What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The seed has been planted...

His son, Kyle, is the current OC for Houston under Kubiak and has openly expressed interest in an opportunity to coach with his dad. Not sure how he would be as an OC at the college level but has a good bloodline!

And Kyle has ties to TX for recruiting, you know since he played there. Just keep him from jumping fences and we are good to go.:smile:

I want Shanny, but I want him to be committed to staying with the Buffs long-term. 2-years isn't my thing.

That no longer happens. Tenures are getting shorter and shorter. Im not sure Pete Caroll thought he would stay at USC as long as he has. I say, if it comes to it, we get him here and see what happens. CU no longer has the luxury of hiring affordable or unproven coaches if they wish to be relevant again. The program is in need of an injection of quality coaching and name recognition.

His son, Kyle, is the current OC for Houston under Kubiak and has openly expressed interest in an opportunity to coach with his dad. Not sure how he would be as an OC at the college level but has a good bloodline!

There would be much more of a pay cut I'd think getting a pro OC to be an OC at the college level. Especially at Colorado. Don't think that would happen.

Two as a Head coach, one as an assistant.

I'd be thrilled if he could pull it off.

And just for the sake of crazy, wild and outlandish proposals - he brings in Kubiak as the OC and HC in waiting.

Hey, why not? :lol:

Ohhhhhh

Bates as QB coach, Kubiak as OC, Greg Robinson as DC :lol:

I emailed Renaugh(?) and asked his thoughts on the matter. Told him to take off the green and gold glasses. This should be a disaster, he's an asshat.

There would be much more of a pay cut I'd think getting a pro OC to be an OC at the college level. Especially at Colorado. Don't think that would happen.

He's not likely to have a job at the end of the season, so who knows.:lol:

SD Buff, if this is some BS rumor to get some excitement out of the board, it has to be one of the best of all time. :thumbsup:

That no longer happens. Tenures are getting shorter and shorter. Im not sure Pete Caroll thought he would stay at USC as long as he has. I say, if it comes to it, we get him here and see what happens. CU no longer has the luxury of hiring affordable or unproven coaches if they wish to be relevant again. The program is in need of an injection of quality coaching and name recognition.

True. And I agree. You have to take the chance.

SD Buff, if this is some BS rumor to get some excitement out of the board, it has to be one of the best of all time. :thumbsup:

No Rumor...Like I said in the initial post, I have it from a very good source AND this is nothing to get too excited about as it is only an open discussion at this time. My main point is that the AD is exploring it's options at this point. However, it would be great if we got him.

This kind of rumor plays with my emotions. I can sit here and know that there is basically nothing like this will come true, and yet I will still be disappointed when it doesn't happen. :cry:

What I am being told is he gets $6.5M from the Broncos which would be offset by whatever he would get from CU (which is why the $500K would be resonable and why it would be only 2 years). After the 2 years was up, CU would have to pony up quite a bit IMO to keep him around.

This is where this rumor loses me. If you are correct about his contract, he'll make the same amount of money ($6.5M) next year whether he coaches at CU or goes fishing all day. Why would he coach at all unless he got an NFL job that would pay him more than the Broncos are paying him not to coach?

This is where this rumor loses me. If you are correct about his contract, he'll make the same amount of money ($6.5M) next year whether he coaches at CU or goes fishing all day. Why would he coach at all unless he got an NFL job that would pay him more than the Broncos are paying him not to coach?

My dad has plenty of money to retire, yet he keeps coming out of retirement because he likes to contribute to something and doesn't like twiddling his thumbs all day.

I suspect Shanny is the same type of guy

ambition... Love of the game?

3 reasons. 1-he would get paid 6.5 million PLUS whatever we pay him (doesnt get that fishing). Hey, every little bit helps.:smile2: 2- Stays relevant in this market with jewelry ad's and restaruant openings in the picture. 3-ego.

Because he still gets paid that amount whether he coaches a pop-warner team, a high school team, or a college team. He loves the game and apparently has done more film study/Offensive strategy, etc this last year than he has done since he began coaching. I'd rather be coaching a Div I college football team to a MNC than fishing for the same paycheck, too.

Just b/c I have gotten a few emails this morning from confused people.

SDBuff is not me ( Rivals, Scout, AZ's site) :smile2:

3 reasons. 1-he would get paid 6.5 million PLUS whatever we pay him (doesnt get that fishing). Hey, every little bit helps.:smile2: 2- Stays relevant in this market with jewelry ad's and restaruant openings in the picture. 3-ego.
What we would pay him would come out of the $6.5M, so he makes $6.5M total.

No more hiring/recruiting coaches kids!!!!!

Agreed. There is plenty of motivation for him to take the position. It would be a great hire, but you have to look at the downside too. Hey may not want to risk his legacy, I hate to say it, but if he couldn't win here it wouldn't help him get another NFL job.

Just b/c I have gotten a few emails this morning from confused people.

SDBuff is not me ( Rivals, Scout, AZ's site) :smile2:

Btw, is there a way I can change that without starting all over? I would not have registered as SDBuff if I knew there was another. Sorry for the confusion

i would love shanahan as our coach. even if he didn't achieve much success, he would bring instant credibility back to cu, which has become a complete joke under hawkins

Btw, is there a way I can change that without starting all over? I would not have registered as SDBuff if I knew there was another. Sorry for the confusion

Send me a PM with the new name you want.

**THIS IS NOT A RUMOR, TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WITHOUT READING IN TO IT!**

I have it from an extremely reliable source (ie close family friend of the Shanahan family) that Mike Shanahan has been approached by Alumni and the CU AD on whether he would entertain and offer to coach at CU. He expressed interest and said that he would entertain the idea of a 2-year offer, but is on the fence if he wants to coach college at this point.

To me this tells me two positive things:

1.) The AD is exploring options.
2.) There is now a 5% chance that we can land Shanny rather than a 0% chance.

Again, he only stated the he would entertain a two year offer and that it would be a consideration. Take it for what it is worth and don't get too excited about it, but my source is as reliable as they come in this instance.

This would be pretty underhanded by Bohn, IMHO, unless he's already had THAT discussion with Hawkins. Does Bohn seem like an underhanded kind of guy? Didn't we (and Udub) eviscerate Neweasel for doing just that?

I emailed Renaugh(?) and asked his thoughts on the matter. Told him to take off the green and gold glasses. This should be a disaster, he's an asshat.

Who is Renaugh, and why do we care what his thoughts are on the subject?

This would be pretty underhanded by Bohn, IMHO, unless he's already had THAT discussion with Hawkins. Does Bohn seem like an underhanded kind of guy? Didn't we (and Udub) eviscerate Neweasel for doing just that?
Neweasel = coach, Bohn = AD. Different imho. Plus there is the whole performance issue.

I think putting "feelers" out there is pretty standard practice. It sucks, but, I think its about the only practical thing to do when you're considering a change.

Who is Renaugh, and why do we care what his thoughts are on the subject?

D-bag on the radio. I guess we dont really care about his thoughts on the subject....thought he MAY have some insight being in the media. Doubt it.

4- It keeps his name in the game for a future NFL job.

Bohn isn't dumb. He knows full well what pays the bills and it's football. If his football team sucks, revenues drop, which makes it much more difficult to operate an athletic department. He'd be crazy to not keep his options open. If hiring Mike Shanahan would increase his revenues, he'll do it if he can.

Back