What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season is Special - ENJOY IT

The 2016 team was much more balanced and had more depth. Looking back, it's crazy to think Pritchard played a huge role on the 2016 team as well.
And the 2020 team with Pritchard as a senior instead of a freshman plus Duarte is going to probably give the Ducks the best 2 guards on the court in every game they play. Generally it is guard play and the teams with an elite player or two that make Dance runs.

I also think Arizona has a team built for the tournament based on personnel & talent, but I'm having trouble banking on freshmen.

CU has a team that could also go deep if we get the right kind of matchups. The type of team that I'd hate to see is Seton Hall - elite paint defense with an elite scorer at guard.

I was going by an ESPN crawler listing odds for teams. So I don’t know where ESPN got their odds from.

I think ESPN has a deal with the Caesar's properties.

I still have the MGM app on my phone, they're currently listed there at 40-1

Reactions: DBT
Bey said there is a possibility he will return but that he just doesn’t know at this point. He loves his teammates and would like to see what they can accomplish. Obviously it will depend a lot on his draft projections.

Bey said there is a possibility he will return but that he just doesn’t know at this point. He loves his teammates and would like to see what they can accomplish. Obviously it will depend a lot on his draft projections.
If he has a good NCAA Tournament, he gone.

If he has a good NCAA Tournament, he gone.

Tyler's in a weird situation. It's possible that returning will actually help his draft stock. I think he'd be more attractive to the NBA if he added a consistent 3 pointer to his offensive repertoire. I think he can become a decent 3 point shooter and play the equivalent of Lucas's offensive game sometimes if he returns. That said, if he gets a first round grade he should definitely go.

Tyler's in a weird situation. It's possible that returning will actually help his draft stock. I think he'd be more attractive to the NBA if he added a consistent 3 pointer to his offensive repertoire. I think he can become a decent 3 point shooter and play the equivalent of Lucas's offensive game sometimes if he returns. That said, if he gets a first round grade he should definitely go.
Umm. what do you think Bey is shooting from 3 this year?

He does shoot 1 per game - almost on the nose. he's 12-24 on the season.

You are both correct here. It is a high % on too small of a sample size to be considered relevant by scouts.
3 per game seems excessive to me, but I know little about NBA scouts.

That's interesting. Why do you think that?

I just think scouts like to see a 3 pointer as a part of a guy's offensive game--not just a one-off every few games where he lets one fly while completely unguarded. How does he shoot it when he's defended, but the defender is laying off, waiting for him to drive? How does he shoot it when someone is closing on him?

Of course, it's possible he's shown enough for a team to think he has what it takes to make those shots in the NBA.

He reminds me of mid range players from the past. If he can get to the basket, he should do so. If not, hit that little 12 to 15 footer. Throw in an occasional three, he'd be fine. I don't care if the game has changed or not, it would still work.

The TV announcers were saying something similar. Bey has the D, but the nba needs him to develop an outside shot. To me, his big weakness if handling the ball and passing under pressure. I don't think he lacks the skills, it's more a mental thing. And more college playing time might help

The TV announcers were saying something similar. Bey has the D, but the nba needs him to develop an outside shot. To me, his big weakness if handling the ball and passing under pressure. I don't think he lacks the skills, it's more a mental thing. And more college playing time might help
Yup. Every time he gets double teamed it's an adventure

I think NBA teams will look at Bey's form (pretty smooth), 3-pt % (on a small sample size), + his FT % (75%) and project that they can turn him into a 35%+ NBA 3-pt shooter, which is the minimum you need for a 3-D guy. As a Nuggets fan, if they keep the Houston first this year which will probably be 20-25 range I would love to see them draft Bey and watch him catch lobs from Jokic for the next couple of years while locking down the opposing team's best wing scorer.

Of course as a Buffs fan I would love to see him return, but I'm not sure returning elevates him any higher in the draft.

I think NBA teams will look at Bey's form (pretty smooth), 3-pt % (on a small sample size), + his FT % (75%) and project that they can turn him into a 35%+ NBA 3-pt shooter, which is the minimum you need for a 3-D guy. As a Nuggets fan, if they keep the Houston first this year which will probably be 20-25 range I would love to see them draft Bey and watch him catch lobs from Jokic for the next couple of years while locking down the opposing team's best wing scorer.

Of course as a Buffs fan I would love to see him return, but I'm not sure returning elevates him any higher in the draft.
Unless of course he and Wright lead us to our first National Championship!

Buffs listed as meeting 7 of the relevant categories in this analysis.

But Tyler Bey is a frontcourt player averaging over 12 PPG, he was probably left off because he's listed as a guard for some reason, so really meeting 8 of the listed categories. Also, one of the categories is a top 4 seed, he's using current projections of a 5 seed, so that possibly could be another check in the box.

Categories the Buffs could fall out of that they currently get checks for are Conference champion (currently first, obviously could change) and top 90 in offensive rebound rate (currently 88th).

But Tyler Bey is a frontcourt player averaging over 12 PPG, he was probably left off because he's listed as a guard for some reason, so really meeting 8 of the listed categories. Also, one of the categories is a top 4 seed, he's using current projections of a 5 seed, so that possibly could be another check in the box.

Categories the Buffs could fall out of that they currently get checks for are Conference champion (currently first, obviously could change) and top 90 in offensive rebound rate (currently 88th).

That’s very cool but do you know how many teams that have met the minimum six categories have missed the final four? If most of the teams in the sweet 16 also tick six categories then the stat is a lot less impressive

That’s very cool but do you know how many teams that have met the minimum six categories have missed the final four? If most of the teams in the sweet 16 also tick six categories then the stat is a lot less impressive

Since there are 26 teams on that list, I'd guess about 22 teams a year. It's just an indicator that we're leigt contenders, it's not intended to be predictive.

last "x" Final 4 teams, by definition, needs to be a multiple of 4. I'm guessing OP meant 10 of the last 12

And the 2020 team with Pritchard as a senior instead of a freshman plus Duarte is going to probably give the Ducks the best 2 guards on the court in every game they play. Generally it is guard play and the teams with an elite player or two that make Dance runs.

I also think Arizona has a team built for the tournament based on personnel & talent, but I'm having trouble banking on freshmen.

CU has a team that could also go deep if we get the right kind of matchups. The type of team that I'd hate to see is Seton Hall - elite paint defense with an elite scorer at guard.
I'm sorry but I don't see Oregon making a run to the Final 4 this season.

Teams that make runs in the tournament hit 3's, rebound and play great defense.

I agree, guard play in general dominates but Oregon is pretty harmless if either Pritchard or Duarte have an off game or get into foul trouble. The 2016 team had 5 guys that averaged double figures and were superior defensively with Bell and Boucher protecting the rim.

Looking at KenPom, the 2016 team was in the top 20 in both AdjO (17) and AdjD (17). This year they're 8th in AdjO but 75th in AdjD.

Back