What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Refs

InTheBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Am I looking at this game through black and gold glasses ?

Personally I saw OPI on all three calls. Were they crazy obvious ? Especially on the third one I'd answer no but when I saw they replay it occurred.The hands to the face happened too. IMHO the worst call was the first of the personal fowls on Montez. I'll admit that was was ticky tacky.

I thought the last call was bad, but the ref was fooled by Oliver falling. The other OPIs were debatable, but not horrible calls. The hands to the face was evident.

Meanwhile, the refs also missed JayMac's catch, but that was correctable on replay. I'm still confused by the 1st INT, live I agreed with Montez that it was in Ross's hands and he's already on the ground, so how can it be ripped away? I never saw a definitive angle. Anyway, it was a perfect throw, unlike the 2nd INT.

As someone watching on TV, I believe you. According to the letter of the law, they were fouls. It was unnecessary for the first two, but it still happened. On the sideline pass you can see him push off...Even though it doesn't get called as much as it happens, that's still OPI. If that happened to my Buffs, I'd be upset....That's the nature of being a fan.

Montez got clocked out of bounds on the first play of the second half with no call. Should we be mad?

I plan on being overly sympathetic to CSU fans this week. "Oh yeah, you guys were so close. In fact, I'm going to write my congressman to see if you can get a half a win this week because you tried so hard."

Last edited:
Am I looking at this game through black and gold glasses ?

Personally I saw OPI on all three calls. Were they crazy obvious ? Especially on the third one I'd answer no but when I saw they replay it occurred.The hands to the face happened too. IMHO the worst call was the first of the personal fowls on Montez. I'll admit that was was ticky tacky.

The third OPI didn't happen, but because of the previous two the refs were more willing and ready to call anything that looked like it. The facemask call as Montez was getting sacked didn't happen, although I definitely thought it did by the way he went down. That head jerking motion that occurred during the tackle is typical of a facemask and is usually how it gets called.

I thought the last call was bad, but the ref was fooled by Oliver falling. The other OPIs were debatable, but not horrible calls. The hands to the face was evident.

Meanwhile, the refs also missed JayMac's catch, but that was correctable on replay. I'm still confused by the 1st INT, live I agreed with Montez that it was in Ross's hands and he's already on the ground, so how can it be ripped away? I never saw a definitive angle. Anyway, it was a perfect throw, unlike the 2nd INT.
On the INT, Ross never had control of the ball. It was sliding up his shoulder and that is when the defender pulled it away from him. It was a legit pic.

1st one was clear on replay, but is just not something called very often because refs usually favor the offense.

2nd one was hard to see well from that horrible replay camera, but 2 refs threw hankies on it.

3rd one was a push off, but looked very minor and like something that almost never gets called.

It wasn't bad officiating. It was unusual. Players have to adjust to how the refs are calling the game. It's like in basketball. When the refs are calling things a certain way you have to adjust to it. If you keep doing the same thing they've established they will call and keep getting called for it, it's on you.

1st one was clear on replay, but is just not something called very often because refs usually favor the offense.

2nd one was hard to see well from that horrible replay camera, but 2 refs threw hankies on it.

3rd one was a push off, but looked very minor and like something that almost never gets called.

It wasn't bad officiating. It was unusual. Players have to adjust to how the refs are calling the game. It's like in basketball. When the refs are calling things a certain way you have to adjust to it. If you keep doing the same thing they've established they will call and keep getting called for it, it's on you.

The 3rd one was a minor push off, amplified by Oliver tripping on the turf monster.

Come on Nik. That third call was horrific, no other way to say it. Something like that almost never gets called because it is not OPI.

On the INT, Ross never had control of the ball. It was sliding up his shoulder and that is when the defender pulled it away from him. It was a legit pic.
I saw a replay of it, I concur. Receivers need to tuck that bitch once they get a hold of it.

Come on Nik. That third call was horrific, no other way to say it. Something like that almost never gets called because it is not OPI.

There wasn't anything there, but the refs were apparently making a point about pushing off (maybe the PAC12 saw something CSU was doing in the previous game?) Because of how Oliver fell and the fact Gallup put his arm against Oliver, it probably "appeared" to be OPI. Not a good call, but my guess is that it wasn't just random.

There wasn't anything there, but the refs were apparently making a point about pushing off (maybe the PAC12 saw something CSU was doing in the previous game?) Because of how Oliver fell and the fact Gallup put his arm against Oliver, it probably "appeared" to be OPI. Not a good call, but my guess is that it wasn't just random.
This

I think you're being a little generous. Thought the 2nd and 3rd ones were pretty bad calls. Now, throwing the flag live and watching it multiple times in slow motion on tv are two different things, so I can understand that, but it was pretty bad.

How about the blatant double team holding that wasn't called that allowed CSU to get their only points? Refs were calling it both ways, but unfortunately for CSU, theirs came in crucial situations.

