What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pirate claims TG a scoundrel

Hahaha. I went through this for about a month and I was ****ing over it! I told my fiancée, “**** this, this is nonsense. I’m not paying $20K for an empty room because it’s industrial and some god damn food carts with chips and salsa. We’re going to Hawaii, I don’t know anyone I want to buy a $90 dinner for, let alone 100.”

So yeah, Maui it is next August. She tried pulling the **** with the save the dates, I told her to just pick one and be done with it. I run this establishment, for now.
My fiance is from Wisconsin, so if we got married in CO, she wanted it to be a mountain wedding. Not cheap at all, but fortunately her parents gave us a generous budget. Still, a lot of bull**** to pay for outside of venue, food and booze. It's a really stupid process and the entire wedding industry is a complete racket.

My fiance is from Wisconsin, so if we got married in CO, she wanted it to be a mountain wedding. Not cheap at all, but fortunately her parents gave us a generous budget. Still, a lot of bull**** to pay for outside of venue, food and booze. It's a really stupid process and the entire wedding industry is a complete racket.

I think we did pretty well, but our key was to not use "standard" wedding people to do a lot of things. It ended up being half the price and most times much better. For example we used Boulder Baked to make cupcakes at ~1/3rd the price of a wedding cupcake, bought "corporate schwag" for wedding gifts vs going to a wedding gift place, etc. It was still really expensive, but we looked at it more like a party for 75 of our friends, but we got out of there at ~$75/head all said and done.

Pitt State used to play Western State in Gunnison on a regular basis, and they'd always practice at our high school field before heading over to Western.

I think I was a 7th grader when I first saw them, and I remember being amazed at how big some of the guys were. And this was like D2 in the 80s.

I totally thought the Gorillas was the coolest mascot, too.
There wasn't a lot of steroid testing at that level back then. There were some massively strong meat-heads at those D2 schools all the way into the early 90's.

I think we did pretty well, but our key was to not use "standard" wedding people to do a lot of things. It ended up being half the price and most times much better. For example we used Boulder Baked to make cupcakes at ~1/3rd the price of a wedding cupcake, bought "corporate schwag" for wedding gifts vs going to a wedding gift place, etc. It was still really expensive, but we looked at it more like a party for 75 of our friends, but we got out of there at ~$75/head all said and done.
It's all the little things that start adding up that really bothers me. Photography, flowers, DJ, bridesmaid/groomsmen gifts, cake/dessert, videographer (yes, I know, don't ask), lodging accommodations, etc.

This.

We were both grad students at the time and determined to a. have our winter mountain wedding and b. pay for most of it ourselves. Found a reasonably picturesque church outside of Fraser (same denomination that we attended growing up, so easy (and cheap) to book), found a restaurant in WP (that did not normally do weddings), ordered flowers online, and didn't really get hung up about anything having to be "perfect." The only thing we went with someone from the "wedding industry" on was the photographer - even that was a "fried of a friend," and rather than doing a photo package, we paid a flat rate for her time and got a thumb drive of images to have printed and saved where we wanted. And we planned the whole thing while living in DC.

Including our airfare, ski-in/ski-out condo for the 5 days we were there and lift tickets for days we skied (because skiing is the whole ****ing point of a winter mountain wedding), all-in we ended up a little over $5k.

And if you ask us either one of us now, we'll both tell you that we should have gone to the courthouse/justice of the peace, taken the money and spent week or two skiing somewhere like Kitzbuehel, and then thrown a party at a park later that spring.

Hahaha. I went through this for about a month and I was ****ing over it! I told my fiancée, “**** this, this is nonsense. I’m not paying $20K for an empty room because it’s industrial and some god damn food carts with chips and salsa. We’re going to Hawaii, I don’t know anyone I want to buy a $90 dinner for, let alone 100.”

So yeah, Maui it is next August. She tried pulling the **** with the save the dates, I told her to just pick one and be done with it. I run this establishment, for now.
What on Earth are you talking about?

Hope you enjoy your 14 months of wedded bliss.

It's all the little things that start adding up that really bothers me. Photography, flowers, DJ, bridesmaid/groomsmen gifts, cake/dessert, videographer (yes, I know, don't ask), lodging accommodations, etc.
You: I need a photographer for a corporate event of about 100 people. We'll have an award ceremony and a party after; I need you to take pictures of everyone for about 4 hours.
Photographer: Sure, that'll be $1500.
You: I misspoke; this is actually a wedding but all the same factors apply.
Photographer: That'll be $5000.

You: I need a photographer for a corporate event of about 100 people. We'll have an award ceremony and a party after; I need you to take pictures of everyone for about 4 hours.
The Bride tax is huge, but it's there for a reason when it comes to photos. Good god did my wife go ape **** about the photos.

