What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The seed has been planted...

Just for the sake of the thread, I am assuming Karl Dorrell would be the first guy he would call.

Also, the difference between what we could pay him after the 2 years and what someobody else may pony up, say its $1.5 million, has to be SOMEWHAT offset by staying here, rocking the jewelry store ads, the restaurant, the house(s), etc. As much as I take a wait-and-see with Hawkins, this would make me VERY happy. Ticket sells would be through the roof, interest at an all time high, new fan base, etc, etc, etc. I love it.

There's that and the fact his offense is very complex for QBs. You only have a starting QB for 2-3 years, so the offense needs to be simplified for him to learn quickly.
true, but he has a track record of being able to teach his offense to QBs. Even in the bad years under him, the Broncos never had pathetic QB play. Hell, he got Brian Greise to have a 6 to 1 TD/INT ratio... If he is able to tone it back, I am confident he would find a way to teach it. Hell, can't be worse than hawk...

Also, the difference between what we could pay him after the 2 years and what someobody else may pony up, say its $1.5 million, has to be SOMEWHAT offset by staying here, rocking the jewelry store ads, the restaurant, the house(s), etc. As much as I take a wait-and-see with Hawkins, this would make me VERY happy. Ticket sells would be through the roof, interest at an all time high, new fan base, etc, etc, etc. I love it.

That. I wonder how many Bronco fans that don't watch college football would be turned onto CU.

Shanny made at least $7M a year from the Bronx and no doubt could get something not too far off from that if/when he returns to the NFL. How the heck could CU afford to even be in the discussion with a guy like that?

true, but he has a track record of being able to teach his offense to QBs. Even in the bad years under him, the Broncos never had pathetic QB play. Hell, he got Brian Greise to have a 6 to 1 TD/INT ratio... If he is able to tone it back, I am confident he would find a way to teach it. Hell, can't be worse than hawk...

Perhaps, I still would be worried about him attempting to simplify his offense, but it would be worth the risk. It would be interesting to see an actual Xs and Os coach on the sideline.

Shanny made at least $7M a year from the Bronx and no doubt could get something not too far off from that if/when he returns to the NFL. How the heck could CU afford to even be in the discussion with a guy like that?

The only way this is a possibility is that he is getting paid by Bowlen for the remainder of his contract while he coaches the Buffs.

He may not require 7 mil/yr. He might be happy coaching college for say $3 mil. and getting to stay in Colorado.

Well - that is the major worry. But if he is successful and turns into Pete Carroll, then the money will come. In addition, he has some personal reasons to stay here in Colorado (local endorsement deals, massive house he just built). Plus, he has an ego, and I could see him enjoying the challenge of rebuilding a college program and contending for a national championship (fingers crossed).

Has there ever been a coach to win both a National Championship and a Superbowl?

He may not require 7 mil/yr. He might be happy coaching college for say $3 mil. and getting to stay in Colorado.
Right. Way less hours, keeps relevance in Colorado with restaurant opening, doesnt have to take big loss on mansion he just built, etc. I dont know, but, seems at least plausible.

Well - that is the major worry. But if he is successful and turns into Pete Carroll, then the money will come. In addition, he has some personal reasons to stay here in Colorado (local endorsement deals, massive house he just built). Plus, he has an ego, and I could see him enjoying the challenge of rebuilding a college program and contending for a national championship (fingers crossed).

Has there ever been a coach to win both a National Championship and a Superbowl?

Jimmy Johnson

Is it possible that, with Shanahan being a big enough name in the state that he could actually get some of the limitaions on CU changed?

Multi-Year deals for assistants, JC admisions eased up a little, attract a future NFL QB prospect, etc.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer I believe. I know Barry Switzer did for sure. But, they're both....nevermind, dont want to start anything.:smile2:

Beat me to it...and Switzer too...I mean Switzer on the NC and Superbowl thing not any thing else, like not tipping his waiter or taking a pen form the OU AD's office...

all this excitement is nice... but I dunno how Shanny would relate to college players. In temperament he seems more Callahan then Pete carrol... :huh:

Completely disagree on this point. Shanny may have had issues with players, but by and large, he related to them well and they respected him. Even guys who ended up leaving after getting cut generally had good things to say about him.

Except he actually has credentials unlike Callahan.

Unlike Carroll, for that matter. Carroll hadn't done much of anything before he went to USC. He was a pretty mediocre coach at the NFL level. Some success, not a lot.

I think the potential QB recruits Shanny could attract would be worth it alone, not to mention exposure and fan base. Hey recruits, I was the QB coach for a young John Elway, Steve Young ( i think), and later returned to help tutor Elway to 2 super bowls...you really want to go to Nebraska?? :confused:

If you are going to take a risk as a program, you might as well take the risk with someone who has won what... 3 superbowls?

If you are going to take a risk as a program, you might as well take the risk with someone who has won what... 3 superbowls?

Two as a Head coach, one as an assistant.

I'd be thrilled if he could pull it off.

And just for the sake of crazy, wild and outlandish proposals - he brings in Kubiak as the OC and HC in waiting.

Hey, why not? :lol:

**THIS IS NOT A RUMOR, TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WITHOUT READING IN TO IT!**

I have it from an extremely reliable source (ie close family friend of the Shanahan family) that Mike Shanahan has been approached by Alumni and the CU AD on whether he would entertain and offer to coach at CU. He expressed interest and said that he would entertain the idea of a 2-year offer, but is on the fence if he wants to coach college at this point.

To me this tells me two positive things:

1.) The AD is exploring options.
2.) There is now a 5% chance that we can land Shanny rather than a 0% chance.

Again, he only stated the he would entertain a two year offer and that it would be a consideration. Take it for what it is worth and don't get too excited about it, but my source is as reliable as they come in this instance.

I'm all for it IF Shanny would agree to a two year minimum stay. During those two years they can have an assistant working under him that has already been named the next HC.

I think the two year offer answers the question about wether a college job gets Bowlen off the hook or not.

I think Shanny would be a huge shot in the arm for CU even if it was for just two years. He has a lot of name recognition. He'd probably get us some high quality assistants that would stay after the fact. I cant see them doing a two year deal without a 2nd assistant being the long term air apparent to keep recruiting moving.

I'm going to quote my cousin and say that 1. Shanny would do well recruiting (which is what we want with this good looking '11 class in colorado) 2. Shanny is a colorado guy from what I can tell 3. winners attract other winners.

Two as a Head coach, one as an assistant.

I'd be thrilled if he could pull it off.

And just for the sake of crazy, wild and outlandish proposals - he brings in Kubiak as the OC and HC in waiting.

Hey, why not? :lol:

His son, Kyle, is the current OC for Houston under Kubiak and has openly expressed interest in an opportunity to coach with his dad. Not sure how he would be as an OC at the college level but has a good bloodline!

Completely disagree on this point. Shanny may have had issues with players, but by and large, he related to them well and they respected him. Even guys who ended up leaving after getting cut generally had good things to say about him.
PC is a much more emotional coach... which is one of the reasons given as why he did not succeed at the NFL level. Shanny is much more level headed, although not nearly the cold fish Hawk has proven. Good point on the respect given. Kind of hard not to respect the guy, given his accomplishments...

Back