What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pac-12 Is Increasingly A Have-Not

Or it goes something like this

- ESPN hitches it wagon to the SEC. As rumoured, they take the SEC Saturday afternoon slot from CBS, which will give them all SEC TV rights in addition to the partnership they have with the ACC for the ACC Network
- Fox hitches its wagon to the B1G and takes over the B1G rights ESPN used to have
- CBS, which balked at the 300m the ESPN is paying for the 15 SEC games that used to be on CBS, saves its budget for the new NFL contract and exits the college game

In this scenario the 2 biggest TV networks in the college game have blown most of their budget and filled most of their inventory a year before the P12 rights become available and the Pac-12 will battle the B12 for the scraps left on the table. With sports TV rights getting so obscenely expensive these days, the networks may start making budget decisions at some point and there're warning signs in other countries where the big boom in fees is over. Sports TV rights will remain valuable, but the networks may become more cost conscious and pick and choose what they want.

That’s pessimistic but if that happens I would think Texas and OU would have to bail on the Big 12 to combine the Texas and CA markets with everything else to gain leverage. I think that’s too big for networks to ignore.

But even if the networks don’t want to pay them, Amazon has dabbled with streaming sports and is trying to expand its Prime subscriber base—-Netflix also reportedly has considered streaming sports but hasn’t pulled the trigger.

Even if the conventional distribution options don’t work out (which I would be surprised if that happened) their are still other means of distribution that could be lucrative.

I don't get why the B1G would be interested in KU, their football program is nothing and they'll never have an emphasis on football. I get that Rutgers and MD got in which in hindsight was a terrible decision but the B1G was only looking to get into the NYC and DC markets. But it seems that conferences are realizing that the strategy of making expansion decisions strictly on markets.

I don't get why the B1G would be interested in KU, their football program is nothing and they'll never have an emphasis on football. I get that Rutgers and MD got in which in hindsight was a terrible decision but the B1G was only looking to get into the NYC and DC markets. But it seems that conferences are realizing that the strategy of making expansion decisions strictly on markets.
Because KU brings a blue blood hoops program that generates as many eyeballs as most P5 football programs

Because basketball. And that basketball program provides plenty of inventory for the B1G Network. KU is also AAU, which the B1G cares about, and is in an adjacent state. Make no mistake though - if the B1G were to go after KU, their first choice to go with them would be Oklahoma, and many OU peeps have been lusting after a OU + KU to the B1G shindig for a long time.

Anybody post this yet? USC saying "everything is on the table" in regards to dealing with the money deficit. Interpreted on other message boards as holding the PAC hostage for a larger cut of the pie or moving to another conference.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...Scott-independent-leave-conference-144248076/

I wonder how much leverage USC is going to lose as the Rams and Chargers gain more of a foothold in LA with SoFi Stadium opening this year. If USC leaves and UCLA stays, we just back fill with San Diego State.

I’m just not sure we add enough for it to make sense for them to go to 16 and think we’re significantly more interested than they would be.

I think our best shot is for the P12 to figure out a way to add OU/UT.

You need to think like a president not an athletic director. CU would get an invite to the B1G if the B1G knows CU is interested. Their just retired commissioner did hint at CU when announcing they would expand which ultimately was Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland. The latter two wouldn’t have made it to the B1G if judged on recent football success. I am not worried about the B1G rejecting CU at all.

OU, UT, and TT are capable of moving to the P12. Oklahoma State will have to present a serious plan to improve their research level ranking before getting admitted into the PAC. If it was solely undergrad academics then what is Arizona State doing in the PAC? Turns out their post graduate research programs are on par with the PAC. That is what counts not the quality of undergraduate programs. This is the typical misunderstanding that fans have when it comes to determining conference membership.

Read Frank the Tank’s blog on conference realignment should be mandatory reading for college football fans out there.

