What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Thorburn gone as of Friday? Say it ain't so, Daily Camera!

I went to CU journalism school with Howell, 20 years ago. These days, the people sticking around newspapers get "great" jobs by default because everyone else has seen the writing on the wall. Howell was a nice guy (I worked with him at Buffalo Sports News) but it was pretty clear he wasn't a great writer or reporter. It's no surprise to me at all that these are the guys left feeding off the entrails of a nearly dead industry, while the rest of us moved on long ago.

Last edited:
I went to CU journalism school with Howell, 20 years ago. These days, the people sticking around newspapers get "great" jobs by default because everyone else has seen the writing on the wall. Howell was a nice guy (I worked with him at Buffalo Sports News) but it was pretty clear he wasn't a great writer or reporter. It's no surprise to me at all that these are the guys left feeding off the entrails of a nearly dead industry, while the rest of us moved on long ago.

Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way because I hadn't really thought about it. But who would really be trying to have a career as a newspaper reporter these days? Obviously, there would be exceptions, but other than the old dogs who are winding down their career most people who had opportunities to transition out have chosen to do so. The quality of talent and people currently working is very likely to be at an all-time low not just in the Denver metro but across the nation.

Good point. I hadn't thought about it that way because I hadn't really thought about it. But who would really be trying to have a career as a newspaper reporter these days? Obviously, there would be exceptions, but other than the old dogs who are winding down their career most people who had opportunities to transition out have chosen to do so. The quality of talent and people currently working is very likely to be at an all-time low not just in the Denver metro but across the nation.

Coming out of J-School at CU, getting a beat writer gig at the DP, RMN or BDC was like finding the Holy Grail. There were thousands of guys lined up from all over the country, and you had to be damn good to get even a late night copy desk job taking calls from JV girls wrestling coaches with scores. Those days are long gone. Still impossible to get a job, but only because so many reporters have been laid off. And for how long can you even expect to have a newspaper job anymore? 5 years has to be the most job security any of them can reasonably expect. And the real writing talent is not even considering the print dinosaurs these days. They're only legitimized because they have press credentials.

Journos are the folks too dumb to even teach in public schools. And we all know: those who can't do, teach! What would you expect?

Journos are the folks too dumb to even teach in public schools. And we all know: those who can't do, teach! What would you expect?

This post makes no sense.

In context, that expression means that if you can't excel in a craft than you teach it.

You've reversed it completely suggesting that they're too "dumb" to teach that craft so they're doing it, while still using the the exact opposite point to support that notion. But you also--and inexplicably, I might add--use "public school" education as the standard, which even makes less sense, since in context of the quote we'd expect the journalist to be teaching journalism.

In short, your logic in this post is flawed.

In context, that expression means that if you can't excel in a craft than you teach it.

You've reversed it completely suggesting that they're too "dumb" to teach that craft so they're doing it, while still using the the exact opposite point to support that notion. But you also--and inexplicably, I might add--use "public school" education as the standard, which even makes less sense, since in context of the quote we'd expect the journalist to be teaching journalism.

Well he does teach logic.

Consider the source.

Semper Gumby

I realized what has been bothering me so much about the media coverage I'm seeing. The problem is that I was still holding onto ideals that don't exist any more. I think of being a journalist as a noble profession. I'm coming to grips with the fact that it is not and that there may not be such a thing as a "noble profession" except in a false cultural mythos I bought into.

Interesting take. I was looking at it from a "what makes him think journalists and teachers are analogous?" perspective. Does he have quantitative or anecdotal knowledge that journalists strive to be teachers but fail at such endeavors? Or does he see journalists as teachers to their readers? Also, there's a hint of condescending attitude towards public school teachers. Does this suggest a private school upbringing, and thus seen as superior to a public school education?

And the "those who can't do, teach" bit is ambiguous. At first I thought of Mike MacIntyre. He is a teacher of football. Does he considered MM less intelligent on the subject of football than those who currently play? If you take the context in which it was said (teachers aren't doers, and that's bad) and apply it to MM, the answer would be yes.