Posted this before...

My wife and I had a great wedding. Great venues, food, drinks and DJ. Easily a $50k wedding. If it was done on a traditional Saturday. We did it on Sunday. If I remember correctly, about $7,500. I don’t think anyone who attended cared one bit about a Sunday wedding.

And, most important, WE DIDNT DO IT DURING FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!:D

Early June.

But still, run!!!

That extra $3500 is to compensate the photographer for dealing with a bitchy bride and her horde of villainous bridesmaids and a mostly shell shocked groom and the completely wasted groomsmen that are constantly hitting on anything that walks by.

Key Phrase "for now". If you want to see a documentary on married life, binge watch "Married with Children". Us old married guys laugh with tears of pain in our eyes......

That’s why i said that lol. But she let me get an xbox and OLED TV last week so I’m still winning.

It’s a sham, that’s why we’re going to hawaii. Everything is so modest and the location is unbeatable.

That is the key, first time you say “wedding” they say, “oh that’s a 4X surcharge for weddings.

I’ve made cakes for weddings before (I have a culinary license on top of my actual degree) and I only charged like $300 and my friend was shocked because they were quoted like $1000 or something stupid.

This.

We were both grad students at the time and determined to a. have our winter mountain wedding and b. pay for most of it ourselves. Found a reasonably picturesque church outside of Fraser (same denomination that we attended growing up, so easy (and cheap) to book), found a restaurant in WP (that did not normally do weddings), ordered flowers online, and didn't really get hung up about anything having to be "perfect." The only thing we went with someone from the "wedding industry" on was the photographer - even that was a "fried of a friend," and rather than doing a photo package, we paid a flat rate for her time and got a thumb drive of images to have printed and saved where we wanted. And we planned the whole thing while living in DC.

Including our airfare, ski-in/ski-out condo for the 5 days we were there and lift tickets for days we skied (because skiing is the whole ****ing point of a winter mountain wedding), all-in we ended up a little over $5k.

And if you ask us either one of us now, we'll both tell you that we should have gone to the courthouse/justice of the peace, taken the money and spent week or two skiing somewhere like Kitzbuehel, and then thrown a party at a park later that spring.

You’re all just convincing me I made the right choice. I let her have her fun and I did at first until I saw the prices and I said absolutely ****ing not. We’re getting married in August in Maui, our wedding is costing us only $700 for the ceremony. Our entire total for food, alcohol, ceremony, pastor, flowers, photography and music is about $5,200. This isn’t skimping either...we have We’re getting married on the beach and sitting seaside for the reception. In colorado it was $5,500 on the low side and 8K+ on the high side to just RENT THE SPACE. I’ve never seen a bigger industry be such a total rip off.

This isn’t skimping either. We’re having shrimp and crab cakes for hors d'oeuvres. We have choices from salmon, swordfish, crab legs and many other seafood and poultry items and it’s a 4-5 star restaurant.

It’s going to run us about 10K for all of that plus 2 weeks in Hawaii. For 8 hours in Denver I was quoted $15,750 for 100 people for the ceremony and food only. **** this typical wedding stuff, it’s stupid.

Last edited:
Posted this before...

My wife and I had a great wedding. Great venues, food, drinks and DJ. Easily a $50k wedding. If it was done on a traditional Saturday. We did it on Sunday. If I remember correctly, about $7,500. I don’t think anyone who attended cared one bit about a Sunday wedding.

And, most important, WE DIDNT DO IT DURING FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!:D

Early June.

But still, run!!!
D’oh, I really should qualify that was 2003. I still think the point stands. If you want to ruin your life and get married and make the budget reasonable, take a look at Sunday.

D’oh, I really should qualify that was 2003. I still think the point stands. If you want to ruin your life and get married and make the budget reasonable, take a look at Sunday.

She despised the idea of a Sunday wedding. I don’t know about 2003 but I know that weddings now will make you bankrupt.

Didn’t seem to confuse anybody but you.
So a thread about Mike Leach is now about weddings?

Ok. I’ll play.

We spent about $5k in 1994. I can’t imagine what the cost would be today. Probably ten times that amount for what we did.

You notice, I did not mention Truly Superior; I'm sure she knows where they have been hiding for the last 27 years. As long as it's not in the garage taking room away from my tools and beer, I don't care.
We took them out last year. It was kinda fun. God, was that woman beautiful. Still is.

It was so much fun seeing the pictures of friends and family. We sent pictures of my niece and nephew to them and they got a kick out of it. They were just wee ones back then. My niece was the flower girl. She was absolutely adorable as she walked down the aisle and instead of just gently tossing out the flower petals she was smashing them into the aisle as hard as she could. It was adorable and hallarious all at the same time.

Back