movement and cutters on offense. Less standing around. We need shooters spotting up where Josh can find them. But, yeah, Josh has to do his part better than he has.

And tad knows it too, if I remember his post pitt loss presser correctly.

I think good defensive teams will be a challenge, until Tad changes up the offense. Hoping there will be some changes in that regard.

If josh takes the same step forward this off-season as he did last season, his name will be getting a lot more attention. Whether he leaves or not, I don't know. I think with him it really is going to depend on who declares for the 2015 NBA draft. I think XJ could be the bigger risk of leaving early, when he is on he is a force. Just needs to develop some consistency and maturity.

If josh takes the same step forward this off-season as he did last season, his name will be getting a lot more attention. Whether he leaves or not, I don't know. I think with him it really is going to depend on who declares for the 2015 NBA draft. I think XJ could be the bigger risk of leaving early, when he is on he is a force. Just needs to develop some consistency and maturity.

:bang:

You may not agree and that is fine. When he is focused and playing his game, he about as hard to stop as anyone. He lets the refs get in his head too often and tries too hard to show off at times causing him to press. He can score quickly and he can score a lot, something the NBA loves. There was a reason i qualified my statement with seeing how he progresses this off-season. He has a few mental deficiencies that if corrected, I believe would make him extremely tempting in the NBA.

If XJ leaves after next season, we are gonna win a lot of games because that means he is going to score and rebound a lot more than he did this past year.

see him as the Big man equivalent of a Melvin Ejim. Could win Conference player of the year and accomplish everything at the College level that one could accomplish, and he's still not likely to get a lot of press for the draft.

There's just no reasonable comparison here. Scott earned 1st team All-P12 in his soph yr. Ejim didn't avg more than 11 ppg until his age 22-23 season (he didn't play D1 the yr after high school) & didn't receive any comparable accolades until his 4th yr playing D1.

Last edited:
Good argument on both sides...

It's easy to look back now and say he should have stayed another year. I think he would have had a big year and a lot of pub in March Madness which could have skyrocketed his stock into a lottery pick.

Had he stayed and become a lottery pick, the team would have a bigger reason to get him in the lineup. Now he has to work his ass off and get a little lucky to earn PT and get that 2nd contract. Sure he's got money coming in, but in the big picture, taking home ~$500,000-$750,000 over the next 10 years (after taxes and agent) and never making the top 8 on an NBA franchise wouldn't be that great. There are A LOT of players at the end of an NBA bench, playing in the minors or overseas who are making a tiny fraction of the NBA starters salaries. And they are ALL hungry for the opportunity. I hope he makes it out.

Last edited:

With this a real possibility, I think everyone can better understand why it made sense for him to enter the draft.

Coming back, Mayor would have had 2 options:

1) Push it and risk re-injury or reduced performance.
2) Redshirt and enter the draft in 2 years.

Much better to put half a million bucks in your bank account while getting the best medical care in the world and eliminating the risk of not getting an NBA opportunity.

makes a lot more sense why he dropped into the second. Or maybe the pistons are trying to tank, again.

They need a lottery pick next year. They had a tough break on draft day this year that resulted in them losing their pick.

Pistons need to find a primary piece at the "3" or "4" they can build around. They've got to be thinking long-term.

From that standpoint, they may have looked at Spencer as the equivalent to getting a 1st round European talent in the 2nd round because he had a year left on his Euro league deal. Better to stash the talent and lose games this coming year for draft positioning and a brighter future.

Apparently the mayor got in trouble in practice today.

Got scolded for faking a dunk.

Immediately following the scolding, he got called for goaltending on a jump shot from Drummond.

Oops lol.

Funny what happens when people try to tell him he can't play.

makes a lot more sense why he dropped into the second. Or maybe the pistons are trying to tank, again.

Makes a lot of sense. With or without him the Pistons aren't going to be any good. If he plays and contributes they might win just say 5-8 games more. Not enough to get them to the playoffs or even respectable but enough to move them down the draft order 3-5 places greatly reducing their chances in the draft lottery.

Instead have him spend the year making sure that the knee is solid and he is fully ready to go the season after hopefully joining a star type player who they got high in the draft.

Back