Anybody post this yet? USC saying "everything is on the table" in regards to dealing with the money deficit. Interpreted on other message boards as holding the PAC hostage for a larger cut of the pie or moving to another conference.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/A...Scott-independent-leave-conference-144248076/

As I said in post #10 in this thread, the possibility of USC bolting the Pac 12 is not without support. CU needs to be prepared if there is a conference blow up in 2024.

I often wonder how it is that the schools in flyover country are so much wealthier than the Pac 12.

As I said in post #10 in this thread, the possibility of USC bolting the Pac 12 is not without support. CU needs to be prepared if there is a conference blow up in 2024.

I often wonder how it is that the schools in flyover country are so much wealthier than the Pac 12.
Better leadership in negotiating TV deals.

This has been posted before, but here’s your answer:

$1mm in luxuries for the office and exec staff per school is important.

Where we really need to break the barrier is on the TV deal that pays the B1G & SEC (to a slightly smaller degree) nearly $20mm per school per year more than the P12.

This has been posted before, but here’s your answer:

My back of the envelope math is a $12.8M difference. I wonder if RG would say he'd like that $1M for Colorado that the conference pisses away. I suspect he'd find a more productive use for it.

I just find it odd that dynamic cities within the Pac 12 footprint like Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, L.A., Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake and Denver are being bent over and dominated by Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit and Omaha.

If I were the Pac 12, id be much bolder. I’d consider buying up the media rights to some of the other western conferences and try to dominate the entire western half of the country. I’d form my own network to rival ESPN, partnered with say Apple, withdraw from the NCAA, form a western athletic association, run a May madness basketball tournament, crown my own national champion in football drawn from only western schools. All the money retained by the member schools and Apple as media partner.

I like to dream big, even though I know most of you probably think I’m crazy.

Again, it's because fans care most in the Midwest and South. The PAC schools are all in places where people have lots of amazing options to spend their time and money on, especially when a team is bad. If you live in some absolute ****hole - anywhere, for example, that's east of Colorado, north of Kansas, south of the Dakotas and west of Iowa - people have ****ing nothing else in their life to live for.

Again, it's because fans care most in the Midwest and South. The PAC schools are all in places where people have lots of amazing options to spend their time and money on, especially when a team is bad. If you live in some absolute ****hole - anywhere, for example, that's east of Colorado, north of Kansas, south of the Dakotas and west of Iowa - people have ****ing nothing else in their life to live for.
Doesn't have to be a ****hole. What seems to help the most is not having NFL while having a community culture that loves football.

The Utes infused some better football culture into the Pac-12.

Boise State would, too. (I really don't care if their graduate research would be at the bottom of the conference. They fit culturally as a research university - not a military, agricultural or religious school.)

The Utes infused some better football culture into the Pac-12.

Boise State would, too. (I really don't care if their graduate research would be at the bottom of the conference. They fit culturally as a research university - not a military, agricultural or religious school.)

BSU's largest home game attendance, their school record for home game attendance, is <40k. Football culture is null if there are not enough people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albertsons_Stadium

BSU's largest home game attendance, their school record for home game attendance, is <40k. Football culture is null if there are not enough people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albertsons_Stadium
That is tied to current stadium size. The important thing is how much they care about football. At every level they've ever competed for decades, that university and their boosters have committed to winning championships. We need more of that in the Pac. Badly.

I do think they're doing something currently with a renovation that at least expands with additional premium seats.

I also found the plan of when they pitched themselves to the Big 12:
stadium-expansion-boise-state.jpg

No one cares about football culture when adding schools to a conference. You care about eyeballs around that school.TV markets. The big ten didn't add Rutgers because of the football culture

No one cares about football culture when adding schools to a conference. You care about eyeballs around that school.TV markets. The big ten didn't add Rutgers because of the football culture
The Big Ten did not have a football culture problem. The Pac-12 does. Too much of the conference is dominated by leadership that serves its constituents by making sure that women's diving is broadcast live so they can talk up diversity and being the Conference of Champions.

Also, adding a program that's in the Top 25 every year would elevate the reputation of the conference.

Back