What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"The pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes....

To be fair, Hawk started some good traditions too like the player walk to the stadium and touching the buffalo outside the field house. I really like those.

At the end of the day I could really care less what he does to our traditions if he started kicking ass in the B12 and winning NC's. Traditions are fun but winning is funner. Kick some ass and win some games Hawk!!

I don't get some of this talk. I went to every home football game while Klatt was quarterback and McChesney was playing. That team was mediocre(at best), and I was continually dissapointed game in and game out. We had no young talent, our position players made no impact, our secondary was the worst in the country (anyone remember Phil Jackson?), and Klatt could never win the big game against a big time opponet(or even play well for that matter). At least we have some talent now (Anyone notice Polk last game?). Klatt and McChesney produced far too few wins to be mouthing off like they are now.

Last edited:
I don't get some of this talk. I went to every home football game while Klatt was quarterback and McChesney was playing. That team was mediocre(at best), and I was continually dissapointed game in and game out. We had no young talent, our position players made no impact, our secondary was the worst in the country (anyone remember Phil Jackson?), and Klatt could never win the big game against a big time opponet(or even play well for that matter). At least we have some talent now (Anyone notice Polk last game?). Klatt and McChesney produced far too few wins to be mouthing off like they are now.

Interesting angle. I'd like to see where this goes.

Oh, also, you have to fight Unleash Hell now in some sort of hand-to-hand combat, except sometimes he brings a bow.

Welcome.

To be fair, Hawk started some good traditions too like the player walk to the stadium and touching the buffalo outside the field house. I really like those.

At the end of the day I could really care less what he does to our traditions if he started kicking ass in the B12 and winning NC's. Traditions are fun but winning is funner. Kick some ass and win some games Hawk!!

I could agree with that sentiment IF Hawkins were winning, but he's not. And the problem, is that stories like this tie in with some of the reasons why Hawkins results have been so ****ty, IMO.

He clearly sucks at motivating players. I don't need to see any further evidence on that. His teams have looked like walking cadavers in just about every road game for 3-1/2 seasons, and about 30-40% of home games as well.

There was an article in the DP a few months ago, around the start of the season, where GB and DH where contrasted by way of interviewing players who played under both. Several players provided quotes where they said DH simply did NOT get them fired up to play.

That's where tradition comes in. To motivate players. To get them to dig deep. To make them understand that they're part of something bigger. To understand that they don't just play for themselves, nor do they play for just their own teammates. THEY PLAY TO HONOR THOSE THAT CAME BEFORE THEM, AND THEY PLAY TO LEAVE A LEGACY FOR THOSE THAT WILL FOLLOW.

The stadium walk and touching the Buffalo......fine. I'm not saying don't do them, but these "traditions" have no connection to the past, since they were started by DH. This along with his no-emotion, business like approach have been yielding crap results for 4 years now. I wonder if DH has the insight to change before his time as coach runs out. The clock is most definitely ticking........

That's where tradition comes in. To motivate players. To get them to dig deep. To make them understand that they're part of something bigger. To understand that they don't just play for themselves, nor do they play for just their own teammates. THEY PLAY TO HONOR THOSE THAT CAME BEFORE THEM, AND THEY PLAY TO LEAVE A LEGACY FOR THOSE THAT WILL FOLLOW.

that.

He who knows only his own generation remains always a child.

I bet there are a lot of people here who can tell me where that saying is inscribed. I haven't personally seen it in years, but I know where it is and I know what it means.

He who knows only his own generation remains always a child.

I bet there are a lot of people here who can tell me where that saying is inscribed. I haven't personally seen it in years, but I know where it is and I know what it means.

It used to be at Norlin, but they changed it.

Isn't it funny that we all know that quote, though? So it may or may not have "he" in it. so what? The meaning doesn't change. That's my point. Generations of CU students have gone in and out of that library and have seen that inscription. At first, it doesn't mean much, but after you've been there four years, you start to get it. It means something. It's a common bond that all CU students share.

Mac's quote is the same kind of thing. I think it's a travesty that it's no longer in the locker room.

How about a sign that says, oh, how about "Be not the arrow, but the bow?" I bet that would fire this team up!!!

Somehow, I don't think 18 and 19 year old guys are very much into Zen.

Its amazing what winning will do for any situation, at any level. Fact is, we havent done that in quite sometime and we keep hearing the same bs excuses for it. The fire has already started and, every game we lose, that fire grows.

Somehow, I don't think 18 and 19 year old guys are very much into Zen.

See? this is what I've been thinking. Hawkins came to his spiritual realizations through all the experiences of his life, through key moments, "AHA!" points where he saw things differently...

These are all powerful experiences, but you can't just hand them to someone else and expect them to get it. Each person evolves in their own way, at their own speed and direction.

Personal philosophy cannot be one size fits all, and what he wants the team to catch up with his 40-some or 50 years of getting there.

Pump these guys up. Fire them up. Build their confidence, make them want to win, to be the winners you envision. But don't ask kids who have just left home to be able to have the maturity of someone who has lived a good portion of their life already.

Back