What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tim Deruyter: 2012 Colorado Coaching search profile

Sounds like the guy with the most Colorado ties. Graduated/coached at AF, along with a Masters from DU

Sounds like the guy with the most Colorado ties. Graduated/coached at AF, along with a Masters from DU

Sure...but where are people hearing anything about him being the guy. Twitter is very quiet, which would be blowing up if any deal was reached.

So I was thinking and pretty much every single hire Bohn has made has ties to the state of Colorado. Liz Kritza, Linda Lappe, Tad Boyle, Jeff Bzdelik, Jon Embree, Danny Sanchez (all minus Hawkins/the WLAX coach). DeRuyter seems like the only one that fits the bill

The only thing holding back the Deruyter conversation is that he's only had 1 season as a HC. Pat Hill was a great talent evaluator and a lot of coaches could win with his roster. If Deruyter is interested, I'd think this is the main thing he'll have to overcome in interviews.

Exactly me too. This was my original #1, but then I moved to Anderson.
But like them both.
Where are we hearing that this is the guy?

Sorry, I had to actually do some work today. I heard it from a friend here in Salt Lake City who knows people at Utah State. Apparently Gary Andersen was notified that we are going to hire Deruyter and are just working out the details.

I like DeRuyter, but I'm not sure how much. Recruiting is a concern, hopefully he hires some solid assistants that are recruiting machines. Fresno wasn't exactly in the same place SJSU or USU was when he took over, so it's hard to compare him with Anderson or MacIntyre. I also hope we get their OC, how a school like Fresno gets a guy that qualified while we have to suffer through the EBs and Kiseaus of the world is beyond me.

If DeRuyter is the guy I am going to be thrilled. He is the only candidate we have been speaking about (except maybe Tedford who we always knew was not coming) that meets basically all the criteria I thought was important (e.g. HC experience, BCS experience, recruiting experience in the Pac 12 footprint, some exposure to Colorado...)

I am crossing my fingers on this one.

On top of that he outcoached Embree probably more than any other team we played. Our team should have been competitive with theirs, or at least close, and he whipped us up and down the field.

You'd sure think that after getting over the fact that their new coach spanked us, the team would have to have respect for the guy right away.

Agree with all the strengths/weaknesses everyone making. Still personally very positive on this choice: defense wins. Believe Bohn's first job had him at USAFA during DeRuyter's senior year.

As expected, many Fresno State fans are tweeting Deruyter and asking him to stay. His response is telling: we are very blessed to be here and thankful to be a part of Bulldog football. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

He's saying what he has to without making a commitment. I'm telling you, this is our guy. Looking forward to seeing Shane Dillon sling the ball around in his offense. We'll need to recruit some LBs and WRs.

He's saying what he has to without making a commitment. I'm telling you, this is our guy. Looking forward to seeing Shane Dillon sling the ball around in his offense. We'll need to recruit some LBs and WRs.

I also have a sense it is him and if so I will be very happy. But you just never know if Bohn has something else up his sleeves.

I think DeRuyter is a phenomenal coach. He helped turn around Ohio and Nevada as well as helped AFA have some of their best defensive years ever. He got A&M to improve their defense significantly. He took a fairly talented Fresno team and beat us as bad as Oregon and USC did this year, maybe even worse! I would be very happy with this hire if he is our guy.

My dream hire would be Deruyter as HC, bring Dave Schramm with him as OC, and lure Kalani Sitake away from Utah to be Asst. HC, DC, and recruiting coordinator. Schramm and Sitake worked together at Utah from 2005 to 2011. Imagine Shane Dillon running a spread offense with an aggressive 3-4 defense anchored by big Polynesian linemen and fast linebackers. The B & G would be exciting and fearsome again.

Ah, if only...

Honest question here - are you guys not worried about the supposed knock on him that he wasn't a good recruiter at aTm?

Honest question here - are you guys not worried about the supposed knock on him that he wasn't a good recruiter at aTm?
I'm no recruiting guru, so this is likely an uninformed opinion (never stopped me before), but I believe the HC is more of a closer now with all the NCAA restrictions on the HC directly recruiting players. If he's surrounded with top recruiters, I don't have any issues.

Head coaches recruit by winning. Spurrier has blown off blue chips in for visits because he didn't want to miss a tee time.

Deruyter seems to have a good coaching network within our recruiting geography and I think he'd be able to hire well for recruiting efforts regardless of his personal ability. If it's a concern, it's way down on my list.

DeRuyter + Stitt + Good coaching tree to fill out staff = pretty good hire IMO

I'm no recruiting guru, so this is likely an uninformed opinion (never stopped me before), but I believe the HC is more of a closer now with all the NCAA restrictions on the HC directly recruiting players. If he's surrounded with top recruiters, I don't have any issues.

I believe this is right. Even Embree, who was a good recruiter regardless of his other failings, said it was a big adjustment for him when he became the HC and could only meet with each kid one time.

DeRuyter is my #1a. Him or Andersen seem like a great fit for CU. Even if CU is a launching pad for either to get an elite job, they'll bring us up with them for a few years and we'll hopefully keep that momentum rolling.

Back