To be fair to the poster, can't rush to judgement until questions are answered but all signs point to this not adding up correctly.

Interesting take. I was looking at it from a "what makes him think journalists and teachers are analogous?" perspective. Does he have quantitative or anecdotal knowledge that journalists strive to be teachers but fail at such endeavors? Or does he see journalists as teachers to their readers? Also, there's a hint of condescending attitude towards public school teachers. Does this suggest a private school upbringing, and thus seen as superior to a public school education?

And the "those who can't do, teach" bit is ambiguous. At first I thought of Mike MacIntyre. He is a teacher of football. Does he considered MM less intelligent on the subject of football than those who currently play? If you take the context in which it was said (teachers aren't doers, and that's bad) and apply it to MM, the answer would be yes.

To be fair to the poster, can't rush to judgement until questions are answered but all signs point to this not adding up correctly.

This is what I meant.

Semper Gumby

I'm concerned by your lack of certainty regarding the phrase "those who can't do, teach." Your post makes a little more sense than Whizzer's, but you're not blowing any doors off in this contest (that expression does not literally mean to blow somebody's doors off, for the record).

I'm concerned by your lack of certainty regarding the phrase "those who can't do, teach." Your post makes a little more sense than Whizzer's, but you're not blowing any doors off in this contest (that expression does not literally mean to blow somebody's doors off, for the record).

Contest implies there's something to be won by figuring out what he meant. What would that be?

I realized what has been bothering me so much about the media coverage I'm seeing. The problem is that I was still holding onto ideals that don't exist any more. I think of being a journalist as a noble profession. I'm coming to grips with the fact that it is not and that there may not be such a thing as a "noble profession" except in a false cultural mythos I bought into.

Most journalists are hacks. It's evident in their prose, whether print or online.

Contest implies there's something to be won by figuring out what he meant. What would that be?

That line was stolen from that great Western Civ philospher and pedophile: Woody Allen - "Those who can't do teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

Hate to thread jack, but Thorburn is still listed on the BDC website contact page. Is it possible that he took a vacation after basketball season?? If he had left, you would think they would have removed his name by now.

Hate to thread jack, but Thorburn is still listed on the BDC website contact page. Is it possible that he took a vacation after basketball season?? If he had left, you would think they would have removed his name by now.

Don't know. Word is that he was laid off.

Didn't one of the papers lift a photo (concerning the stadium naming rights) off this board? Pretty much confirms that they are stealing info off of here. I believe they had to do a mea culpa and credit the photographer iirc.

Now that you mention it, I think that did happen.

That's exactly what happened. I took that picture and nobody from the BDC ever asked permission before they lifted it and put it up on Buffzone.

Too bad if true. Thorburn did a great job on the basketball beat the past couple of years and as such really improved the fan experience of following the team.

Are sites like allbuffs taking away these guys jobs? If so, why can't we take away Mark Kizla and John Henderson's jobs?

That's exactly what happened. I took that picture and nobody from the BDC ever asked permission before they lifted it and put it up on Buffzone.

That's pretty cut and dry copyright infringement...and really questionable for a 'journalism' entity to attempt, that's journalism 101 kind of stuff.

I won't say who this was, but I recall getting a notice a few years back from someone at the Denver Post. It was ironic:

"Hey guys - I am just doing some research on a few Colorado prep players that are considering CU. However, I noticed that one of your pictures is from the Denver Post and you will have to take that down."

O.K.

Thorburn...and by quite a bit. Howell moved over from the LTC a few years ago. Ryan was at the DC for about 10 years, if not more.

That's what I though which makes this even stranger especially considering that Thorburn is the one with the basketball expertise and he seemed like the better writer. And why unnecessarily bring in an additional guy in the first place only to fire someone else and site budget problems as the reason.

That's what I though which makes this even stranger especially considering that Thorburn is the one with the basketball expertise and he seemed like the better writer. And why unnecessarily bring in an additional guy in the first place only to fire someone else and site budget problems as the reason.

It is the same company so it was more of a consolidation than a case of bringing in a new guy. My guess on Thorburn is that Howell is likely much cheaper.

Back