I agree. However, on the replay for the 3rd OPI it looked to me the Rams receiver didn't get his first foot in bounds. I had a bit to drink last night and they only played the angle where you could see his foot one time in the stadium, so I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

I left the game last night feeling we were the beneficiary of some bad calls.

All 3 PI's happened happened 15 feet in front of me and I can tell you the 2nd one was by far the worst. I have watched it on tv replay and you can't really see it from that angle but it was a blatant shove. 1st one was obvious, 3rd one didn't happen but it was bad circumstances, Gallup had his hand on him when he fell it looked bad in full speed.

I agree. However, on the replay for the 3rd OPI it looked to me the Rams receiver didn't get his first foot in bounds. I had a bit to drink last night and they only played the angle where you could see his foot one time in the stadium, so I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

I left the game last night feeling we were the beneficiary of some bad calls.
I had a "bit" to drink last night too, but had the benefit of multiple replays on that call - definitely not OPI, ref fooled by Oliver falling down, BUT receiver's foot was out of bounds on the catch.
I think the announcers said as much too.

I didn't see replays of them so I'm going by what those that were there saw. Nik makes a good point, especially if they are calling it tight, it's on you to adjust to that.

Interesting that there's differing opinions...from where we sat and stadium replays, 1st OPI questionable, 2nd definite, and 3rd was a terrible call.

What annoys me about this entire conversation though is that CSU fans now have something complain about. I feel relieved when we win, and a good part of that is that CSU fans are shut up for a little while. COULD they have won with better officiating? Sure, but they will talk now about how they WOULD have won with better officiating. That is not the case. I thought we were the better team.

Interesting that there's differing opinions...from where we sat and stadium replays, 1st OPI questionable, 2nd definite, and 3rd was a terrible call.

What annoys me about this entire conversation though is that CSU fans now have something complain about. I feel relieved when we win, and a good part of that is that CSU fans are shut up for a little while. COULD they have won with better officiating? Sure, but they will talk now about how they WOULD have won with better officiating. That is not the case. I thought we were the better team.
They always have something to complain about, unless we paste them. They've lost the last 3 and 4 out of the last 5, yet they will still run their mouth next year, when we will probably beat them again.

Even if I grant the 3rd one as a terrible call, the fact remains that the receiver didn't catch the ball anyway. Out of bounds. Very minor call in the game.

Even if I grant the 3rd one as a terrible call, the fact remains that the receiver didn't catch the ball anyway. Out of bounds. Very minor call in the game.

Disagree. That call was the differene between 3rd and short and 3rd and long. They did have to swallow the 15 yard penalty after all. It was a crucial part of the game because CSU's O was building some momentum at that point. I'm not saying CSU wins if the refs have a perfect game, but it definitely should have been a tighter game in the 2nd.

Refs could almost always call OPI. Weird thing is that they called it three times. Each of them will be defendable calls on film, but 2 of the 3 are things that happen all the time without a call. It makes you wonder what the refs were seeing off the ball each play with the receivers.

There was also a chop block against Moeller on one of those long runs that was never called.

I had a "bit" to drink last night too, but had the benefit of multiple replays on that call - definitely not OPI, ref fooled by Oliver falling down, BUT receiver's foot was out of bounds on the catch.
I think the announcers said as much too.

Thanks. I thought I saw his foot go out on the replay, but I also thought my judgement wasn't the best at that point.

I think you're being a little generous. Thought the 2nd and 3rd ones were pretty bad calls. Now, throwing the flag live and watching it multiple times in slow motion on tv are two different things, so I can understand that, but it was pretty bad.

How about the blatant double team holding that wasn't called that allowed CSU to get their only points? Refs were calling it both ways, but unfortunately for CSU, theirs came in crucial situations.

3rd one was terrible, at most the WR touched Olivers jersey but there was no push, no grab, on impact on his momentum in any way. The second one got called by two refs because there was a clear tug on the jersey. By the rule it was a foul but most crews would have ignored it. First one the DB was clearly thrown off stride, that one is a penalty.

At halftime CSU made an adjustment that seemed to involve grabbing anything they could to keep rushers from getting to Stevens. The holding in the second half was worse and more consistent than in the first.

Difference though is that PI is out where everyone can see it and complain. Holding in the lines is something most fans never see and wouldn't recognize if they did.

Very poorly officiated game but that wasn't why CSU lost.

I wonder if the refs were under an edict to look for OPI's early in the season to get a message out there that OPI's are on the radar and are going to get called?

csu lost because they couldn't run and CU ran well enough
csu lost because their play calling on offense was terrible - why they continued to throw deep when it was not working is beyond me as
other shorter passes seemed to be open all night

csu lost because they couldn't run and CU ran well enough
csu lost because their play calling on offense was terrible - why they continued to throw deep when it was not working is beyond me as
other shorter passes seemed to be open all night
They had two 4th and 5ish plays where they threw really low probability passes. I didn't understand those plays. One was closer to a 4th and 2 and they went downfield.

Back